Fred Meyer Remodels Continue

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Fred Meyer Remodels Continue

Post by storewanderer »

Kyleinlongview wrote: January 21st, 2018, 11:21 pm
Super S wrote: January 10th, 2018, 9:56 am
Supposedly Longview is being remodeled soon. Hopefully they don't cheapen that one too much....
Just talking today to one of the managers of Longview Fred Meyer. They were just told Kroger is putting on hold the remodel, and that it sounds like it is the case with most planned remodels for the first half of 2018 company wide.
Kroger did this same thing last year. There is a (badly aging, but very busy) store here that has been slated for remodel for a couple years now. It was supposed to be done last year then got delayed when Kroger cut remodels/new stores last year. Now that store was slated to start remodeling soon again this year... I wonder if it is delayed again...

What's another few years on a very beat up patched up 31 year old floor or old 31 year old brown shelves.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Tigard Fred Meyer is under "renovation" to add "more food." (I thought maybe they were subdividing the store, to be completely honest!) They really should resign it as a 'Marketplace' after the remodel is done, but I doubt they will.

The store is currently clearance selling all remaining apparel and shoes. The entrance near the apparel department and pharmacy has been closed for ClickList staff only.

The 8 spaces were actually quite busy when I was shopping on a Sunday early evening, causing both Click List employees to be busy loading vehicles.

However, I don't fully understand why this store needs a reset for more food selling but that's for Kroger to know and me to see the results of. There is a very busy nearby Costco (added fuel a while ago) and a recently opened modestly-sized Walmart supercenter.

The nearest Fred Meyer is Burlingame (Barbur Blvd), which as someone pointed out in another thread, is essentially a QFC Marketplace in terms of quality of food shopping alongside a limited non-food offering. Tigard will basically become a larger version of this after the remodel as its home department remains.

Google maps of Tigard FM < note, many of these are stock FM photos
This store was remodeled in the last 5 years to remove the drop ceilings, relocate the Starbucks and go to the 'food circus' decor, as I call it.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

SamSpade wrote: April 16th, 2018, 11:04 pm Tigard Fred Meyer is under "renovation" to add "more food." (I thought maybe they were subdividing the store, to be completely honest!) They really should resign it as a 'Marketplace' after the remodel is done, but I doubt they will.

The store is currently clearance selling all remaining apparel and shoes. The entrance near the apparel department and pharmacy has been closed for ClickList staff only.

The 8 spaces were actually quite busy when I was shopping on a Sunday early evening, causing both Click List employees to be busy loading vehicles.

However, I don't fully understand why this store needs a reset for more food selling but that's for Kroger to know and me to see the results of. There is a very busy nearby Costco (added fuel a while ago) and a recently opened modestly-sized Walmart supercenter.

The nearest Fred Meyer is Burlingame (Barbur Blvd), which as someone pointed out in another thread, is essentially a QFC Marketplace in terms of quality of food shopping alongside a limited non-food offering. Tigard will basically become a larger version of this after the remodel as its home department remains.

Google maps of Tigard FM < note, many of these are stock FM photos
This store was remodeled in the last 5 years to remove the drop ceilings, relocate the Starbucks and go to the 'food circus' decor, as I call it.
The Tigard Fred Meyer was last remodeled in 2010. The drop ceilings were removed during the 2001 remodel when the building was enlarged and the separate home and garden center was removed. With Fred Meyer expanding food in all of their stores, this one currently has one of the smaller food departments in the chain. Natural Choices is a fraction the size of their latest stores.

The apparel department is remaining after the remodel. It's only been removed to provide space to make the remodel happen. They did the same thing during their last remodel. Furniture, electronics are going away. Home is getting smaller. The layout got goofy when they closed off the entrance for Click List. This should fix that.
Super S

Post by Super S »

So...Is Fred Meyer even going by any kind of schedule as far as remodels go any more? The Tigard store was remodeled in 2001 and 2010, and is being remodeled again to add more food. While other stores, such as Longview had a major remodel in 1990 and again in 2003. 15 years later not much has changed save for a reset for liquor and a general merchandise reset that looks bad due to the mismatched floor tiles. Longview is certainly a busy store, and since the remodel we have seen all three Safeways in Longview-Kelso get Lifestyle remodels, a new WinCo store, plus one nearby Walmart conversion to a supercenter as well as a second Walmart in Longview in addition to one in Woodland.

The Longview Fred Meyer overall looks good (the interior, save for those tiles I mentioned, still looks good and in my opinion better than some more recent remodels) but 15 years is a long time between remodels and a few things are showing their age such as mercury vapor lights around the front perimeter of the building and the entryways which are getting dim and may have last been relamped in 2003, as well as seeing areas where there are ongoing roof leak issues and stains on the ceilings.
StoreLiker2006
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

The Tigard Fred Meyer originally opened March 1, 1967, only four months after the now-closed 82nd & Foster location had been given its second makeover. The first remodel for the Tigard store was in 1980, the second in 1988, the third in 2001 and most recently, as you said, in 2010.

~Ben
Super S

Post by Super S »

StoreLiker2006 wrote: April 17th, 2018, 11:25 am The Tigard Fred Meyer originally opened March 1, 1967, only four months after the now-closed 82nd & Foster location had been given its second makeover. The first remodel for the Tigard store was in 1980, the second in 1988, the third in 2001 and most recently, as you said, in 2010.

~Ben
The 1988 remodel you mentioned made me think of a TV commercial advertising the grand re-opening of four stores: Tigard, Raleigh Hills, Rockwood (which has since closed and has been demolished), and Clackamas. Fred Meyer often would air commercials for individual stores as they were remodeled, they even made one when Longview was remodeled around 1990. One design feature heavily used by Fred Meyer during remodels of this era were recessed 1' by 4' fluorescent light fixtures. The remodels continue but I don't believe they have commercials advertising the remodels any more as the commercials aren't as localized.
StoreLiker2006
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

I have seen that commercial quite a few times.

I know the Hollywood West Fred Meyer, at 3030 NE Weidler St., which finally opened in November 1989 after five years in the planning stage, had yet another new look that Fred Meyer would adopt for subsequent new builds and remodels. It had also been built to satisfy some residents of Portland's Hollywood neighborhood, where Fred Meyer's older store at 4161 NE Sandy Blvd. was languishing due to age (it, in turn, was the first Fred Meyer to have opened outside of the downtown Portland area, and which since 1949 has had rooftop parking) and size and which finally closed its doors in March 1991.

~Ben
Super S

Post by Super S »

StoreLiker2006 wrote: April 18th, 2018, 3:11 pm I have seen that commercial quite a few times.

I know the Hollywood West Fred Meyer, at 3030 NE Weidler St., which finally opened in November 1989 after five years in the planning stage, had yet another new look that Fred Meyer would adopt for subsequent new builds and remodels. It had also been built to satisfy some residents of Portland's Hollywood neighborhood, where Fred Meyer's older store at 4161 NE Sandy Blvd. was languishing due to age (it, in turn, was the first Fred Meyer to have opened outside of the downtown Portland area, and which since 1949 has had rooftop parking) and size and which finally closed its doors in March 1991.

~Ben
It was the first to have the open ceiling "warehouse" appearance. Not sure if this is true, but I have been told that part of the building actually was an old warehouse which inspired the concept.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

The building was a new build replacing an old Hyster forklift factory. They went with the open warehouse concept to reduce insane remodeling costs they were encountering by moving walls and ceilings every 10 years in their older stores. That Hollywood West store is their #1 store in sales. Great location with strong demographics and few competitors nearby.
Super S

Post by Super S »

So it looks like the Longview Fred Meyer remodel is starting. I noticed tonight that some of the general merchandise shelving has been removed, some of the furniture area is now cleared out, and a contractor's trailer has been set up at the garden center parking area. I also noticed several storage containers that have been placed out front. And inside the store, written on some of the flooring in permanent marker, was "green zone" whatever that means. I didn't get a chance to ask about it as I was pressed for time earlier and just used self checkout. We'll see soon which direction they go.