New Format QFC To Open In Gig Harbor

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
VibeGuy
Cashier
Cashier

Re: New Format QFC To Open In Gig Harbor

Post by VibeGuy »

I agree that 15th could be an excellent candidate.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

A couple of QFCs on the Eastside I could possibly see getting converted if they were to do something like this:

- The Bellevue Way/NE 28th St. store (relatively close to the much larger Downtown Bellevue store, and definitely on the small side)

- The Redmond Center store in Redmond (Average sized store, but this one has been somewhat of an anomaly as it is only a couple of blocks from the larger Bella Bottega QFC (converted from an Olson's after that merger in the mid 90s,) yet both stores have remained operating for almost 20 years since then.

- The 145th Pl. SE and SE 16th store in Bellevue: Another somewhat smaller store that is kind of hidden in the neighborhood and relatively close to two other QFCs (Crossroads and Factoria.) Probably less likely because it recently got a remodel.

There's also the Parkplace store in Kirkland which is set to be replaced with a newer store as part of the redevelopment of that complex. As of the last time I was there the store still had late 80s/early 90s decor, presumably because the Parkplace development had been in limbo (tied up in various NIMBY lawsuits) for so long that it just made no sense to remodel the place. I suspect the replacement will be a more urban type store, and will probably remain a QFC.
VibeGuy
Cashier
Cashier

Post by VibeGuy »

Wow. Absolutely stunning decor package. White and light grey tile, light woods, exposed beams and ventilation, really bright. I can honestly say I've never seen anything as attractive - better than WFM flagships, Gelson's, Bristol Farms, PCC or anything from the major brands.

From what I could glimpse, it looks like the rough placement of bakery, deli and meat remains the same. It does appear that not only have the former employee breakroom/lockers become part of the dining area, but the dramatic skylights that have been covered all the years I've been going there have been uncovered.

This could actually change the game for Kroger in markets where they have some smaller real estate that could support a moderately upscale brand - sort of a Simon David / Central Market companion brand.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Sounds like a Mariano's...
VibeGuy
Cashier
Cashier

Post by VibeGuy »

And at long last, a date. February 3, 7am, they'll open for normal business. An invitational preview event is being held on February 2. There are still tradespeople in the building as late as 9:00 last night.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I think Safeway will be alright when Main & Vine opens. If M&V is as upscale as Kroger wants it to be, then Safeway could be the "upscale leaning but still 'normal' grocery store", much like how in Dallas, H-E-B's Central Market plays the "upscale" store while Tom Thumb plays the "nice but not quite as upscale" card. However, one of the things that probably helps Tom Thumb there is that the Central Market layout has this bizarre labyrinthine layout. I don't know if Main & Vine will be quite as "a-maze-ing" as Central Market, though.
VibeGuy
Cashier
Cashier

Post by VibeGuy »

Not maze-like at all. No forced stroll through produce. Compared to the Safeway across the street, it's almost certainly a quicker in and out - that thing is a BEAST. It's easily one of the largest Safeway stores in western WA.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I didn't notice that there was a Fred Meyer Marketplace across the freeway. I guess M&V is trying to differentiate its customer bases?
VibeGuy
Cashier
Cashier

Post by VibeGuy »

Yeah, and apparently with only 7.5 aisles of center store, M&V is being very selective on their product mix. Apparently Corn Flakes are OK, Froot Loops are not. I absolutely think they're counting on complementing the FM Marketplace.

Fred Meyer is the anchor tenant in a new development on the same side of Hwy 16 as Main and Vine. The footprint is too small for a full-line store, so it looks like a new-build Marketplace location:

http://www.wwrproperties.com/property/o ... wne-center
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

Gig Harbor is an interesting place. I know that years ago, when Walmart wanted in, the citizens were not happy. But it seems that they are more friendly to Fred Meyer as it has a better reputation than Walmart. But I thought it was interesting that they were just building an new "Marketplace" Fred Meyer. But if you go inside the current Fred Meyer Marketplace, they actually brand it as a Fred Meyer Northwest Best, which is a Fred Meyer version of a QFC Fresh Fare. I have been in the Fred Meyer Northwest Best store on Burnside in Portland. It really looks similar to a QFC Fresh Fare. In fact, I am surprised that the few QFC stores in Portland Metro don't just become Fred Meyer Northwest Best stores. There are very similar. But getting back to Gig Harbor, the current Fred Meyer Markeplace/Northwest Best is not as upscale looking as the one in Portland. So I am wondering if the reason they are moving the store is that it is hard to remodel or because they want to be in a more upscale center? But the product mix at a Fred Meyer Northwest Best is similar to a QFC. So I am sure that for those who want a more QFC type of product mix, the Fred Meyer Northwest Best will fit the bill. But given Kroger's experience, I am sure they will avoid the mistakes that Haggen made and properly advertise this new store and let folks know what makes it different! So I am sure that Kroger IS trying to differentiate their customer bases. I know that Town and Country Markets are also opening in Gig Harbor. So it may be good that Main & Vine is opening now to get a head start. It is also good they they are opening before any Whole Foods Market comes in. Although there is a new one in University Place across the Narrows Bridge.