Fred Meyer and "Fresh Fare" layout

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Fred Meyer and "Fresh Fare" layout

Post by SamSpade »

I think because it was such a big deal at the time, I always assumed this was only the 3 'Northwest Best' stores (Stadium, Gig Harbor Marketplaces, Redmond). While they certainly fit with the Fresh Fare Kroger decor of the early 21st century, I was in a Fred Meyer in Salem this weekend and realized it also fit into the layout - the flooring and to a degree the signs and such all fit the "Fresh Fare" style without being labeled as anything special. I think most Fred Meyer stores either had the layout before (late 1990's, white ceiling tile with black connectors; black and white grocery departments; FM Elements "teen" apparel store within a store, Home Electronics and "Music Market," 90s neon, diamond shaped department signs, etc) or the model right after the Fresh Fare, which could be labeled the Fred Meyer "theme park" with each department looking a bit like a shop in the store and G.M. being marked by pillars hanging from the warehouse-style ceiling. Some stores had large props over toys, for example.

Salem is definitely a place that Fred Meyer could have tested 'The Spokane Project' except for the fact it is shared with the Portland, Ore. advertising market. It would have really caused a lot of confusion for the changes if it only applied in Salem but not in other regional Fred Meyer locations.

"Fresh Fare" South Salem Fred Meyer
North Salem / Keizer Fred Meyer (theme park)
Market & Lancaster Dr Salem Fred Meyer (OLD decor)
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Fred Meyer and "Fresh Fare" layout

Post by Brian Lutz »

The Bellevue/Overlake Fred Meyer store had basically this same decor package prior to the major remodel currently underway (the store is scheduled to reopen a week before Black Friday but from what I've seen they have a lot of work to do still.) Overall, Fred Meyer seems to have done a modified version of the Fresh Fare decor, but never went fully into it because they needed differentiation between Fred Meyer and QFC stores (which overtly used the Fresh Fare branding but never really emphasized it.) It does have some elements of the Fresh Fare decor though (most notably the floors.)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

South Medford has (had?) a similar version of this decor. Tualatin had that exact decor too but it was really beat up looking before the remodel. This store in Salem looks good.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

The Market & Lancaster Dr. Fred Meyer is being remodeled to the current Kroger "Marketplace" theme. I would assume this also means the inexpensive, deli-operated KIVU Coffee espresso shop is out and Starbucks is in.

The drop ceiling is being removed for the "warehouse" look, similar to how that took place in the Portland Stadium location. You wonder why the company didn't do that in Arizona at some of the Fry's remodels (A/C costs?).
Super S

Post by Super S »

SamSpade wrote:The Market & Lancaster Dr. Fred Meyer is being remodeled to the current Kroger "Marketplace" theme. I would assume this also means the inexpensive, deli-operated KIVU Coffee espresso shop is out and Starbucks is in.

The drop ceiling is being removed for the "warehouse" look, similar to how that took place in the Portland Stadium location. You wonder why the company didn't do that in Arizona at some of the Fry's remodels (A/C costs?).
Fred Meyer has been removing the drop ceilings on most of their remodels. One notable exception is the Mill Plain store in Vancouver, which removed the old drop ceiling and installed a completely new drop ceiling. They used a recessed 6-lamp fluorescent fixture which looks similar to those used in the "warehouse" type stores. Personally, I think this fixture looks "cheap" in the drop ceiling and would look much better with some type of cover or diffuser.

I thought the whole purpose of the drop ceiling was to control A/C and heating costs. While at the same time providing easy access for maintenance needs. But the buildings do cost less to construct without them.