Washington Senate passes Plastic Bag Ban

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Washington Senate passes Plastic Bag Ban

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: March 6th, 2019, 6:30 pm

If you are going to ban plastic bags, ban those super thick "reusable" ones too. They aren't reusable because they get over-packed and puncture on the first use.

Oh, it's the monthly storewander anti-plastic bag ban topic....

I don't know what you are doing with your bags, but I have reused the 10 cent super thick Aldi bags dozens and dozens of times...yeah, they will eventually wear out and get holes over time, but they definitely aren't a 'one and done' thing.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: March 13th, 2019, 8:38 pm
storewanderer wrote: March 6th, 2019, 6:30 pm

If you are going to ban plastic bags, ban those super thick "reusable" ones too. They aren't reusable because they get over-packed and puncture on the first use.

Oh, it's the monthly storewander anti-plastic bag ban topic....

I don't know what you are doing with your bags, but I have reused the 10 cent super thick Aldi bags dozens and dozens of times...yeah, they will eventually wear out and get holes over time, but they definitely aren't a 'one and done' thing.
The bag is already punctured the moment it is lifted off the counter. This is due to the employees in their effort to not sell too many bags (probably due to customers getting mad about it), fill the bag extremely full and heavy. I supposed I could alleviate the issue by telling them I want to purchase two bags. But I'm not really interested in carting around reusable grocery bags in my suitcase when I travel into California. The discussion at checkout is "do you want bags" and my response is "yes." After that I stand there and the cashier takes one super thick bag and fills it up.

With your Aldi bags, you are doing the bagging and you are buying the bags. There is a difference. I suppose I could take more control over the situation by asking for two bags then reusing the bags. But that just slows down the process more by having to stop the cashier and make the request.

But Aldi has free boxes, so why use bags there at all?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I see this garbage bill did not make it out of the house committee and as such it failed. Just like it failed the last time in Washington when they tried it.

This was a VERY nasty bill in WA. It actually had language (which I think may have been removed in the latest draft) that called for a private individual to be fined if they brought a thin banned plastic bag into the store of their own. I forget what agency it said would enforce it, as the whole idea of that was a total pipe dream. What is the store going to do, detain you for bringing your own bag? Then call some 8-5 government agency to come out and issue you a citation? Absolutely nuts.

We will see if it comes back again next year for a third (but who's counting) failure. I am sure it will, because some politicians just never learn.

Especially in a rainy place like Washington. Paper bags simply fall apart with exposure to much water. Plastic bags work much better in the rain. I am assuming the people pushing these things rarely or ever grocery shop, let alone for a large family with a $200 weekly shopping trip, in a rainy climate.

Frankly all these politicians passing any kind of legislation to do with plastic bags (that includes the ones who are passing "bans on bans"- though I suppose I agree more with that position than the bans) need to all be fired. There are a lot more pressing issues that these states need to focus on than regulating (or not regulating) plastic bags. Leave it alone and leave it to the retailers and customers to make their own decisions.
Super S

Post by Super S »

It looks like this bill has died:

https://www.columbian.com/news/2019/may ... c-bag-ban/

I am glad that it died. I don't like the idea of having to keep bags stored in vehicles for times I have to stop at a store after work etc. (I actually own five vehicles and don't like a lot of clutter inside them) I also don't like the potential for stores to require that reusable bags can only be those issued by the specific store (I have heard of some stores already trying to do this)