QFC Closing Port Orchard, WA

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: QFC Closing Port Orchard, WA

Post by Brian Lutz »

In my opinion the Fresh Fare design package that QFC stores used for many years still holds up pretty well even though the design is getting older now. As long as the stores are being maintained properly they can still look pretty good.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The QFC Fresh Fare decor package looks great and has held up well. It presents very nicely, looks coordinated, clean, and professional.

I was in one QFC that was just remodeled into the "local" look and it looks terrible. The colors do not match between the departments. The tile floor was removed, but there are lines everywhere where the tiles were. The store feels dark, industrial, and low end. I remember this particular store from the past and it was a really nice store. Sad to see this downgrade.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote:The QFC Fresh Fare decor package looks great and has held up well. It presents very nicely, looks coordinated, clean, and professional.

I was in one QFC that was just remodeled into the "local" look and it looks terrible. The colors do not match between the departments. The tile floor was removed, but there are lines everywhere where the tiles were. The store feels dark, industrial, and low end. I remember this particular store from the past and it was a really nice store. Sad to see this downgrade.
I haven't seen the "local" package in any Texas stores yet. There's another set that they use for Fred Meyer/Marketplace stores, and that looks better. Maybe Kroger actually realizes that the "Local" package is pretty terrible...
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote:
storewanderer wrote:The QFC Fresh Fare decor package looks great and has held up well. It presents very nicely, looks coordinated, clean, and professional.

I haven't seen the "local" package in any Texas stores yet. There's another set that they use for Fred Meyer/Marketplace stores, and that looks better. Maybe Kroger actually realizes that the "Local" package is pretty terrible...
Actually, I just stumbled into another store in Dallas a week or so ago which had received this decor package. The Cityplace Kroger at 4241 Capitol Ave in Dallas recently received this remodel, and it looks halfway decent (definitely better than the Lake Highlands store, which felt awkward due to low ceilings around the perimeter). This store had received a Murray's cheese display, along with Clicklist (which is surprising considering the store's size and location in a dense area).

Also, at least one Houston store recently received this package at 12555 Briar Forest Dr, Houston, TX. This store is an outdated mid-90's former Albertsons (think lower drop ceilings and exposed fluorescent strip lighting) which is located just to the east of another Kroger just over a mile away. I am honestly surprised that Kroger has kept this store open, considering that the other location is much nicer and is simply a better reflection of their brand. There is also a former Greenhouse just to the north, making for three Kroger stores within a fairly tight area.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

This seems to look a little better on the store with the large exposed ceiling. The QFC I went to is a decades old store and has a drop ceiling and fairly small "fixture spaces." It looked horrific. The entire store looked terrible.

I think Kroger needs to remember when they come up with these decor packages, not every store is the "perfect store" with the exposed ceiling, skylights, and the large space for the fixtures.

The QFC Fresh Fare was specifically designed for QFC Stores (that interior was not used anywhere else; some Ralphs looked sort of like it, but it was actually a different interior). The QFC Stores are rather different than any others within Kroger. They are smaller, older, and much tighter than typical. Very few QFCs received Kroger's "other" recent interior because it looked so terrible in QFC Stores; no room for things like the hanging wood planks above produce (or the wood fixtures anywhere on the walls for that matter) so it seems most QFCs were generally skipped over on that decor package entirely. They ought to just skip over this terrible looking "Local" decor too.