Associated's Honey Bee Produce Co soft opens today

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Associated's Honey Bee Produce Co soft opens today

Post by SamSpade »

Longtime Utah wholesaler and retail operator, Associated Food Stores soft opened a concept store in Draper, today 9/8.
Facebook: Honey Bee Produce Company
Offering online shopping with same-day pick up with Rosie as the software vendor.
Seems to have severely reduced hours compared to most grocers: (maybe just Pharmacy hours at this time)
Google Map and Photos
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Associated's Honey Bee Produce Co soft opens today

Post by SamSpade »

They are also opening an Ace Hardware store in the center, similar to some of Associated's member-owners.
flyinpenguin
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Honeybee makes Whole Foods look like a bargain

Post by flyinpenguin »

Sorry, but I couldn't think of how else to title this. Associated is opening an Ace Hardware in 20,000 sq. ft. of this old Albertsons / Fresh Market location. Which leaves the Honeybee at 35,000-40,000. By all accounts they are trying to position this as a "Natural Grocer" concept. On my visit 9/9 I did not see plastic bags available at checkout. My guess would be 60% is natural foods, but the 6 regular items that I buy due to my food allergies are all about $1 more expensive, each. They have a soft serve that has a vegan coconut soft serve, awesome!! The rest of the bakery is basically standard grocery fare. A small salad bar/ hot food bar. Certainly not Whole Foods worthy. I like to know ingredients.

I have posted some pictures at the link below. The produce display before you even enter the store is an interesting idea. The bottle your own oils and vinegar's is also a neat idea. I did not even see the Ben and Jerry's vegan line.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154215572 ... 5786293211
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

How was the produce?
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Bakery Case:
My friend's feedback to them was that produce seemed small for a store that is focused on it in its name. It was comparably sized to the previous Albertsons according to him. He didn't notice floral either, which is in most of the "fancy" markets here front and center.
flyinpenguin
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Honeybee produce

Post by flyinpenguin »

The produce department was ok. My wife was excited they had butter lettuce @99 cents each. The bakery section is decent, they did bring in some vegan cakes from a local bakery. But as someone who is allergic to dairy, there is nothing I can eat in their individual donut case, or store made display case. The stand alone donut and bagel case has a flaw, on one side is donuts, maple bars, and cookies but smells salty because on the opposite side is bagels, and pretzels.

The salad bar, and hot food bar is one large unit, nothing was labeled, and had an odd selection of items. Chicken wings, ribs, mac and cheese, caesar salad, tortillas, beans, and a few other odd things, no theme to it at all. They did have self serve, soft serve machines with a sundae bar. One of the soft serve flavors included a vegan choice so that was a plus. Also they only use paper sacks, no plastic. Seemed busy even for a Sunday at noon. Official grand opening is Wednesday.