New Fred Meyer eCommerce site in beta

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Post Reply
SamSpade
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Posts: 560
Joined: September 13th, 2015, 4:39 pm
Status: Offline

New Fred Meyer eCommerce site in beta

Post by SamSpade » October 9th, 2018, 8:34 pm

The banner ad for this the other day looked really fake, but I did a search and the site seems legit.

Kroger is starting an eCommerce site for the Fred Meyer division beyond food:
https://direct.fredmeyer.com/
In beta currently.

Finally bringing back means for Alaska bush orders?

babs
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 131
Joined: December 20th, 2016, 3:08 pm
Status: Offline

Re: New Fred Meyer eCommerce site in beta

Post by babs » October 9th, 2018, 9:15 pm

SamSpade wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 8:34 pm
The banner ad for this the other day looked really fake, but I did a search and the site seems legit.

Kroger is starting an eCommerce site for the Fred Meyer division beyond food:
https://direct.fredmeyer.com/
In beta currently.

Finally bringing back means for Alaska bush orders?
5-10 years ago this would have been a no-brainer. Today, I can't think why I would buy from Fred Meyer online rather than just order from Amazon. Fuel points?

Super S
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1280
Joined: April 1st, 2009, 9:27 pm
Status: Offline

Re: New Fred Meyer eCommerce site in beta

Post by Super S » October 10th, 2018, 9:02 am

I heard an ad on the radio for this the other day. It will be interesting to see how this works, as many Fred Meyer stores seem to be focusing more on food and less on general merchandise.

arizonaguy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Posts: 601
Joined: July 12th, 2013, 6:07 pm
Status: Offline

Re: New Fred Meyer eCommerce site in beta

Post by arizonaguy » October 10th, 2018, 10:52 pm

babs wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 9:15 pm
SamSpade wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 8:34 pm
The banner ad for this the other day looked really fake, but I did a search and the site seems legit.

Kroger is starting an eCommerce site for the Fred Meyer division beyond food:
https://direct.fredmeyer.com/
In beta currently.

Finally bringing back means for Alaska bush orders?
5-10 years ago this would have been a no-brainer. Today, I can't think why I would buy from Fred Meyer online rather than just order from Amazon. Fuel points?
I like to spread my e-commerce business around. I've found oftentimes other sites are cheaper (oftentimes significantly) than Amazon. I use Amazon primarily for items I can't get anywhere else. For items which are sold by multiple retailers I tend to go for the cheapest price.

babs
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 131
Joined: December 20th, 2016, 3:08 pm
Status: Offline

Re: New Fred Meyer eCommerce site in beta

Post by babs » October 11th, 2018, 7:59 am

arizonaguy wrote:
October 10th, 2018, 10:52 pm
babs wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 9:15 pm
SamSpade wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 8:34 pm
The banner ad for this the other day looked really fake, but I did a search and the site seems legit.

Kroger is starting an eCommerce site for the Fred Meyer division beyond food:
https://direct.fredmeyer.com/
In beta currently.

Finally bringing back means for Alaska bush orders?
5-10 years ago this would have been a no-brainer. Today, I can't think why I would buy from Fred Meyer online rather than just order from Amazon. Fuel points?
I like to spread my e-commerce business around. I've found oftentimes other sites are cheaper (oftentimes significantly) than Amazon. I use Amazon primarily for items I can't get anywhere else. For items which are sold by multiple retailers I tend to go for the cheapest price.
I agree with you. The problem here for Fred Meyer is two-fold.

One, Fred Meyer tends to have higher everyday prices for non-food items in their stores (unless there is some crazy sale going on) than stores like Target and Walmart. Are they willing to play the price game long-term?

Two, Amazon will likely cross the 50% threshold this holiday season. Meaning that 50% of ALL online sales will take place on Amazon. Add in Walmart, Target, Home Depot, and there's less and less market share available for a general merchant like Fred Meyer. Fred Meyer really doesn't sell anything unique or exclusive. Specialty retailers can successfully compete with Amazon but it's much tough for general merchandise retailers who have to resort to price and shipping discounts which squeeze margins.

It will be interesting to watch.

Post Reply