Winn Dixie Marketplace types

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Winn Dixie Marketplace types

Post by wnetmacman »

I'm pulling this out of the Oregon Safeway Discussion:

All areas of Winn-Dixie had up to 5 different types of Marketplace stores. For a little history: WD started building Marketplace stores in 1988. One of the originals was in Baton Rouge, with others to follow in several areas later. At the time, the average WD was less than 30,000 square feet in size. No pharmacies, deli-bakery combo, and not much else. Pretty rigid in terms of stores.

This changed with the advent of the Winn Dixie Marketplace. Meat departments became Service Meats, the Deli and Bakery were frequently split, and pharmacies were added. Also, the general merchandise was greatly expanded.

There were not less than 5 different models.

The original. I know of two examples of this store: Baton Rouge, and Denton, TX.
Baton Rouge is a Shopper's Value Foods now. (all pictures from Google Maps)
Shopper's Value BR
Shopper's Value BR
Denton, TX is a Brookshire's.
Brookshire's Denton
Brookshire's Denton
The Parallelogram. There are several of these; this one is in Abbeville, LA.
WD Abbeville
WD Abbeville
Brookshire has purchased several of these; here's what Opelousas, LA looks like now.
Super 1 Foods Opelousas
Super 1 Foods Opelousas
Another model was introduced after these two. I don't have a name, except I know it always contained the Food Pavilion. Here's one from Lafayette, LA just prior to closing earlier this year. It recently reopened as Shopper's Value Foods.
WD Lafayette Ambassador
WD Lafayette Ambassador
The last model in chronological order was a simpler model, with a central, straight set of doors. This one is from Crowley, LA. There are multiple visual versions of this design, but they all have the same floorplan.
WD Crowley
WD Crowley
New Iberia, LA, is identical.

The fifth model is what I can best term as the Expansion model. These stores were expanded to Marketplace from a standard WD. There are three in my area, Lafayette, Eunice and Breaux Bridge, LA. Here is Lafayette; the first picture is from 2009 but shows what it looked like when it became a Marketplace. The second picture is what it currently looks like.
WD Lafayette Moss before
WD Lafayette Moss before
WD Lafayette Moss after
WD Lafayette Moss after
For comparison's sake, here's Breaux Bridge.
WD Breaux Bridge
WD Breaux Bridge
Any additional comments are definitely welcome.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Re: Winn Dixie Marketplace types

Post by submariner »

Hey guys, like the Safeway Superstores, WD Marketplaces are definitely historical and should be discussed at Groceteria. Sorry :)