Ralphs, Food 4 Less to Close 3 Los Angeles Stores over $5 per hour extra Hazard Pay

California. No non-grocery posts.
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Re: Ralphs, Food 4 Less to Close 3 Los Angeles Stores over $5 per hour extra Hazard Pay

Post by Bluelightspecial »

Ralph's has very good Kosher merchandising that it has in a handful of stores. Some stores have separate Kosher service delis. Albertsons, Vons or Pavilions or any other chain can't or don't want to compete at that level. This is why the community is upset. It's ironic since Albertsons has Jewel stores with extensive kosher sections in some stores in Chicago. The issue is with the store itself. Access is terrible. Parking is terrible and I'm sure the lease is to expensive.
storewanderer

Re: Ralphs, Food 4 Less to Close 3 Los Angeles Stores over $5 per hour extra Hazard Pay

Post by storewanderer »

Bluelightspecial wrote: April 6th, 2021, 9:57 pm Ralph's has very good Kosher merchandising that it has in a handful of stores. Some stores have separate Kosher service delis. Albertsons, Vons or Pavilions or any other chain can't or don't want to compete at that level. This is why the community is upset. It's ironic since Albertsons has Jewel stores with extensive kosher sections in some stores in Chicago. The issue is with the store itself. Access is terrible. Parking is terrible and I'm sure the lease is to expensive.
Previously, Albertsons had some Kosher programs in SoCal. I guess Supervalu took care of those.
http://www.jewishworldreview.com/kosher/west.asp

Also they had them in Mercer Island, WA and one in Portland (around Beaverton). I recall they somewhat recently (before Safeway merger) closed both of those stores. The programs were similar to Ralphs.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

The Portland kosher offerings moved to the rebuilt Barbur Blvd. Safeway. The Albertsons and a nearby Fred Meyer do have some more Jewish foods, but definitely no Passover themed signs like in the article.

I was at Raleigh Hills Fred Meyer and a small end cap sized wall was clearly set aside for items that had been blessed for Passover.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: April 6th, 2021, 10:25 pm Also they had them in Mercer Island, WA and one in Portland (around Beaverton). I recall they somewhat recently (before Safeway merger) closed both of those stores. The programs were similar to Ralphs.
They closed those two after the Safeway merger. The Mercer Island store had a higher end version of what you call the "Larry interior". That store had a blue Sav-on sign for some reason.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: April 7th, 2021, 9:47 am
storewanderer wrote: April 6th, 2021, 10:25 pm Also they had them in Mercer Island, WA and one in Portland (around Beaverton). I recall they somewhat recently (before Safeway merger) closed both of those stores. The programs were similar to Ralphs.
They closed those two after the Safeway merger. The Mercer Island store had a higher end version of what you call the "Larry interior". That store had a blue Sav-on sign for some reason.
Yes, I have some photos of that Mercer Island Store. I thought I had some of the Kosher store in Portland too but can't seem to find those so maybe I didn't get any. The Mercer Island Store was much nicer than the Portland one and had a more extensive offering of Kosher, also had a salad bar (rare for Albertsons). It was too bad that it had to close. It seemed to be run well (even under Supervalu, one of those mysterious stores where they kept it up well).
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: April 8th, 2021, 12:40 am The Mercer Island Store was much nicer than the Portland one and had a more extensive offering of Kosher, also had a salad bar (rare for Albertsons). It was too bad that it had to close. It seemed to be run well (even under Supervalu, one of those mysterious stores where they kept it up well).
Another nice Albertsons around Seattle was the Lake Stevens store (might've been the only Seattle area Albertsons to have a Jewel interior). It was divested back to SVU (County Market), then Saar's.