Winter Storm panic shopping

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Winter Storm panic shopping

Post by Brian Lutz »

As you may know there's been a series of major Winter storms in the Northwest for the past week, which is rather unusual for this part of the country. Naturally, this leads to a fair bit of "clean out the aisles" panic shopping at the grocery stores. Before one of the storms last week one of the local news stations put together a slideshow of some of the empty shelves as a result:

https://komonews.com/news/local/photos- ... wpocalypse
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Winter Storm panic shopping

Post by SamSpade »

Several stations continued to recycle this story through the weekend for Portland as well, although most of our "panic shopping" was on Thursday and Friday.

Stay warm and safe up there, Brian. Looks like 2008 all over again (although maybe Jenny's streets team is doing better than Nickels did).

Trader Joe's seemed to suffer the worst shortages (combination of good prices and a far away warehouse, I suppose) along with Fred Meyer looking 2nd most "overshopped" (folks probably wanted a snow shovel or ice melt along with food).
https://expo.oregonlive.com/news/g66l-2 ... storm.html
bm11k
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by bm11k »

I also saw a Story that QFC and Fred Meyer Closed Early due to the Weather.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I actually got a notification from the Downtown Bellevue QFC (where I used to shop when I lived there) that they were operating on 7am-7pm hours this past Saturday and Sunday. Normally that one is a 24 hour store.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Just got another email that linked to this document(PDF) showing store hours for all the various QFC stores in the area. It looks like most are closing at 7pm and opening at 7am, with a few stores closing at 9pm. My sister in law went to the Totem Lake store in Kirkland today and reported that the store was running on generator power, and most of the perimeter departments were still largely empty.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Was on Fred Meyer's website tonight and they had pretty much all of the Western Washington stores listed from Tumwater north as closing early. South of Tumwater conditions were not as bad. I also noticed that Richland and Kennewick were listed.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Yup, here:
https://www.fredmeyer.com/topic/winter-weather

They were also wise enough to cancel grocery pick up and delivery (instacart) services.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I don't know if this is related, but I noticed that the Fred Meyer brand of 2% milk has been replaced by the Mountain Dairy brand (which has been absent from the Fred Meyer I shop at for a few years) and on the label it states "Real California Milk" I could see them bringing in milk from other areas to cover a temporary shortage.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Mountain Dairy is a brand commonly found at QFC (oddly enough, they sell both Mountain Dairy and QFC branded milk, with the QFC brand being slightly more expensive even though I'm guessing the product is exactly the same.) They might be bringing it in from a different dairy than usual, but it's probably still coming from a Kroger/ Inter-American facility.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: February 21st, 2019, 9:28 am I don't know if this is related, but I noticed that the Fred Meyer brand of 2% milk has been replaced by the Mountain Dairy brand (which has been absent from the Fred Meyer I shop at for a few years) and on the label it states "Real California Milk" I could see them bringing in milk from other areas to cover a temporary shortage.
Is the plant number 06-xx? If so it is coming in from California.

Or the labels got screwed up...

If it is coming from California it is coming from southern California.