New Seasons workforce talks of unionizing

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

New Seasons workforce talks of unionizing

Post by SamSpade »

New Seasons workers move to unionize
The rub is apparently over recent changes to which employees would be eligible for health insurance.

Another thing I found interesting in the article
New Seasons' growth was buoyed by a 2009 investment by Portland-based Endeavour Capital, which now has a roughly 60-percent stake in the company. It also owns stakes in WinCo Foods and Seattle-based Metropolitan Market.
I think the MetMarket connection has been mentioned here before, but I was not aware of Endeavour investing in WinCo.
storewanderer

Re: New Seasons workforce talks of unionizing

Post by storewanderer »

I too never heard of them having a stake in WinCo.

It must not be too big of a stake since WinCo still advertises as "employee owned."
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: October 31st, 2017, 9:11 pm I too never heard of them having a stake in WinCo.

It must not be too big of a stake since WinCo still advertises as "employee owned."
I have been finding, more and more, that newspaper articles are rushed to print without getting facts straight first. With that said, I wonder if this is part of what has fueled WinCo's expansion into other states.

But still, they have actually installed lighted signs that say "An Employee Owned Company" on most of their stores over the last few years.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Updating this story, starting in February, New Seasons has committed to a $15 minimum wage across its stores, including its subsidiary in California.
https://nwlaborpress.org/2018/12/new-se ... 5-an-hour/
(and it sounds as though the drive to unionize has died out)