John Jackson to become chairman of ExtraMile and rebrand some Jacksons stores

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Super S

John Jackson to become chairman of ExtraMile and rebrand some Jacksons stores

Post by Super S »

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/busi ... 53309.html

I find this move interesting as not all Jacksons stores sell Chevron/Texaco gas (many are Shell), as well as the fact so many stores close to Jacksons headquarters are going to be converting to ExtraMile.

I suppose there is potential for some locations such as Portland, where ExtraMile already exists, to eventually convert from the Jacksons name and switch gas brands.
storewanderer

Re: John Jackson to become chairman of ExtraMile and rebrand some Jacksons stores

Post by storewanderer »

I think Shell controls the real estate on those OR/WA Jacksons. Jacksons is just the operator... this may have changed.

Extra Mile has gone significantly downhill in California since they started the franchise program a number of years ago. When the Extra Miles were all corporate owned and most built as Extra Mile, they were the nicest convenience stores in California by far. Now, not so much... mixed bag of stores. They never should have converted franchise operations with split cash price/credit price on gas, minimum purchases/fees for card use for small amounts, subjective participation in promotions, no customer restroom, and other odd inconsistencies over to the Extra Mile flag. I think they got hard up for growth and decided to let just about anyone convert to Extra Mile. The corporate Extra Miles continue to be very good, but even they have converted some questionable locations that are just too small (those things with a little store in the middle of the pumps, and the bathrooms in a separate building across the parking lot). They have also allowed some locations to convert that are, frankly, just too low volume to be a decent convenience store. When you look at the good convenience store operators with extensive food programs, expanded brewed beverages (hot and cold coffee, etc.), and better promotions, the one trend you see is they run high volume stores. Chevron's corporate Extra Miles had the potential to be that way as most were new, large, had 12 fueling positions minimum, many parking spaces out front, etc. Some of the current franchise Extra Miles (older sites) barely have room to park 3 cars at the same time who aren't buying fuel. The stores as so small they can barely even fit a small soda machine and a few flavors of coffee let alone anything extensive. The checkout area is so small if there are more than a couple people paying the line is down the aisle (I say aisle because there is only one aisle). No way to run very high volume in that kind of site, it is just too small.

I expect Jackson will run the Extra Miles they convert very well, much like they run their own stores, very well. This should mean good things for Extra Mile going forward.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: John Jackson to become chairman of ExtraMile and rebrand some Jacksons stores

Post by SamSpade »

Continuing on this growth, Jacksons and Chevron are paying to take on the college arena in Boise, "ExtraMile Arena" which had previously been branded 'Taco Bell' for a number of years.
https://www.idahopress.com/eyeonboise/t ... 66912.html
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

What I think is the first of these Jacksons-owned/operated Extra Miles has opened in Carson City, NV.

Not sure if it is open yet but there are photos online. 1102 N. Carson St.

This was a tear down and rebuild of a really rough/ratty old Chevron. Jacksons took this site over when Terrible Herbst pretty much left the region and leased it out to a dealer for a while. It wasn't bad as a Terrible Herbst. The dealer was horrible, actually tried to debrand from Chevron and switch to Mobil which never happened (there was an interim period where it had no brand and was "cash only") and went out of business shortly thereafter.

I see the inside is fully stocked. Looks like Jacksons brand products continue to be sold here including bottled tea, motor oil. There is a Jacksons whip cream machine at the coffee area and the equipment looks a lot more like a Jacksons than the CA Extra Miles look.

Ok, so this is basically just a Jacksons Store with the Extra Mile colors and branding. This is probably a good thing because Jacksons Stores are exponentially better in mix, pricing, and promotion and more useful than the Extra Miles I've dealt with in CA (which are just marginal for the most part, though above average for a CA c-store given CA has some of the worst c-stores in the US).
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

The Portland, Ore. Extra Mile stores have dropped Seattle's Best Coffee for some house brand (can't remember the name). I'm sure it's just Jackson's product repackaged.

Still, nice (basic) c-stores. I switched fuels to Chevron and almost all operators here are really good.
Super S

Post by Super S »

SamSpade wrote: August 24th, 2019, 2:46 pm The Portland, Ore. Extra Mile stores have dropped Seattle's Best Coffee for some house brand (can't remember the name). I'm sure it's just Jackson's product repackaged.

Still, nice (basic) c-stores. I switched fuels to Chevron and almost all operators here are really good.
There is one exception with Chevron locally. The operator of the locations (not sure if these are Extra Mile)off the Ridgefield exit and the Clark County Fairgrounds has a tendency to charge anywhere from 30-60 cents a gallon higher than any other local Chevron. This has gone on for several years. Within the past week they still had regular at $3.79 a gallon where most stations are at $3.35. I don't know how they get away with that.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I went to take a look at this location in Carson City today. They opened on Wednesday. The store is nice and interior decor does not really look like Extra Mile in CA that I've seen looks but also looks different from how the Jacksons look. However the fixtures, counters, and equipment are all identical to Jacksons equipment.

Only a few things here actually say Extra Mile: some drink cups (not all), the employee uniforms, some bottled water, and the signs out front. Oh and the pinpad said Extra Mile but the cash register display screen said Jacksons and the receipt says Jacksons.

Fountain drink cups are a combination of Jacksons cups and Extra Mile cups. The Extra Mile cups have Jacksons drink sizes on them (Little, Big, Really Big, Giant) which is different from the CA Extra Mile cups (which just say Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large) also no bar code on these cups which is again different from the CA cups which have bar codes.

Coffee is some Extra Mile themed program and the signs are red and look like SeaBest but nothing says SeaBest anywhere. Maybe it is just Jacksons coffee repackaged.

Jacksons brand products throughout the store and the promotions they are running are Jacksons promotions (not the same promotions being run by Extra Mile in CA).

This Extra Mile thing looks to me like a way for Jacksons to sell franchises to Chevron operators without putting their name on the store. Jacksons already supplies most of the independently owned Chevron and Shell stations it supplies gas to with c-store products through its c-store distribution arm. Now they can go full circle and supply them this "Extra Mile" brand too.
bm11k
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by bm11k »

Jacksons converting 22 stores in Treasure Valley to Extra Mile and secured naming rights to the Boise State Arena

https://www.cspdailynews.com/company-ne ... -extramile
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bm11k wrote: September 6th, 2019, 7:22 pm Jacksons converting 22 stores in Treasure Valley to Extra Mile and secured naming rights to the Boise State Arena

https://www.cspdailynews.com/company-ne ... -extramile
If anything like the new build Extra Mile they just opened it will have a few Extra Mile logos on the signs, but it will be a Jacksons very visibly still.

Not really a bad thing. Jacksons runs much better c-stores than those CA Extra Miles are.