Lucky Grand Opening

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Lucky Grand Opening

Post by storewanderer »

The name change in Utah would, I assume, make it so Albertsons is using and will retain the rights to the Lucky name in Utah.

It would prevent "Lucky's Market" from entering Utah, under the name of "Lucky's Market." And since they have an extensive private label as well, with the L Logo/distributed by Lucky's Market, it sort of checkmates them.

I suspect the Lucky's Market in Jackson Hole took a chunk of business from the Albertsons there and this is the response to keep "Lucky's Market" away from Utah. Interesting thing is why would they even care if Lucky's Market went into Utah since they have so few stores left there...
flyinpenguin
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by flyinpenguin »

Thanks for the clarification on all the Lucky's. In looking at the Jackson Hole ad for Lucky's Market, it looks like a great concept. Curious as to why they picked Jackson, unless the owners needed an excuse to visit and vacation there regularly. Definitely heavy on the wine which in Utah is a no-go. I feel that the Utah market is over saturated so I am doubtful anyone else would enter.

In the Sunday paper this morning there is a full page ad advertising the Lucky specials. In another section there is a full page ad for now hiring for the Lucky stores. Starting at $11/hour which seems competitive. I'd heard they had nailed down a 3rd location, probably looking for more.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Looking at more photos people have posted, the Lucky actually looks like a carbon copy of the Kroger Food 4 Less/FoodsCo format. The bakery looks the same (same items/case types), the hanging signs showing prices look identical, and the general merchandising of the place looks like the Kroger Food 4 Less/Foods Co format. Interesting choice to copy. Not something I'd copy.

I also notice you can no longer access the ad for these stores via the store locator at Safeway.com as you could in the past when they were Super Saver, after they got shifted over to the Safeway IT systems last year. The ad is on a different server now and only accessible through the Luckylowprices.com website. Why not re-use Luckystores.com?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I've heard Albertsons cannot re-enter the markets they sold to Associated Food Stores with Albertsons-bannered stores for a period of at least 10 years from the time the stores were sold. Using another name is their way of getting around that agreement.

Not sure how "Super Saver by Albertsons" fit with that agreement...

Strange situation in general since Supervalu was the party to the 10 year non-compete agreement and Albertsons LLC was free to operate those 2 Super Savers down there... but I guess the merged entity had to comply with Supervalu's terms.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: December 14th, 2017, 8:27 pm I've heard Albertsons cannot re-enter the markets they sold to Associated Food Stores with Albertsons-bannered stores for a period of at least 10 years from the time the stores were sold. Using another name is their way of getting around that agreement.

Not sure how "Super Saver by Albertsons" fit with that agreement...

Strange situation in general since Supervalu was the party to the 10 year non-compete agreement and Albertsons LLC was free to operate those 2 Super Savers down there... but I guess the merged entity had to comply with Supervalu's terms.
Either way, that expiration comes up in a year and a half (summer 2009 to summer 2019) so it's really only a matter of time if Albertsons wants full stores in Utah again.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Tooele Albertsons is currently being remodeled and converted to the Lucky banner.

Interesting decision. I don't think we will be seeing the Albertsons banner return to the SLC Market.
ckellogg5
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by ckellogg5 »

Albertsons is also opening a new Lucky location in West Jordan at 70th and Redwood. It’s located in a former Albertsons that closed in 2009 and has been vacant ever since. It’s under construction right now and is supposed to open sometime this spring.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I almost wonder if they need more stores to keep that Salt Lake distribution center viable. Yet they supply the St. George and Washington, UT Stores from Arizona despite SLC being a lot closer which makes little sense (but being in Southwest Division is getting those stores better pricing/stronger ads).

I think re-introducing the Albertsons banner in Salt Lake City would be a more effective move. The AFS Stores do not seem to be what they used to be and Smiths seems to be weakening on price.

Also odd to me they are only using this Lucky name in Salt Lake City (and those last two SoCal Stores in El Centro and South Gate- but there is not really any special program there, just a standard Vons-looking SoCal type ad with Lucky logos on it).
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: January 14th, 2019, 10:18 pm I almost wonder if they need more stores to keep that Salt Lake distribution center viable.
Is Salt Lake City a full service distribution facility? For some reason I thought it was HABA only. Maybe that was a long time ago.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: January 15th, 2019, 3:08 pm
storewanderer wrote: January 14th, 2019, 10:18 pm I almost wonder if they need more stores to keep that Salt Lake distribution center viable.
Is Salt Lake City a full service distribution facility? For some reason I thought it was HABA only. Maybe that was a long time ago.
I thought they had a Sundries Center in Utah long ago (pre ASC) but it appears that facility is actually in Idaho.

North Salt Lake is a full service distro.

Truckers seem to hate the Sundries Center and the Albertsons Ponca City GM Distribution Center... reviews on Google of 10+ hour unloading times... ouch.