Camarillo Vons to move to former Kmart

California. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

Camarillo Vons to move to former Kmart

Post by pseudo3d »

Moving from a 39k square foot site in the shopping center) to a 63k square foot site at the former Kmart. It's a decent-looking Kmart store from the outside, and quite large (100k square feet). The Kmart, however, would need significant reconstruction for modern shipping docks, but even so, 63k square feet looks a bit on the skimpy side given what they have to work with.

https://www.thecamarilloacorn.com/artic ... mart-site/
storewanderer

Re: Camarillo Vons to move to former Kmart

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: November 20th, 2020, 7:28 pm Moving from a 39k square foot site in the shopping center) to a 63k square foot site at the former Kmart. It's a decent-looking Kmart store from the outside, and quite large (100k square feet). The Kmart, however, would need significant reconstruction for modern shipping docks, but even so, 63k square feet looks a bit on the skimpy side given what they have to work with.

https://www.thecamarilloacorn.com/artic ... mart-site/
63k square feet seems to be the prototype Albertsons layout/style Store they are building now. They probably figured it was worth doing this vs. remodeling the existing store which needs work. I also see they will build a gas station and 3k square foot convenience store following the Albertsons Express model I assume.
klkla

Post by klkla »

pseudo3d wrote: November 20th, 2020, 7:28 pm The Kmart, however, would need significant reconstruction for modern shipping docks, but even so, 63k square feet looks a bit on the skimpy side given what they have to work with.
The article mentions that the KMart is being torn down. it also makes it sound like the new Vons will be the exact same size as the former KMart which I doubt. By SoCal standards 63,000 sq. ft. is huge for a supermarket.

The Vons is a former Safeway. I remember going into many years ago and it didn't have any service departments except for a salad bar which seemed really odd.
Super S

Post by Super S »

klkla wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 8:20 pm
pseudo3d wrote: November 20th, 2020, 7:28 pm The Kmart, however, would need significant reconstruction for modern shipping docks, but even so, 63k square feet looks a bit on the skimpy side given what they have to work with.
The article mentions that the KMart is being torn down. it also makes it sound like the new Vons will be the exact same size as the former KMart which I doubt. By SoCal standards 63,000 sq. ft. is huge for a supermarket.

The Vons is a former Safeway. I remember going into many years ago and it didn't have any service departments except for a salad bar which seemed really odd.
WinCo somehow managed to make an old, existing building work when they opened a "Waremart by WinCo" store in a portion of a 1970s Kmart in Ontario, Oregon.

The picture in that article makes it hard to tell how old that Kmart was, I know Kmart had to build some locations with a different appearance in California to comply with local building codes. I could see tearing the building down if it was 1970s or older, but it seems like most of the 1990s era buildings have some life left in them.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Super S wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 8:35 am The picture in that article makes it hard to tell how old that Kmart was, I know Kmart had to build some locations with a different appearance in California to comply with local building codes. I could see tearing the building down if it was 1970s or older, but it seems like most of the 1990s era buildings have some life left in them.
Aside from the orange tiles on the roof, that facade could be almost an identical twin to a Super K in Amsterdam, NY which was built in 1994. The only difference would be instead of those tiles they used a medium green(ish) tin and white paint. Store was a replacement for a former Grants not even a mile away they moved into sometime in the '70's and the new store itself didn't last long-gone by the end of 2000. Place sat empty for several years and was eventually demolished and replaced by a Target which opened in later 2008.
klkla

Post by klkla »

Looking at the KMart in 2D view on Google Maps it looks like the building has been expanded a couple times from what it was originally:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vons/ ... 119.037016
klkla

Post by klkla »

I found a PDF from the property owner that has drawings of how the shopping center will look after the remodel.

The KMart is definitely being torn down. The new store will be built to the left of the stores that are next to the current Vons and will face Arneill Road. The KMart faced Ponderosa Drive.

Vons will gain a lot more parking as well as a stand alone mini-mart and fuel pumps.

http://www.investecrealestate.com/wp-co ... hure-1.pdf

Page 4 has the site plan.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 8:20 pm
Salad bar in the 80's/early 90's was under the jurisdiction of the produce department at Safeway. So that may be why it had a salad bar but no other service departments.
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 5:23 pm salad bar in the 80's/early 90's was under the jurisdiction of the produce department at Safeway. So that may be why it had a salad bar but no other service departments.
Not in Southern California. The salad bars were part of the service deli department. They set aside a small prep area for the deli clerks to run these salad bars in medium volume stores that couldn't support a full service deli.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 1:10 pm I found a PDF from the property owner that has drawings of how the shopping center will look after the remodel.

The KMart is definitely being torn down. The new store will be built to the left of the stores that are next to the current Vons and will face Arneill Road. The KMart faced Ponderosa Drive.

Vons will gain a lot more parking as well as a stand alone mini-mart and fuel pumps.

http://www.investecrealestate.com/wp-co ... hure-1.pdf

Page 4 has the site plan.
That is a weird Kmart building. No garden area? I wonder what it was originally.

The only thing is the Vons gas station may make more sense at the corner of the lot, but that would make for a very odd parking lot for the Vons. The way the gas station sits it sort of looks like it obstructs the flow of the entire parking lot.