Total Count of new Albertsons/Safeway stores in 2016

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

Re: Total Count of new Albertsons/Safeway stores in 2016

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote:I am surprised the net is only +20 as it felt like they took quite a few Haggen Stores back...
My bad, I re-did my calculations and the actual number is closer to +50 since I added more Haggen stores back. More Albertsons stores appeared this year (by net) than any other brand (including conversions), but that's keeping in mind that more Albertsons were lost last year, so overall the count of Albertsons-branded stores have been on a decline since the early 2000s. We'll never see the 1000+ stores when they had Lucky, and almost solid contiguous stores from California to Iowa and Florida.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Added a Jewel-Osco in Mundelin that opened late in November. I still suspect I'm missing a former Haggen or two, especially one in the "rejected leases" list.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

pseudo3d wrote:
storewanderer wrote:I am surprised the net is only +20 as it felt like they took quite a few Haggen Stores back...
My bad, I re-did my calculations and the actual number is closer to +50 since I added more Haggen stores back. More Albertsons stores appeared this year (by net) than any other brand (including conversions), but that's keeping in mind that more Albertsons were lost last year, so overall the count of Albertsons-branded stores have been on a decline since the early 2000s. We'll never see the 1000+ stores when they had Lucky, and almost solid contiguous stores from California to Iowa and Florida.
I don't think that count is fair, since most of the stores opened were simply re-opens of stores they had before the Haggen debacle. It's almost like they loaned them out, then took them back.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

wnetmacman wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:
I don't think that count is fair, since most of the stores opened were simply re-opens of stores they had before the Haggen debacle. It's almost like they loaned them out, then took them back.
The count is more than fair if you look back at the net store count over the years. 2015 had those 160 stores lost to divestments in the first place, a vast majority of which weren't returned (yet?). Factoring in a *few* new stores, a few closures, and the 70 stores purchased from A&P and converted to ACME, you're still looking at a net loss of close to a hundred stores unless you factor in the stores actually acquired, which would skew those numbers significantly.

Furthermore, that +50 looks really small when compared on the basis to how many net losses were in the last past 10 years. When Albertsons broke up in 2006, LLC took 655 stores and SuperValu took 1,124 (I don't know where this 2000+ number on WP comes from). When Albertsons LLC bought the SuperValu stores back, they only had 877 stores, and Albertsons LLC had 192 stores (190 Albertsons and two Super Saver stores) for a total of 1,069, a far cry from the 1779 of 2006. In just those 7 years, they lost over 700 stores between them. Yeah, a few were opened and Bristol Farms was sold off, but the damage has been enormous any way you slice it.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

I've got another Albertsons store closure to add to the list.

15660 N Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

My father said that store closing banners have been up for the last week or so.

This store shares a shopping center with a Target and it's about 1 mile from a Safeway and across the freeway from a Walmart Supercenter.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

I expect that the Albertsons brand will disappear in AZ in the next few years
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

jamcool wrote:I expect that the Albertsons brand will disappear in AZ in the next few years
Same story in Texas, particularly if HEB makes a move into DFW with their namesake stores. If the DFW area, the Albertsons name is only really strong in Fort Worth these days. There is a grand total of one Albertsons remaining in Collin County (which features some of the fastest growing suburbs in the country: Plano, Frisco, McKinney, Allen, Prosper, Wylie, etc.) and two in Dallas proper. The remaining Albertsons stores on the Dallas side of the Metroplex are generally in areas which are lower end, which HEB would likely win a grocery battle in due to their substantially lower pricing.

In West Texas, all Albertsons stores are branded as "Albertsons Market" and are being run by the United division. Although the Albertsons name is technically used on these stores, that's as far of a connection as they go.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

architect wrote:
jamcool wrote:I expect that the Albertsons brand will disappear in AZ in the next few years
Same story in Texas, particularly if HEB makes a move into DFW with their namesake stores. If the DFW area, the Albertsons name is only really strong in Fort Worth these days. There is a grand total of one Albertsons remaining in Collin County (which features some of the fastest growing suburbs in the country: Plano, Frisco, McKinney, Allen, Prosper, Wylie, etc.) and two in Dallas proper. The remaining Albertsons stores on the Dallas side of the Metroplex are generally in areas which are lower end, which HEB would likely win a grocery battle in due to their substantially lower pricing.

In West Texas, all Albertsons stores are branded as "Albertsons Market" and are being run by the United division. Although the Albertsons name is technically used on these stores, that's as far of a connection as they go.
Well, there's the El Paso Albertsons stores in Southwest, but that's about it. (There are a few Safeway stores in NM but not much, those will probably be converted to ABS later on).