Total Count of new Albertsons/Safeway stores in 2016

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Total Count of new Albertsons/Safeway stores in 2016

Post by veteran+ »

pseudo3d wrote:
klkla wrote:The store will be 55,000 sq.ft.

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2016/09/12/ ... g-sept-14/
That's not too big at all. The Randalls in Leander under construction is 59k square feet, and that was planned under Safeway, and Safeway generally has smaller stores than Albertsons. A shame since Albertsons used to push boundaries (and Safeway closed a lot of big stores, like 80k square feet Randalls or a 100k square feet Dominick's). (By the way, I updated the list)

You beat me to it LOL

IMO, that's not very large.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Safeway originally planned a larger Walnut Creek store, but the final store ended up being much smaller. Construction was halted for a time when Albertsons got cold feet. I am not sure if Albertsons is responsible for the store being shrunk down. Albertsons has added their own touches to this store. There are no self-checkout machines and the lighting is very bright. This new store lacks the mood lighting that Safeway was known for. The fake wood flooring and wooden cross lights that Safeway used in their Produce departments is also absent. There was 1 cashier for the entire store at 10PM. In fact, there were more people in the deli and bakery than ther were at the registers. The deli was open after 11PM and I saw people in the bakery late at night.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

This store looks pretty good. I see what looks like a nutrition department. Finally.

I am a little curious why they are still using the decade old lifestyle decor in NorCal. I think the "colorful lifestyle" would have been better. I guess NorCal is still clinging to wanting to be consistent.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

You can add a 9/16 Acme in Boonton, NJ. This was a conversion from an A&P, but unlike the rest that were done last year in quick fashion (and then some have had more remodeling/changes this year) this store was not purchased from A&P until just prior to it's closing date. Thus it has been closed since November of 2015 and just now re-opened as Acme.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I added the three new Tom Thumb stores and also a new United Supermarkets that opened in Lubbock this week.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

The VONS at 5630 Lake Murray Blvd in La Mesa, CA re-opened on 3/8/16. It was a VONS, became a Haggen, closed, and was re-opened as a VONS. Prior to being Haggenated it had the first generation Lifestyle interior. After being re-converted it has the second generation Lifestyle interior with a few added touches, such as wooden trim around the perimeter signs.

Here are other re-opened stores in San Diego County:

- Albertsons in Rancho Bernardo, at 12475 Rancho Bernardo Road (approx 3/1/16)
- Albertsons in El Cajon at 1608 Broadway St. (3/8/16)
- VONS 671 Rancho Santa Fe in San Marcos (approx 3/15/16)
- VONS 7895 Highland Village Place in San Diego (11/16/16) This location was an Albertsons prior to being Haggenated. It also has the Florida decor.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

rwsandiego wrote:The VONS at 5630 Lake Murray Blvd in La Mesa, CA re-opened on 3/8/16. It was a VONS, became a Haggen, closed, and was re-opened as a VONS. Prior to being Haggenated it had the first generation Lifestyle interior. After being re-converted it has the second generation Lifestyle interior with a few added touches, such as wooden trim around the perimeter signs.

Here are other re-opened stores in San Diego County:

- Albertsons in Rancho Bernardo, at 12475 Rancho Bernardo Road (approx 3/1/16)
- Albertsons in El Cajon at 1608 Broadway St. (3/8/16)
- VONS 671 Rancho Santa Fe in San Marcos (approx 3/15/16)
- VONS 7895 Highland Village Place in San Diego (11/16/16) This location was an Albertsons prior to being Haggenated. It also has the Florida decor.
Added. Also added was the 1489 Bird Avenue store in San Jose, CA. This store was built as an Alpha Beta and recently served as Fresh & Easy. It is also very small, about 20k square feet. It does not include a bakery but DOES include Boar's Head cold cuts, surprisingly.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I've added G&G and am wrapping up the list (still got a number of Haggen stores to do left), but of the 40+ stores opened this year, only one looks like it wasn't a replacement of an older store or a rebranding of a non-ABS/SWY store, and that would be Leander's Randalls. After years of closures and then the divestment on both sides, Safeway and Albertsons actually had a net growth of about +20 stores this year. (also, the replacement Phoenix store will NOT open this year)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I am surprised the net is only +20 as it felt like they took quite a few Haggen Stores back...
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote:I am surprised the net is only +20 as it felt like they took quite a few Haggen Stores back...
I haven't yet finished adding the Haggen reopenings, though I know a few took place last year. However, I'm pretty sure there are some stores yet to reopen...