Ralphs, Food 4 Less to Close 3 Los Angeles Stores over $5 per hour extra Hazard Pay

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Ralphs, Food 4 Less to Close 3 Los Angeles Stores over $5 per hour extra Hazard Pay

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: March 26th, 2021, 11:15 am
ACI could take the store at Slauson/Crenshaw and convert it to either Albertsons or Vons, as it is a few miles from the nearest ACI store.
The Pico Ralphs is blocks away from a Pavilions, so they wouldn't take it.
The Hollywood F4L could become a Market Street format.
[/quote]

If the Hollywood F4L could support a Market Street format, why did Kroger have it branded F4L in the first place? Why wasn't it a full format Ralphs or previously Ralphs Marketplace?
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Ralphs, Food 4 Less to Close 3 Los Angeles Stores over $5 per hour extra Hazard Pay

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: March 26th, 2021, 5:59 pm If the Hollywood F4L could support a Market Street format, why did Kroger have it branded F4L in the first place? Why wasn't it a full format Ralphs or previously Ralphs Marketplace?
This was a Ralphs Giant store years ago, according to CalItalian. They were a forerunner to Kroger Marketplaces.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I do not believe that area would be good for a Market Street format for a bunch of reasons.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: March 27th, 2021, 6:40 am I do not believe that area would be good for a Market Street format for a bunch of reasons.
I assume that is why it was downgraded to a F4L in the first place. Though as far as F4Ls go it is top of the line (service meat, larger than usual, etc.).
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: March 26th, 2021, 11:15 am
storewanderer wrote: March 10th, 2021, 9:22 pm Well, okay then... continue closing stores and losing market share over temporary wage mandates that can be easily addressed through price increases.

Perhaps Albertsons would like to add 3 locations. Or any other operator.

Customers will not forget these moves. Most customers seem to be in support of the wage increase (easy for them to support it, it isn't coming out of their wallet directly anyway)... so not sure what Kroger is accomplishing here. Certainly not accomplishing a positive image for customers, employees, or the neighborhoods. Even I don't like this and this does not make me want to go run out and support Kroger.
ACI could take the store at Slauson/Crenshaw and convert it to either Albertsons or Vons, as it is a few miles from the nearest ACI store.
The Pico Ralphs is blocks away from a Pavilions, so they wouldn't take it.
The Hollywood F4L could become a Market Street format.
The nearby Pavilions on Olympic Blvd to the closing Pico Blvd. Ralphs is a tiny store. It was once a small Safeway, then Pavilions Place and now just Pavilions. They added a tiny area onto the store a number of years ago but it's really too small for the area (as is the Ralphs Fresh Fare on Beverly & Doheny, a former Hughes Market). But it is in a great location. And the parking situation is much better than Ralphs.

As for the Food 4 Less, it has been slated for redevelopment into 735 apartments and nearly 100,000 sq. ft. of retail for about 5 years. I don't know the current status of this project but it's #10 on this list. https://la.curbed.com/maps/new-apartmen ... lywood-map
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote: March 27th, 2021, 11:00 am
veteran+ wrote: March 27th, 2021, 6:40 am I do not believe that area would be good for a Market Street format for a bunch of reasons.
I assume that is why it was downgraded to a F4L in the first place. Though as far as F4Ls go it is top of the line (service meat, larger than usual, etc.).
And they built an underground Ralphs at Hollywood and Western, just a few blocks north, as part of a redevelopment project related to the subway station on the same corner in the last 20 years. The Ralphs is closer to the more affluent Los Feliz area. The East Hollywood neighborhood Food 4 Less (former Zody's, former The Giant) is in wasn't great for many years. Only recently has that neighborhood started its long awaited gentrification.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Jewish community dismayed at Kroger’s closure of Ralphs in Pico-Robertson. Protests inside store.

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ing-stores
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

CalItalian wrote: April 5th, 2021, 12:00 pm Jewish community dismayed at Kroger’s closure of Ralphs in Pico-Robertson. Protests inside store.

I suggest they focus their efforts on getting another grocer to take the space. And ensuring Ralphs doesn't pay rent on the empty building to keep a competitor grocer from opening inside...
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: April 6th, 2021, 12:34 am
CalItalian wrote: April 5th, 2021, 12:00 pm Jewish community dismayed at Kroger’s closure of Ralphs in Pico-Robertson. Protests inside store.

I suggest they focus their efforts on getting another grocer to take the space. And ensuring Ralphs doesn't pay rent on the empty building to keep a competitor grocer from opening inside...
Per the article, Ralphs has occupied the space since 1996; prior to that, it was an Alpha Beta. If the narrative that the entire store was completely rebuilt is correct, it's probable the lease was expiring and Kroger was unable to reach acceptable terms for a renewal.
klkla

Post by klkla »

The store never reached its sales goal. The underground parking lot is not well designed. A lot of people avoid it for this reason and shop at Pavilions on Beverly or Vons on Pico & Fairfax.