Why City Market in Moab?

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Why City Market in Moab?

Post by SamSpade »

If you've ever visited Moab, Utah, you've also likely visited Kroger's o&o supermarket there.

I was just curious, why is it operated by City Market and branded such? Pretty much the rest of Utah's stores are Smith's and with that division as far as I know.

Thanks y'all.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Why City Market in Moab?

Post by jamcool »

Closer to the City Market distribution center in Grand Junction than Smith’s in SLC. There is also a City Market in Shiprock NM. And there are still Smith’s in Arizona, in Mohave County-closer to the Vegas warehouse than the Fry’s warehouse in Phoenix
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

That was previously a City Market territory in the 90s. The Price City Market Store was divested to Albertsons then to AFS.

Moab was once upon a time an extremely high volume store. I'm sure it still is.
a42887
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by a42887 »

I've gotta ask, why King Soopers in the title? I get that City Market is essentially colocated with King Soopers as far as corporate alignment goes, but I'm confused if there was more to what you were intending to convey?

There is still a City Market in Rawlins, WY despite most of Wyoming being Smith's territory. I'm guessing the truck route continues from Cheyenne's King Soopers. The King Soopers branding there kinda-sorta makes sense; Cheyenne is in a way becoming North Denver. It is the only King Soopers outside of Colorado though.

Also, there used to be a City Market in Rock Springs, WY as well. They closed that a while back though, and Smith's remains. They coexisted in town for a while I believe.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

I know their Tv ads use both brands, as do their trucks
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

I was looking at a jobs site and realized after I posted that I mentioned King Soopers in the title of the post instead of City Market.

Anything I've ever seen beyond stores themselves appears to co-brand the two of them at this point. It sounds like City Market used to have a bit more flexibility but due to realized cost savings (automation / Internet / etc) they merged it into the King Soopers division office at some point.

Sorry for the flub.

Interesting read, all. Thanks.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

SamSpade wrote: June 20th, 2018, 8:42 am I was looking at a jobs site and realized after I posted that I mentioned King Soopers in the title of the post instead of City Market.
;)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

submariner wrote: June 20th, 2018, 8:54 am
SamSpade wrote: June 20th, 2018, 8:42 am I was looking at a jobs site and realized after I posted that I mentioned King Soopers in the title of the post instead of City Market.
;)
They are sure interchangeable... aside from the sign out front I can't tell one from the other... and it has been that way since the first time I went to a City Market some years ago (back when you could more easily tell one Kroger banner from the other, which has definitely blurred the past few years)...