Fred Meyer Remodels Continue

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Super S
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Fred Meyer Remodels Continue

Post by Super S » December 2nd, 2018, 9:15 am

SamSpade wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 9:02 am
I truly hope Kroger has Idaho Falls on its 2019 update list. I was in the store with my mom this holiday weekend and while they do have some good things (no yellow shirt door employees making you feel like you're shoplifting) the store is really falling behind in both modern Kroger trends in their own company as well as contemporary retailing in general.

In the bedding department, there was one of those "short" display prop mattresses still out but no sheets or items on top of it. The department signs in home / hardware are all the original ones so sun fade is sinking in.

In grocery, the meat/seafood display and dairy and freezer cases are all original from when the store opened in 1997. Those are probably becoming quite inefficient and requiring maintenance. With Kroger pushing "green" a few years ago, seems strange. The aisles all still have florescent light bulbs above the aisles, something most locations lost at least a decade ago. Natural choices is a separate department. Wine and beer is small.

Home electronics is still a huge separate department at the front of the store including the dated "Music market" cursive logo. Thank goodness this store was "post neon" or it would really look like a turkey.

The exterior has the old Fred Meyer name/logo on the building as well as peeling paint on the store address (faded red) and Garden Center signs. The exterior paint was at least in good shape overall.

It is unusual for Fred Meyer to go that long without a remodel. But it seems like they are placing slightly more effort in stores in the Portland area, some not going even 10 years between remodels, while others might go 15-20 years. But they do tend to be pretty thorough when they do remodel at least (although some aspects of the remodels like polished concrete aren't the best choice)

storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by storewanderer » December 2nd, 2018, 9:52 am

SamSpade wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 9:02 am
I truly hope Kroger has Idaho Falls on its 2019 update list. I was in the store with my mom this holiday weekend and while they do have some good things (no yellow shirt door employees making you feel like you're shoplifting) the store is really falling behind in both modern Kroger trends in their own company as well as contemporary retailing in general.

In the bedding department, there was one of those "short" display prop mattresses still out but no sheets or items on top of it. The department signs in home / hardware are all the original ones so sun fade is sinking in.

In grocery, the meat/seafood display and dairy and freezer cases are all original from when the store opened in 1997. Those are probably becoming quite inefficient and requiring maintenance. With Kroger pushing "green" a few years ago, seems strange. The aisles all still have florescent light bulbs above the aisles, something most locations lost at least a decade ago. Natural choices is a separate department. Wine and beer is small.

Home electronics is still a huge separate department at the front of the store including the dated "Music market" cursive logo. Thank goodness this store was "post neon" or it would really look like a turkey.

The exterior has the old Fred Meyer name/logo on the building as well as peeling paint on the store address (faded red) and Garden Center signs. The exterior paint was at least in good shape overall.

I was surprised they remodeled Pocatello. I kind of felt like Idaho Falls, Twin Falls, and Pocatello were in limbo after they converted the Utah Stores to Smiths Marketplace. Especially as time has gone on how similar the Kroger banners have become, often running the same ads, etc., it is a little strange to have two different divisions putting out resources to operate in the same medium sized towns.

Super S
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Super S » December 2nd, 2018, 2:35 pm

storewanderer wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 9:52 am

I was surprised they remodeled Pocatello. I kind of felt like Idaho Falls, Twin Falls, and Pocatello were in limbo after they converted the Utah Stores to Smiths Marketplace. Especially as time has gone on how similar the Kroger banners have become, often running the same ads, etc., it is a little strange to have two different divisions putting out resources to operate in the same medium sized towns.
True, but then again many towns of varying sizes in WA/OR have Fred Meyer and QFC in the same markets...

Brian Lutz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Brian Lutz » December 6th, 2018, 7:20 am

Yesterday I was able to stop in at the newly remodeled Monroe Fred Meyer store. Pretty standard remodel all things considered, but a couple of things stood out:

- This remodel kept the tile floors. The floor in this store had the obvious expected wear but otherwise still seemed to be in serviceable condition. The tile floor from the older decor package doesn't quite match up with the newer one, but it's still an improvement over polished concrete (and far better than the floor disaster in the Bellevue store.)

- As far as I can tell They all but completely eliminated the electronics department in this store. As of right now electronics consists of three aisles across from the toy section. One with TVs (and not particularly large ones), one with movies and video games, and one with various accessories. I've seen other remodels (Kirkland) either shrink electronics or move it to a different part of the store (Bellevue moved it to a back corner) and it's possible they could still be working on that, but it's really odd to see it reduced that much.

- They have Scan Bag Go in this store, which is (as far as I know) the first store in this area to have it.

Aside from that, not a ton to write about here.