Whole Foods Expansion

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
klkla

Re: Whole Foods Expansion

Post by klkla »

I can't say I'm surprised. This format was created to appease Wall Street when they were independent. Now under Amazon's ownership that is no longer necessary.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: January 15th, 2019, 3:03 pm
I can't say I'm surprised. This format was created to appease Wall Street when they were independent. Now under Amazon's ownership that is no longer necessary.
Funny. South Lake Tahoe 365 was slated to open in a few weeks and they've been getting the store ready...
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Amazon probably realized that they could make more money on the full priced Whole Foods stores. Eventually the 365 name will be dropped and all prices will be raised to absurd levels.

The 365 store under construction will probably open as a full priced Whole Foods store.

There is no shortage of people who will throw their money away.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: January 19th, 2019, 3:02 pm Amazon probably realized that they could make more money on the full priced Whole Foods stores. Eventually the 365 name will be dropped and all prices will be raised to absurd levels.

The 365 store under construction will probably open as a full priced Whole Foods store.

Whole Foods pricing is very outrageous now. Produce is less than fresh; fresher produce at Smiths for sure (and that isn't saying much). Amazon seems to be all over the media saying they've cut prices in Whole Foods. I sure don't see it; not at the Reno Whole Foods anyway.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

storewanderer wrote: January 19th, 2019, 6:31 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: January 19th, 2019, 3:02 pm Amazon probably realized that they could make more money on the full priced Whole Foods stores. Eventually the 365 name will be dropped and all prices will be raised to absurd levels.

Whole Foods pricing is very outrageous now. Produce is less than fresh; fresher produce at Smiths for sure (and that isn't saying much). Amazon seems to be all over the media saying they've cut prices in Whole Foods. I sure don't see it; not at the Reno Whole Foods anyway.
In Texas (particularly DFW), Whole Foods pricing is absurd compared to Kroger, HEB, Walmart and even Sprouts. It is also problematic that Central Market's pricing on staple items is mostly identical to the standard HEB stores, making the DFW Whole Foods pricing seem even more rediculous. The only competitor in the same price range is Tom Thumb/Albertsons, which is saying something.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

I can't speak for the entire Phoenix market, but the WFM at 20th and Camelback is competitive with Trader Joe's in some categories and with Fry's and Safeway in others. For example, when spices are on sale they the same price as at Trader Joe's. Dairy is also comparable to TJ's, Fray's, and Safeway for comparable products (WFM-brand almond milk vs TJ's/Lucerne). The prices on WFM's bagged salads and lettuces are the same or less than Safeway and Fry's and are of better quality than Fry's and comparable quality to Safeway. Their rolls (I buy ciabatta) are about the same price as Safeway and of comparable quality. They are more expensive than Fry's but the quality is better. Aside from that, I've never liked WFM's produce. It always looks like it has been sitting around. This dates back to when I lived in San Diego, long before the Amazon acquisition. I also don't like their meat.

Twenty-plus years ago when they opened their store in downtown Evanston, IL the quality of their meat and produce was very good. It was on-par with Jewel and far superior to Dominick's. Back then, organic meat was not common in supermarkets and produce was just starting to become a staple. (The two Evanston Jewel stores already stocked some organic produce because the clientele wanted it and they had competition from Oak Street Market, which WFM bought so they could enter Evanston without having to worry about battling a local competitor). Even then, Fresh Fields (remember them?) had better variety and, in my opinion, better quality. WFM took care of that, as we all know.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I know the sign out front has the Whole Foods name almost as big as the 365 lettering outside (at least the last time I checked), but I think the Houston location (and by extension others) have de-emphasized the WFM name, with the bags and receipts not mentioning WFM at all. I don't go to 365 all that often, only for things like getting decent bakery bread (which Kroger does not have) or spices (Kroger doesn't carry McCormick). Both of those issues will be irrelevant by the time H-E-B opens.