Two New Safeway Decor Packages

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Two New Safeway Decor Packages

Post by storewanderer »

wnetmacman wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 8:30 pm
rwsandiego wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 6:59 pm Ask and ye shall receive, my friend.

La Junta, CO - nothing for at least 25 years

Burlington, CO - ditto.

Museum pieces, indeed.
LaJunta is an 80's package. Several Texas stores were sporting it at the 1987 pullout. It does appear that this one has been painted, though. In Texas, they were red in the 80's.
I've got lots of photos of La Junta. It actually got the Steve Burd pharmacy upgrade so the area around the pharmacy is in Lifestyle colors but it has some other fixture over the pharmacy.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Safeway Rapid City

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: February 20th, 2018, 9:49 pm I wouldn't even call those remodels. More of a repair and maintenance project to give the stores a fresh coat of paint (literally).
Scottsbluff also has a late 90's build Albertsons which was sold by LLC to Nash Finish and they didn't operate it long before closing it. Curiously, Nash Finish continued to run the old Albertsons Express Gas Station for many years after closing the main store (they may still be running it).

These stores don't even look like a legitimate chain with these odd cheap non-uniform interiors. They look more like independents running on a shoestring budget limping along. I'm not sure why they bothered to change the decor at all. They may as well have just repainted a fresh coat of paint on the old interiors and left it at that...
Both Safeways in Rapid City received a Modern Lifestyle remodel. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Safew ... 03.2507727
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Safew ... 03.2311633

Albertsons LLC sold its Rapid City store to Nash Finch, only for them to close it nine years later. https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local ... 108fa.html
This store was built in 1983 and was remodeled with the Broadway interior around 2003 (Industrial Circus). I'm surprised didn't sell this one (and Scottsbluff) to SVU, who bought LLC stores in Wyoming.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I see that Rapid City Safeway had the original Lifestyle decor and Albertsons did a repaint to it, and now they did a full remodel there. That must be a good performer. In general I have heard Safeway does well in Rapid City. There is a new build (pre merger) Safeway there in Rapid City as well. I am surprised Hy Vee is not in Rapid City.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: September 28th, 2021, 6:42 pm I see that Rapid City Safeway had the original Lifestyle decor and Albertsons did a repaint to it, and now they did a full remodel there. That must be a good performer. In general I have heard Safeway does well in Rapid City. There is a new build (pre merger) Safeway there in Rapid City as well. I am surprised Hy Vee is not in Rapid City.
Both Rapid City stores were built over 25 years ago. There is no new build, however there is a land site they may still own in Rapid City that they've planned to build on.
Hy-Vee is going further west - they took over a former Pamida building for a Dollar Fresh store in Lexington NE - halfway between Omaha and Denver. They could enter Rapid City and Cheyenne before they get to Denver.
Safeway probably does well because the competition in Rapid City is weak (Family Fare owned by Nash Finch) and they probably gained customers when Albertsons left town.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The former Flagship Safeway in Dublin, California is just now being remodeled into the Modern Decor. The remodeling is unpredictable as busy stores are still unremodeled. The construction workers are taking their time. It is a slow process. The Flagship had not been remodeled in 16 years.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Alpha8472 wrote: September 28th, 2021, 8:04 pm The former Flagship Safeway in Dublin, California is just now being remodeled into the Modern Decor. The remodeling is unpredictable as busy stores are still unremodeled. The construction workers are taking their time. It is a slow process. The Flagship had not been remodeled in 16 years.
Which store is the former flagship? Based Google Maps pics, the one at 4440 Tassajara Rd is already remodeled and the one at 7499 Dublin Blvd is undergoing a remodel from Lifestyle 2.0 to the modern decor. I'm interested in seeing what the Flagship décor looked like, but the Google Maps pics don't show it.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Flagship on Dublin Boulevard had the Lifestyle Decor that had the arched lighted signs on the walls. The Pharmacy had a counter in front. It looked very much like any other Safeway but with a Jamba Juice inside. It had very dark and dim mood lighting with a wood fired oven burning 24 hours a day in Bakery when Safeway Corporate ordered the fire to burn all the time. There is a Safeway Gas station in front as well.

The health and beauty section was huge with low shelves brightly lit with lights in the shelves. It made the products look very nice.

rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Thank you! Lifestyle 2.0 (arches and lights) was not my favorite, but the fireplace and Jamba Juice certainly sound nice.

I didn't realize Lifestyle 2.0 debuted so long ago. My memory is VONS were still being remodeled into Lifestyle 1.0 back in 2006. Of course, this was Safeway's flagship and was located near HQ, so it stands to reason that it would have been the first store to receive the new version of the Lifestyle décor.

Thanks again for the info!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I am wondering how they decide what stores to remodel. In my area there were no Lifestyle 1.0 Stores; everything, even Tahoe, was Lifestyle 2.0.

But the order in which stores are being remodeled into the Modern Decor does not align with the order in which stores were remodeled into Lifestyle 2.0.

I'm disappointed NorCal is not using the Colorful Lifestyle interior like seemingly every surrounding Division is. This Modern interior, there is nothing wrong with it, it is clean and I expect will age well, but it is quite plain and boring.

The removal of the dimly lit Lifestyle Stores can't come soon enough in my opinion though. In some ways though, it does feel like they are reverting the stores back to how they were pre-Lifestyle (bright lights, basic fixtures, no "mood").
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

rwsandiego wrote: September 28th, 2021, 8:47 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: September 28th, 2021, 8:04 pm The former Flagship Safeway in Dublin, California is just now being remodeled into the Modern Decor. The remodeling is unpredictable as busy stores are still unremodeled. The construction workers are taking their time. It is a slow process. The Flagship had not been remodeled in 16 years.
Which store is the former flagship? Based Google Maps pics, the one at 4440 Tassajara Rd is already remodeled and the one at 7499 Dublin Blvd is undergoing a remodel from Lifestyle 2.0 to the modern decor. I'm interested in seeing what the Flagship décor looked like, but the Google Maps pics don't show it.
Love the interiors!

I prefer the outside look of the second store.