Ridleys continued expansion

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Ridleys continued expansion

Post by SamSpade »

Ridley's is further stepping into northern Utah after "buying" the Harmons at Five Points in Ogden, Utah. Apparently they bought a store directly across from the center which is a grocery-Ace Hardware combination, but it retained its original name.

There is a lot of good context about who Ridleys is and who Harmons are as operators. Both are supplied by Associated Food Stores. Ridleys also took over about half of the AFS acquired stores from the Albertsons-Safeway merger.

Customers Upset by Loss of Ogden's Neighborhood Grocer

I don't believe Harmons owned this store, but based on the story it appeared to be fixed up and moved in the direction of the rest of their stores as seen in this report. One of my friends used to live in Ogden and visited this store, explaining that at the time it looked nothing like their other locations and very run down. He told me store personnel said that the property was leased which is why Harmons hadn't spent money on it.

I am shocked someone was traveling from Malad, but then if they were already in the Ogden area for other errands, I could see it.

Edit: It appears that Ridley's decided the new larger Harmon's building would be a great place to house a combination grocer and hardware store so they moved across the street. Wangsgards grocery will relocate to old Harmons