Locally owned markets reduced hours

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Locally owned markets reduced hours

Post by SamSpade »

In a reflection of the ever-shrinking demand for fringe hour shopping /non service department purchases / squeezes on local grocers,
the Portland local Bales Markets chain are now operating:
5 am to 11 pm (previously were 5 am to 1 am and years ago 24/7)
or
6 am to 10 pm

The company continues to operate 4 locations on the western and southern side of the Portland metro.

Sadly there are still few to no independent stores left in the Portland marketplace, although one could make an argument for Grocery Outlet franchisees, the family held Market of Choice mini-chain or New Seasons Market as being "local."
storewanderer

Re: Locally owned markets reduced hours

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 1:20 pm In a reflection of the ever-shrinking demand for fringe hour shopping /non service department purchases / squeezes on local grocers,
the Portland local Bales Markets chain are now operating:
5 am to 11 pm (previously were 5 am to 1 am and years ago 24/7)
or
6 am to 10 pm

The company continues to operate 4 locations on the western and southern side of the Portland metro.

Sadly there are still few to no independent stores left in the Portland marketplace, although one could make an argument for Grocery Outlet franchisees, the family held Market of Choice mini-chain or New Seasons Market as being "local."
Here in Reno all of the chains were 24 hours in the 90's (except Raleys), and initially when that stopped, the standard hours were 6 AM to Midnight for most stores but over time hours have been getting cut. Smiths and Safeway continue to be 24 hours. Raleys has a couple low volume stores at 7 AM to 10 PM over in Sparks and the rest mostly close at 11 PM. Save Mart has a couple low volume stores at 6 AM to 10 PM down in Carson City. Scolaris last two stores one is extremely low volume and 7 AM to 10 PM and the other has a somewhat odd traffic pattern and is fairly busy at night, is at 6 AM to Midnight.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I am shocked that Raley's is open until 10. The Nob Hill Foods owned by Raley's in Walnut Creek, California closes at 9.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: January 24th, 2019, 10:33 pm I am shocked that Raley's is open until 10. The Nob Hill Foods owned by Raley's in Walnut Creek, California closes at 9.
One of those Sparks stores closed at 9 PM for a while but got increased back up to 10 PM.

I don't think it bodes well when a grocery store closes at 9 PM. But it is a regional thing. Go to FL and you are hard pressed to find a Publix that is open past 9 PM or 10 PM. On the flip side, however, Publix is "full service" during operating hours meaning if the store is open, all of the departments are open and fully stocked/staffed too.

Raleys seems to close delis at or before 7 PM here in Reno in some stores, even moderately busy ones, which in my opinion is just too early. You can usually still get lunchmeat until 8 PM but forget salads or hot food. They have taken this nasty habit of closing so early in the Scolaris they bought too.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: January 26th, 2019, 12:12 am
Alpha8472 wrote: January 24th, 2019, 10:33 pm I am shocked that Raley's is open until 10. The Nob Hill Foods owned by Raley's in Walnut Creek, California closes at 9.
One of those Sparks stores closed at 9 PM for a while but got increased back up to 10 PM.

I don't think it bodes well when a grocery store closes at 9 PM. But it is a regional thing. Go to FL and you are hard pressed to find a Publix that is open past 9 PM or 10 PM. On the flip side, however, Publix is "full service" during operating hours meaning if the store is open, all of the departments are open and fully stocked/staffed too.

Raleys seems to close delis at or before 7 PM here in Reno in some stores, even moderately busy ones, which in my opinion is just too early. You can usually still get lunchmeat until 8 PM but forget salads or hot food. They have taken this nasty habit of closing so early in the Scolaris they bought too.
The newly-remodeled Safeway in Phoenix shuts down the hot food bar at 6:00 PM, which is when folks are starting to get home from work. I don't get it! Whole Foods' hot bar stays open late.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: January 26th, 2019, 12:12 am

Somewhere in Northern Ohio in the 1990s, I remember seeing a billboard for Kroger that advertised a 24 hour deli. Not sure what location. I always wondered how common this was during the time when it seemed almost all supermarkets were 24 hour operations.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

It's been a while since I've been to a Fred Meyer or QFC that late in the evening, but I recall that the Fred Meyer in Bellevue used to put remaining hot food items in the case at 50% off at 7pm, and generally closed the deli at 8. I'd occasionally go to grab a cheap dinner. Fred Meyer stores generally close at 11pm here. I think there are still a few 24 hour QFCs, but a lot of them have moved to 5am-1am schedules (with a few on 7am-Midnight schedules.)