Vons WLA closing, new Pavilions to replace

California. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

Re: Vons WLA closing, new Pavilions to replace

Post by pseudo3d »

According to Flickr, Several years before buying Safeway, Albertsons (Cerberus) had sold a store near TCU for a new mixed-use development to be built with an Albertsons below it. Instead, the developer ended up selling the land (it was right around the time of the recession) to Kroger (whoops). Albertsons then bought what was once a Minyard nearby (smaller, older store in an arguably worse location).

It definitely isn't out of the question that Albertsons/Safeway would want to lease a ground-level market.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

pseudo3d wrote:According to Flickr, Several years before buying Safeway, Albertsons (Cerberus) had sold a store near TCU for a new mixed-use development to be built with an Albertsons below it. Instead, the developer ended up selling the land (it was right around the time of the recession) to Kroger (whoops). Albertsons then bought what was once a Minyard nearby (smaller, older store in an arguably worse location).

It definitely isn't out of the question that Albertsons/Safeway would want to lease a ground-level market.
It's not only not out of the question, Albertsons/Safeway is planning on building a new Tom Thumb (of all stores) as a ground-level market:

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/ ... tiwn.html/
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Not going to be a Pavilions replacing the old Marina style Vons(former Safeway) which has already been demolished but a 55,000 sq. ft. Whole Foods Market.

http://www.smobserved.com/story/2017/10 ... /3163.html

There are 4 nearby Whole Foods Markets, a former Westward Ho on San Vicente in Brentwood, another in Westwood Village (former Safeway then turned 4-plex movie theatre), National Blvd. & Barrington, another former Westward Ho and Wilshire Blvd. & 22nd in Santa Monica which was a new build. The closest supermarket is Ralphs Fresh Fare on Olympic and Barrington.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

CalItalian wrote: November 6th, 2017, 6:41 pm Not going to be a Pavilions replacing the old Marina style Vons(former Safeway) which has already been demolished but a 55,000 sq. ft. Whole Foods Market.

There are 4 nearby Whole Foods Markets, a former Westward Ho on San Vicente in Brentwood, another in Westwood Village (former Safeway then turned 4-plex movie theatre), National Blvd. & Barrington, another former Westward Ho and Wilshire Blvd. & 22nd in Santa Monica which was a new build. The closest supermarket is Ralphs Fresh Fare on Olympic and Barrington.
From the sounds of it, it looks like the Vons is still open but probably will end up getting evicted soon enough.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

pseudo3d wrote: November 6th, 2017, 9:28 pm
CalItalian wrote: November 6th, 2017, 6:41 pm Not going to be a Pavilions replacing the old Marina style Vons(former Safeway) which has already been demolished but a 55,000 sq. ft. Whole Foods Market.

From the sounds of it, it looks like the Vons is still open but probably will end up getting evicted soon enough.
I live about 1.5 miles from the property. They tore down the Vons & adjacent stores (one time Thrifty Jr. and a 2-story onetime bookstore in front of the property) a few years ago. They've been using it as a dirt parking lot for new autos behind some rather tall solid wooden fencing.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

CalItalian wrote: November 7th, 2017, 8:05 pm

I live about 1.5 miles from the property. They tore down the Vons & adjacent stores (one time Thrifty Jr. and a 2-story onetime bookstore in front of the property) a few years ago. They've been using it as a dirt parking lot for new autos behind some rather tall solid wooden fencing.
So it has. I wonder when Safeway/Albertsons gave up on the property. I almost wondered if they gave up because there was an Albertsons nearby, but the closest one closed in 2013 and is now Bristol Farms.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

pseudo3d wrote: November 7th, 2017, 8:13 pm
CalItalian wrote: November 7th, 2017, 8:05 pm

So it has. I wonder when Safeway/Albertsons gave up on the property. I almost wondered if they gave up because there was an Albertsons nearby, but the closest one closed in 2013 and is now Bristol Farms.
Actually, the closest store was a Pavilions on Wilshire Blvd. that was behind a high rise office building (it will not be a supermarket again). That store, in the end, had no customers. I'd go in and they'd have one checkout lane open and nobody in line during mid-afternoon hours. The closest Vons or Pavilions (there are no longer any Albertsons in West Los Angeles) is a Vons on National & Sepulveda. Next closest is Vons is on Wilshire in Santa Monica.
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

The Vons on National and Manning/I-10 is not far either.
klkla

Post by klkla »

pseudo3d wrote: November 7th, 2017, 8:13 pmSo it has. I wonder when Safeway/Albertsons gave up on the property. I almost wondered if they gave up because there was an Albertsons nearby, but the closest one closed in 2013 and is now Bristol Farms.
It wasn't so much that they 'gave up' on the property. Saying they 'cashed out' would be more accurate. Safeway sold a lot of property right before selling out to Albertson's.

The case with Albertson's on Wilshire was a little different. The new owner of the property did not want to renew Albertson's lease.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

klkla wrote: November 9th, 2017, 1:31 pm
pseudo3d wrote: November 7th, 2017, 8:13 pmSo it has. I wonder when Safeway/Albertsons gave up on the property. I almost wondered if they gave up because there was an Albertsons nearby, but the closest one closed in 2013 and is now Bristol Farms.
It wasn't so much that they 'gave up' on the property. Saying they 'cashed out' would be more accurate. Safeway sold a lot of property right before selling out to Albertson's.
Was it in a bid to raise money and try to keep the remaining divisions together as long as they could, or was it to prevent Albertsons from selling off stores LLC-style?