Safeway Super Stores and Marketplaces (1977-1994)

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
StoreLiker2006
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Safeway Super Stores and Marketplaces (1977-1994)

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

I tend to think of Safeway's two formats aimed at large stores over 35,000 square feet as being the last of the most-interesting Safeways of all time.

They are the Super Store (1977-1988) and the Marketplace (1988-1994) and both had very interesting interiors as well as exteriors. The Marketplace format was adopted when Safeway had been recovering from a hostile takeover attempt two years earlier that, in the process, caused them to sell off nearly half of all their stores nationwide as well as close down numerous subsidiaries here and worldwide. Safeway also converted some of their older underperforming stores to "Food Barns" (best described as no-frills, discount stores) in the early/mid 1980s.

Over here, Safeway converted their 1964-built Beaverton store to a "Food Barn" in 1983, while the company's seven-year-old Hazel Dell store became a "Super Food Barn" in 1984.

~Ben
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Safeway Super Stores and Marketplaces (1977-1994)

Post by wnetmacman »

The Safeway Super Stores were popular in Texas. I went to two in particular; Longview and Tyler.

Longview was at 103 W. Whaley St. downtown. It was just below Longview's water towers for many years. Initially, it was a Safeway/Super S (later Skaggs) combo. It was remodeled into the Super Store in 1979. The Super Store was most reminiscent of the Kroger Family Centers. While the store had a full grocery, deli and bakery, it also had a full pharmacy, electronics, photo and gm departments. It was huge for the time, at 45,000 sq. ft. It closed in 1987 during the DFW closure. It was one of the 43 stores not initially divested to another operator, but it did sell 3 months later to a group out of LA/MS that ran several County Market stores. It was a County Market for just short of 2 1/2 years, closing late January 1990. The purchaser then was Brookshire Grocery Company, making this store the 12th Super 1 Foods. That store remained there until 1992. it is now the Gregg County Jail.

Tyler was at 4400 S. Broadway. It was quite similar to Longview, except in exterior design. The store was built as the Safeway Super Store; it's the only one I ever saw that was initially a Super Store. Similar to Longview, it closed in 1987 with no immediate buyer. It was later split between MacFrugals (now Big Lots) and Michaels, who has since moved out.

They were nice stores for Safeway at a time when Dallas wasn't very profitable for them.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I know at least one of the stores in Redmond/Bellevue (the Overlake store on NE 24th) was a Super Store in the late 70s and early 80s, as I have found newspaper ads for the store showing them selling things like computers and other home electronics in the store. If I dig through my archives I might even be able to find the ad. The store is still a Safeway, with little to distinguish it from other stores at this point. I know the Marketplace format was pretty common here while that was around too.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

I am thinking that this discussion belongs in Groceteria?
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

marshd1000 wrote:I am thinking that this discussion belongs in Groceteria?
Indeed it does. Sorry guys, I'm closing this topic here :)