Baker City, OR to get a second Safeway

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Baker City, OR to get a second Safeway

Post by wnetmacman »

architect wrote:here are actually multiple former Winn-Dixie's which were sold to Kroger in DFW which retain the split design you mentioned
That's because WD didn't bring them back together until after the Texas exodus. It was known as the Food Pavilion. Kroger (and others) got the original versions of these stores. The stores in Mesquite, Arlington and Hurst wouldn't have had this design; they were newer stores.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

wnetmacman wrote:
architect wrote:here are actually multiple former Winn-Dixie's which were sold to Kroger in DFW which retain the split design you mentioned
That's because WD didn't bring them back together until after the Texas exodus. It was known as the Food Pavilion. Kroger (and others) got the original versions of these stores. The stores in Mesquite, Arlington and Hurst wouldn't have had this design; they were newer stores.
That would make timeline-wise...I'm not sure how many new stores Winn-Dixie built in the 1990s in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, but they pulled out of Texas entirely in 2002.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

To try to pull this back on topic, I'm going to move the WD discussion elsewhere.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Those island delis were common throughout Safeway. I remember some in old gables in NorCal Division that were closed/rebuilt in the 90's, very common actually.

I wonder if any still exist or the lifestyle remodels finally ended that idea. Oh I bet I know where some exist: Oklahoma.
Attachments
2011 Photo- Newport, OR - store has since received a lifestyle remodel and deli was moved to a wall space
2011 Photo- Newport, OR - store has since received a lifestyle remodel and deli was moved to a wall space
2011 Photo- Oklahoma City, OK- 2016 NW 39th St
2011 Photo- Oklahoma City, OK- 2016 NW 39th St
2011 Photo- Seminole, OK- probably was one of the last Safeways built in OK
2011 Photo- Seminole, OK- probably was one of the last Safeways built in OK
2011 Photo- Bartlesville, OK- 811 SE Frank Phillips
2011 Photo- Bartlesville, OK- 811 SE Frank Phillips
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

The "floating deli" I'm thinking of when I think former Safeway stores were a much more involved perishable "island" with walls and adjacent bakeries that made flow and line of sight across the store more challenging. It wasn't a huge store, either, making the store feel claustrophobic and small (here's a picture which gives you a hint of weird the store layout was).
lake
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by lake »

storewanderer wrote:Those island delis were common throughout Safeway. I remember some in old gables in NorCal Division that were closed/rebuilt in the 90's, very common actually.

I wonder if any still exist or the lifestyle remodels finally ended that idea. Oh I bet I know where some exist: Oklahoma.
There is actually at least one Lifestyle Era store that I know of with an island deli. It is a pretty large store, about 60,000 sq ft I believe and has a weird layout where the deli and bakery sit opposite from each other and form a corridor with the deli, sushi bar, Starbucks, bakery, and alcohol department. This is a pretty upscale store so they were probably trying for a more Wegman's feel here but it obviously wasn't something they executed elsewhere. This is the only photo I can find of this store showing this area
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/safeway- ... 40z5t0hhew
The photo was taken from the liquor department and the bakery is on the left. The hot foods are on the right, followed by the deli and then finally the sushi bar completing the "island". The Starbucks is directly ahead behind the bakery. On the other side of the "island" is the frozen foods department.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Yes, the store you describe is actually a Genuardi's floorplan. But in that case the deli was built into the store that way and there is a floor to ceiling wall between deli and the rest of the store. And importantly, a wall between the back prep area of the deli and the customer area.

These "kiosk" delis are literally disassembly of an aisle and install a kiosk deli. All of the equipment and prep area is visible and generally looked less than neat.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

The store is open now. Already one disappointed Yelp review as someone tried to order a sandwich at the deli and were basically told to pack it across the street. :roll:

I was in there today and posted what I could to Yelp (it's the "Grand Opening"). Safeway was busier on a Sunday morning. This store is Safeway inside except for the name outside. It's "Colorful Lifestyle." I couldn't take photos in the favored departments of this group due to the store being largely empty. Albertsons-Safeway did improve a little over the Haggen, but it's still largely the same store it was before, but it has Safeway aisle markers and tags.

Albertsons - Baker City
Albertsons Pharmacy - Baker City New drive up pharmacy window

Local news coverage:
Albertsons is back in Baker
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The store looks really good to me. The Yelp review says no fresh bakery? Really?

The drive through pharmacy was there before.

What came of the previous Albertsons gas station? Is Tesoro still running it? Mobil or USA brand?

I suspect ultimately this store is rebranded Safeway and the one across the road is "moved" into this one.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I wouldn't trust a single one-star review, just as I wouldn't trust a single five-star review.

Usually it's a rant that's more bitter than factual. I can't imagine that it doesn't have a fresh bakery, for instance.