New Boise Albertsons planned

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

New Boise Albertsons planned

Post by storewanderer »

Just 35,000 square feet? http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/loca ... 86428.html

Between this and the small Raleys being built in NorCal, the conventionals are sure downsizing...
pseudo3d

Re: New Boise Albertsons planned

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote:Just 35,000 square feet? http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/loca ... 86428.html

Between this and the small Raleys being built in NorCal, the conventionals are sure downsizing...
The rebuild of the other store is supposed to be (from what I've heard) closer to 70k. But if you look at the site of this one, it doesn't have a lot of land to work with and only about 80k square feet total (based on the stand-alone nature of the building, it looks to be the "floating buildings in parking lot" variety, not the "supermarket with a strip mall sprouting out from one end or the other"). If Albertsons was the developer I'd be a little suspicious, but it looks like it's developed by a third party (does Albertsons even develop its own centers anymore?)
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

This is a neighborhood store for a fairly new (very high end as I understand it) planned residential community, Harris Ranch. Once you look on Google Maps, you see how no one else from Boise or otherwise would be driving to this store. It's entirely possible that some of the neighborhood zoning may have placed a restriction on 'big box' sized properties and capped them at 36k or smaller. I know in Jackson, Wy. for example, stores are capped at 50,000 sf.

So, if this Albertsons is engineered well and doesn't need a lot of stock room (likely, being in Boise and all), you can probably build a solid store at that size. It sounds like one way the store is going to attempt to maintain community approval is by using nearby land to host a seasonal farmers' market as well. If the store did not include a pharmacy, that could also free up some space. Since Albertsons didn't comment to The Statesman yet, that remains another variable. The Albertsons (former Paul's) in Kuna is about the same size at 34,436 sf.

The other new store replacing the Broadway Market will be 64,500 sf. and that doesn't include the proposed upper floor square footage.
Super S

Post by Super S »

This might actually work. That area of Boise really has nothing else for grocery stores. The only thing that comes to mind is the lone M&W remaining on Warm Springs Avenue, which is really more of a convenience store than anything.

You don't need a huge store when it is going to mainly serve as a place to get staples in the neighborhood.

I wonder if this was partially influenced by the fact that Albertsons returned to the Lake Hazel store recently and saw that the smaller size store would be better suited for some neighborhoods.