How often does a supermarket need to remodel?

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

How often does a supermarket need to remodel?

Post by cjd »

What do you think? It seems in the last 20 years or so remodels have been more often, but it's more or less just changing the decor package and paint. I'm not seeing as much in the way of infrastructure remodels such as refrigeration replacements or departments moving around. Publix seems to be rebuilding stores entirely either in existing locations or new ones, rather than remodeling.

Obviously I guess this goes by the size of the store and whether it fits the needs of what volume its doing. Sometimes it just isn't necessary to relocate departments or expand.

I think decor should probably change every 5 or so years to keep things fresh looking. At about 15 years flooring, fixtures and refrigeration start to look a little dated and a bit worn. Not always though. For example, to me a store from 1980 operating in 2000 those things looked a lot more dated than a 2000 store operating in 2018.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: How often does a supermarket need to remodel?

Post by Knight »

Publix is building replacement stores in the location of older stores indeed. Most older stores were/are either older Publix stores in operation for thirty to sixty years, or were inherited stores acquired from competitors that would have costly overhauls.

A supermarket should not need a remodel if it is maintained well and receives a refresh at least every five years. I have noticed this with Publix and Ingle's.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Remodels every 10 years is generally the industry standard. They will try to stretch that on lower volume stories.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

It does seem sometimes they only remodel to make it look different, which seems a bit unneeded. They could save that money and use it elsewhere in the store (more workers, lowered prices or similar) that would benefit the customers more.

A different thing when they are switching out equipment that either doesn't work well or when the newer versions are better (for instance, use less power which also saves money in the long run).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I would rather see remodels that handle upkeep than just cosmetic cheap "wall paint" style remodels. WinCo is a good example of this. They "maintain" their stores but they don't really do remodels that change decor. They repaint existing decor, clean walls, even remodel department prep areas on a tiered schedule. But they do not "remodel" for the sake of remodeling. Their stores generally look maintained and do not look run down. They are not pretty but they are functional.

Except in the case of some chains who have been putting out some really ugly looking store interiors the past couple years (Kroger). In that case I will welcome some decor changes once they get some decent looking decor. They just need to go see Harris Teeter for some decent decor.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: October 15th, 2018, 6:50 pm I would rather see remodels that handle upkeep than just cosmetic cheap "wall paint" style remodels. WinCo is a good example of this. They "maintain" their stores but they don't really do remodels that change decor. They repaint existing decor, clean walls, even remodel department prep areas on a tiered schedule. But they do not "remodel" for the sake of remodeling. Their stores generally look maintained and do not look run down. They are not pretty but they are functional.

Except in the case of some chains who have been putting out some really ugly looking store interiors the past couple years (Kroger). In that case I will welcome some decor changes once they get some decent looking decor. They just need to go see Harris Teeter for some decent decor.
I don't know if any changes took place to the interior, but I do know that WinCo has redone the exterior of a couple of the older stores in the Portland area, which originally opened as Cub Foods. One is on 82nd near Clackamas Town Center, the other is across from the Gateway Fred Meyer. These stores had a brown facade that was common at Cub Foods stores in other areas of the country. Many WinCo stores kept using the Cub interior long after they ended the franchised use of the Cub name. It's only recently they have moved away from this in their new locations.

Meanwhile, the most recent Fred Meyer remodels are going to look dated quickly, especially where they are ripping up tiles and doing a poor job of polishing the concrete below....