Consistency of Raley's Stores versus Safeway

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Consistency of Raley's Stores versus Safeway

Post by storewanderer »

This sort of thing is why Raleys, with nicer stores, more competitive pricing on staple items, and higher quality perimeter departments (would sure help if they'd put some product out in their bakery and deli areas though...) continues to lag behind Safeway so far in NorCal.

I continue to scratch my head at what they are (or aren't) doing... the ideas are there, the focus and execution are very strange to say the least.

This particular store has a lot of closed areas up front they could have done this; there is a closed tenant space, a closed bank space, a closed customer service/photo counter, and a closed video rental counter.

Another thing, I was recently in the Raleys that got the nice $8+ million remodel to their new format in Reno on Mt. Rose Highway. The store has a giant open space up front with a Peet's counter. The Peet's was already closed and the sign posted says Peet's Hours 7 AM to 5 PM. Closing the coffee counter at 5 PM? Why bother to even offer this service if you can't afford to staff it until 6 PM or 7 PM? Why even keep it open until 5 PM? Why not just close at 2 PM if you are so tight on labor?