Acquisition and Integration of Haggen into Albertsons

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
klkla

Re: Acquisition and Integration of Haggen into Albertsons

Post by klkla »

I think wood floors throughout the store would have suited the new decor style better. Like the polished cement, there are faux wood floors that look good and are low maintenance (especially if they are low gloss and look real).
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: October 3rd, 2017, 10:07 pm Great looking remodel and do you see anything in there that looks like Albertsons or Safeway? I don't.
- "The Wine Cellar" font looks similar to the "TX/FL Decor" signage, though a different color
- I know I've seen a Safeway or Albertsons with the faux wood in the produce

But yes, it is definitely unique, almost the Central Market to a regular ol' H-E-B. On that note, didn't they say that one of the reverse-converted Albertsons would still carry some Haggen items like the cinnamon rolls? What happened to that?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I've been in a few Albertsons that were former Haggen locations (one was in Grants Pass, OR and the others were all in Seattle suburbs). I did not see any Haggen bakery products in those stores.

In Grants Pass, I did see a decent lot of Albertsons bakery products.

In the Seattle suburbs, all I saw were Safeway bakery products... because the stores were Safeways with the sign out front reading "Albertsons."
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

I was in the Woodinville Haggen on Saturday. Business is booming there. I would say that most of the Western Family and Top Care items are gone. The vast majority is Signature Select/Care and Lucerne. The gallon of Haggen milk persists. I did notice that the bottling plant is the same as Lucerne as someone else noted. But I noticed that it is the same plant that Darigold uses. So I’m wondering if Albertsons is contracting with Darigold or the other way around? Full Circle Organics is gone and totally replaced by “O Organics”. The Western Family items I noticed were some shebert bars and tubs of frozen strawberries. There may have been some others. Therefore a few Top Care Medicines of some soft but not much. There had been some Haggen Shredded Cheese but no private label is all Lucerne. Frozen veggies is all Signature. Haggen’s unique ice cream flavors persist and I think they will stay but Signature makes up the rest of the private label flavors. Again, no monopoly. Also Haggen gift cards are for Haggen only and are not for Safeway/Albertsons. If Albertsons does follow through with buying Rite Aid, I’m wondering if Haggen’s pharmacies will have Rite Aid branding? Or if the Rite Aid brand products will make it inside of Haggen? A couple last curious things. Last summer I was in the Oak Harbor Haggen, the only Safeway conversion sto stay Haggen. There had been a Safeway fuel station there. When the store went Haggen the gas I think went to Union 76. Most Safeway conversions did that. Most that went back to Safeway had their gas eventually revert to Safeway. In Oak Harbor, the Albertsons became a Safeway without a fuel center. But when Albertsons bought Haggen, the 76 became Safeway gas again. It is funny as it is in the Haggen lot. Plus you can’t use the Haggen card to get discounts at that fuel station. I find that funny! They should allow for That! Oh well!
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Regarding the (lack of) integration between Haggen and Safeway loyalty cards: It might be a matter of time before their systems are integrated. When I was in Chicago last week I noticed that the phone number I use for my VONS/Safeway card worked at Jewel-Osco and let me earn gas points. The funny thing is that card started as a Dominick's check cashing card and was then a Dominick's Fresh Values card.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: May 1st, 2018, 9:11 pm Regarding the (lack of) integration between Haggen and Safeway loyalty cards: It might be a matter of time before their systems are integrated. When I was in Chicago last week I noticed that the phone number I use for my VONS/Safeway card worked at Jewel-Osco and let me earn gas points. The funny thing is that card started as a Dominick's check cashing card and was then a Dominick's Fresh Values card.
I am surprised they have not integrated Haggen yet. But there is no integration down at United-Texas either and that seems to be deliberate and something that won't change any time soon.

They are currently integrating Shaw's, Jewel, and Acme onto the Safeway system.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: May 1st, 2018, 11:29 pm
rwsandiego wrote: May 1st, 2018, 9:11 pm Regarding the (lack of) integration between Haggen and Safeway loyalty cards: It might be a matter of time before their systems are integrated. When I was in Chicago last week I noticed that the phone number I use for my VONS/Safeway card worked at Jewel-Osco and let me earn gas points. The funny thing is that card started as a Dominick's check cashing card and was then a Dominick's Fresh Values card.
I am surprised they have not integrated Haggen yet. But there is no integration down at United-Texas either and that seems to be deliberate and something that won't change any time soon.

They are currently integrating Shaw's, Jewel, and Acme onto the Safeway system.
Having worked on a ton of integrations over the years, it is sometimes the small ones (like Haggen) that present the most challenges. They tend to have more exceptions that large organizations. The absolute worst system integration ever was a small, one-office bank on Chicago's north shore. They handed us a 3.5 inch floppy disk (this was 1991) and told us it contained their customer and loan records. Our mainframe didn't have a 3.5 inch drive attached to it. Kinda went downhill from there.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

rwsandiego wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 6:16 pm
Having worked on a ton of integrations over the years, it is sometimes the small ones (like Haggen) that present the most challenges. They tend to have more exceptions that large organizations. The absolute worst system integration ever was a small, one-office bank on Chicago's north shore. They handed us a 3.5 inch floppy disk (this was 1991) and told us it contained their customer and loan records. Our mainframe didn't have a 3.5 inch drive attached to it. Kinda went downhill from there.
1991? Sounds like they were decades ahead of you with that 3.5" floppy :D
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

submariner wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 6:37 pm
We asked them to FTP a file. They looked at us like we were speaking a foreign language. Large banks used mainframes! Ours was brand-new.
submariner

Post by submariner »

rwsandiego wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 10:06 pm
submariner wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 6:37 pm
We asked them to FTP a file. They looked at us like we were speaking a foreign language. Large banks used mainframes! Ours was brand-new.
That was a different time... I cringe at sending financial data over clear-text FTP :shock: