Fred Meyer "Spokane Test" - eliminate dedicated electronics, reduce GM, expand liquor/food, require card for sale prices

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Fred Meyer "Spokane Test" - eliminate dedicated electronics, reduce GM, expand liquor/food, require card for sale pr

Post by pseudo3d » September 11th, 2017, 8:21 am

storewanderer wrote:
I don't know anyone who thinks the cards save them money anymore. People are tired of cards. Requiring a card to get sale pricing is something that needs to go away at the present time when physical stores need to make things as easy for the customer as possible, not something to implement at the present time and play off as some sort of innovation. Some people enjoy the gas rewards though I suppose. Kroger obviously wants the shopper data and knows the only way they can get a majority of customers to use the card is to force them to in order to give them sale pricing.

When Kroger (et. al.) started using cards, it was to get shopper data, which was needed as a lot of people were still paying with cash or check at the grocery store. With credit cards you don't need an additional card.

The fact that Albertsons is keeping the card at the Safeway stores confuses and infuriates me (and it is different than J4U), as getting rid of the card was one of the best LLC-era moves.

Super S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Fred Meyer "Spokane Test" - eliminate dedicated electronics, reduce GM, expand liquor/food, require card for sale pr

Post by Super S » September 11th, 2017, 10:02 am

pseudo3d wrote:
storewanderer wrote:
I don't know anyone who thinks the cards save them money anymore. People are tired of cards. Requiring a card to get sale pricing is something that needs to go away at the present time when physical stores need to make things as easy for the customer as possible, not something to implement at the present time and play off as some sort of innovation. Some people enjoy the gas rewards though I suppose. Kroger obviously wants the shopper data and knows the only way they can get a majority of customers to use the card is to force them to in order to give them sale pricing.

When Kroger (et. al.) started using cards, it was to get shopper data, which was needed as a lot of people were still paying with cash or check at the grocery store. With credit cards you don't need an additional card.

The fact that Albertsons is keeping the card at the Safeway stores confuses and infuriates me (and it is different than J4U), as getting rid of the card was one of the best LLC-era moves.

What also infuriates me is that Safeway sometimes requires the card, the app, AND a coupon for sale prices on certain items. All of these gimmicks are opening the door wide to Amazon and others such as Walmart and WinCo.

I tend to not shop at stores requiring cards (unless I need something quickly), and do not participate in card programs when they are optional. I won't even give a zip code when asked. And I flat out refused to give a name when Radio Shack asked for it over the years.

There are those people, however, that think that their can of Green Giant vegetables sold in Safeway is somehow higher quality than that same can sold at WinCo...these are the people who like the cards....