Lucky/SuperSaver Utah

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
flyinpenguin
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Lucky/SuperSaver Utah

Post by flyinpenguin »

Went in to West Valley Super Saver and the deli cases appear to have been installed along the back of the store. Currently only a few deli salads and pre-sliced meats and cheeses, similar to Winco. Room for much more. They must be bringing in clearance from the warehouse. There was a clearance frozen case with items that I had not seen in store before. Almond Dream Bites and Larry and Luna's Coconut milk ice cream were $2/each. Claussen pickles were on sale for $2.50. I added 2 photos to flickr. They are from a wooden aisle display unit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154215572 ... 4580413092
storewanderer

Re: Lucky/SuperSaver Utah

Post by storewanderer »

I am all for the use of the Lucky name, but in Utah? A market where it was never used? And on bag it yourself low end stores in not so great neighborhoods?

It would be more fitting to use the Lucky name in markets where it actually did well such as Las Vegas and SoCal, and return to the format of a promotional EDLP grocery retailer that operated full service stores with moderate quality goods and service levels. That is what Lucky was. This, the version Supervalu tried and largely failed with (which this looks suspiciously similar to), and the overpriced poorly executed stores being run under the name "Lucky" in NorCal by Save Mart are not what Lucky was, or even remotely close.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Based on an ad buy I saw, I don't think they are going to be called Lucky but we'll see.
Our orders start in November so that is likely when whatever is happening will be fully revealed.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Given that they got fixtures with an updated Lucky logo... hard to say but that looks pretty convincing.

Also that Lucky logo in a circle is a real throwback. Lucky logos were rarely used in a circle, but at some point, they were in certain cases, likely dating back to the 70's.

I also wonder if they may exercise their right to use the name "Lucky" in more states to block the "Lucky's Market" format from using that name in said state(s). I have no idea what kind of deal they worked out with "Lucky's Market" on use of the name "Lucky" but I am guessing there are some territory rights to the name.
flyinpenguin
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by flyinpenguin »

My thought was that Albertsons now owns the name, and therefore licenses it to the SaveMart operator. It's possible that they have to license it to them for free though.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: October 4th, 2017, 10:34 pm I am all for the use of the Lucky name, but in Utah? A market where it was never used? And on bag it yourself low end stores in not so great neighborhoods? ...
Don't forget that Lucky is used in conjunction with a similar format in El Centro, CA. It is pretty dismal.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Yes, El Centro is not good. That store in San Ysidro was also really not like a real "Lucky." Those were the Supervalu applications of "Lucky."

What is happening in Utah seems to be a continuation of the Supervalu application of "Lucky."

This combined company seems to be awfully good at taking bad ideas and spreading them. They need to start taking good ideas and spreading them. If they can't find any good ideas internally then they need to start looking externally.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

The copy has arrived - the answer is "Lucky! Means low prices."
There will now be 4 Lucky stores in operation effective Sunday October 29.

The two in California just look like low-quality re-bannered Albertsons with their own ad. These sound quite a bit different. . .

Lucky - Wake Ave. - 227
351 Wake Ave.
El Centro, CA 92244

Lucky - Tweedy Blvd- 142
4155 Tweedy Blvd
South Gate, CA 90280
flyinpenguin
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by flyinpenguin »

The Utah Supersaver's are closed from October 29th-31 in order to complete finally remodel to Lucky. Will grand re-open on November 1.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Looks like Tooele is not currently involved in this...

I wonder about those Albertsons in Pueblo, CO...