Kroger takes partnership with "Lucky's Market"

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Kroger takes partnership with "Lucky's Market"

Post by storewanderer »

Mariano's was a unique case because it was developed by people who knew the Chicago market like no other and had some good connections to get, should we say, difficult to approve projects, approved.

An outsider could not go into a new market (such as Florida) and do that.

Mariano's was a very unique case.

Plus, people are generally satisfied with Publix in Florida, from the best I can tell. In Chicago, people are/were less than satisfied with Jewel and Dominicks. So there is that, too.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Grocery retail in Florida IS Publix and that's it.

Everyone I know rarely goes into Winn Dixie (remodeled or not).

No one I know shops at Walmart (though I know they do much better than W/D)

In South Florida there is Mylam's, purportedly an upscale gourmet grocer...........NOT! (Their stores are so outdated and not upscale. They purchased many Pantry Pride stores).

Sedano's is an hispanic grocer. This chain has hardly grown in decades. The stores are dirty, zero service and big problems with fresh (flies in produce and the like).

The few strategically placed Whole Foods are super busy.

From what I'm told there are very few SuperTargets.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote:Mariano's was a unique case because it was developed by people who knew the Chicago market like no other and had some good connections to get, should we say, difficult to approve projects, approved.

An outsider could not go into a new market (such as Florida) and do that.

Mariano's was a very unique case.

Plus, people are generally satisfied with Publix in Florida, from the best I can tell. In Chicago, people are/were less than satisfied with Jewel and Dominicks. So there is that, too.
The Publix "satisfaction" is also because Publix is actually located in Florida and everyone loves the "hometown" grocery, even if they have spread their wings quite a bit. Dominick's and Jewel-Osco had "foreign" ownership since 2000 by owners who could never really capture that true "hometown" feel. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't wish to see more competition, just like H-E-B is a powerful and well-loved (admittedly, somewhat deservedly) force yet some people wish for an alternative.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Publix excels on quality control and having a clean store. They market as something "better" than the competition and generally they deliver (such as vs. Atlanta Kroger, or vs. Winn Dixie, they are obviously a better quality operator, a better service operator, and run much neater stores). Their prices also do not seem outrageous but they definitely push the envelope on some prices at some locations. They seem to have an idea what they can get away with on price. I've never not bought something I wanted at a Publix because I've deemed the price too high (wish I could say the same for Safeway and Albertsons where I do that every time I walk in) but there have been times where the price was definitely more than I was used to paying.

Publix reminds me of a smaller version of Hy Vee. But the Publix is more refined, more sterile, more formula based, feels a bit more upscale, and is perhaps running a little better quality. Still, I much prefer Hy Vee to Publix. Hy Vee just has so much more to offer in its stores and on its perimeters and the way each Hy Vee is independently operated by the store manager makes each location very, very different in regards to pricing and merchandising. The Hy Vee prepared food program is also excellent if you know what to order and get in at the right time (some is quite bland and the menu/execution/pricing does vary by location). I've been to Hy Vees I wasn't too thrilled with for one reason or another but usually I could just go to another nearby location and be impressed with it.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I think if you all had the opportunity to visit Publix in Dade County you would understand what I mean about their fresh issues and service issues.

Publix's reputation stands tall the farther north you travel.

In Miami it's another story and contingent to the neighborhood they are in.

Some stores are quite shockingly bad that you have to look at the outside of the building to believe it's a Publix.