Albertsons/Safeway 2018 & 2019: Openings and Closings

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Albertsons/Safeway 2018: Openings and Closings

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: June 20th, 2018, 5:37 pm The Vons on State Street in Santa Barbara will close on September 14th. Vons has operated the store for 51 years. The article referenced below says that Bristol Farms will move into the space.

I'm surprised by this one. They are the last conventional grocer on upper State Street, which is a pretty wealthy part of Santa Barbara. A Ralphs that was a former Alpha Beta closed last year.

In that area you will have in addition to the Bristol Farms:
- Smart & Final (built as a Lucky, then became Albertson's which was divested to Haggen, and then Smart Final. Interestingly after the merger they opted to keep the Vons that is now closing instead of this store. They are across the street from each other).
- Whole Foods (former Circuit City)
- Gelson's (former A&P, Fazio's and Albertson's - which was divested when they merged with Lucky)
- Grocery Outlet (in the former Alpha Beta/Ralphs space)
- Trader Joe's

https://www.edhat.com/news/bristol-farm ... mbre-plaza
That Vons was kind of a dump, but still surprising to see it go. Funny how there are still so many grocers but either the "high road" or the "low road" and no real middle. Closest thing to middle is Trader Joe's. Though fans of Grocery Outlet or Smart and Final may argue with my assessment.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

A few Texas updates to this list:

- The Randalls on 290 in Cypress needs to be added.
- Both of the Randalls locations which closed earlier this year (Stafford and 34th Street) are reopening under El Rancho Supermercado.
- The Mansfield Market Street store has opened.

I have also heard rumors about a potential Tom Thumb closure in Dallas later this year, but will not share anything unless if officially announced as the specific location simply doesn't seem to make sense for closure. Also, yet again, there are rumors going around locally about the Casa Linda Albertsons converting to Tom Thumb, though I am sure that this is just pure speculation as usual.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

architect wrote: June 20th, 2018, 8:53 pm A few Texas updates to this list:

- The Randalls on 290 in Cypress needs to be added.
- Both of the Randalls locations which closed earlier this year (Stafford and 34th Street) are reopening under El Rancho Supermercado.
- The Mansfield Market Street store has opened.

I have also heard rumors about a potential Tom Thumb closure in Dallas later this year, but will not share anything unless if officially announced as the specific location simply doesn't seem to make sense for closure. Also, yet again, there are rumors going around locally about the Casa Linda Albertsons converting to Tom Thumb, though I am sure that this is just pure speculation as usual.
It's been kinda crazy recently and I haven't updated the original post (it's too late this evening).
Holly Bost

Post by Holly Bost »

Is there a comprehensive list of the stores that have closed and opened in 2018? As well as any planned opening/closures for the remainder of the year? Many thanks!
bjchap65

Post by bjchap65 »

Another Safeway is closing in Portland, OR at NE 122nd And Glisan, date is set for August 18, 2018.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

bjchap65 wrote: July 14th, 2018, 7:56 pm Another Safeway is closing in Portland, OR at NE 122nd And Glisan, date is set for August 18, 2018.
Reading online reviews it looks like this store was a victim of theft and a customer base that was not comparable with Safeway pricing.
Super S

Post by Super S »

bjchap65 wrote: July 14th, 2018, 7:56 pm Another Safeway is closing in Portland, OR at NE 122nd And Glisan, date is set for August 18, 2018.
A Target in the same shopping center closed several years ago, and I believe is still vacant.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

arizonaguy wrote: July 14th, 2018, 8:21 pm
Reading online reviews it looks like this store was a victim of theft and a customer base that was not comparable with Safeway pricing.
Interesting. I thought this store had already closed a year or two ago... I had heard there were some pretty major theft/safety issues.

Also curious to see this store has Quest Diagnostics in the medical space next to pharmacy and also either was a very very late Lifestyle remodel or got the center store reset (backlit drug shelves, etc.) shortly before Albertsons took over Safeway...

This store also received the Albertsons lighting "enhancement." Big bright florescent strips placed across the perimeter and the old can lights still there but not turned on.

Questionable if something has recently changed in this neighborhood or what... the 2 surrounding WinCos are recent openings?
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Super S wrote: July 14th, 2018, 9:22 pm
A Target in the same shopping center closed several years ago, and I believe is still vacant.
The Target store is now offices for the State Department of Human Services...aka welfare office.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: July 14th, 2018, 11:19 pm
arizonaguy wrote: July 14th, 2018, 8:21 pm
Interesting. I thought this store had already closed a year or two ago... I had heard there were some pretty major theft/safety issues.

Also curious to see this store has Quest Diagnostics in the medical space next to pharmacy and also either was a very very late Lifestyle remodel or got the center store reset (backlit drug shelves, etc.) shortly before Albertsons took over Safeway...

This store also received the Albertsons lighting "enhancement." Big bright florescent strips placed across the perimeter and the old can lights still there but not turned on.

Questionable if something has recently changed in this neighborhood or what... the 2 surrounding WinCos are recent openings?
I'm sure the Multnomah County Sheriff's office closing nearby and being turned into a homeless shelter didn't help the neighborhood.