Albertsons and Safeway Openings/Closings 2017

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

Albertsons and Safeway Openings/Closings 2017

Post by pseudo3d »

This thread was designed for the openings and closings of the Albertsons Cos. in 2017. As I've written this list over the year, it did turn out to be not the best for Albertsons, with the Albertsons name itself taking a hit as they begin to consolidate some markets into Safeway markets, and overall about a net dozen stores closing permanently.

There might be still some old Haggen stores out there (at least one, not sure if they're reopening anymore rejected leases). Like the previous list, there is a * if it takes over and converts (closes) an existing functional store. For historical reference, some of the "closing" dates are when they were announced, not necessarily the actual closing date.

Closings:
1/11 - Safeway, 4857 E. Greenway Rd., Scottsdale, AZ (projected)
1/30 - Albertsons, 16750 W. Bell Rd., Surprise, AZ (not closing date, but store closing banners have gone up)
2/8 - Albertsons, 15660 North Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd, Scottsdale, AZ (not closing date, but store closing banners have gone up)
2/10 - Albertsons, 8428 Denton Hwy., Watauga, TX (store closing banners went up in January, not sure when closing date was)
2/17 - ACME, 2200 Mount Holly Road, Burlington, NJ
2/18 - Shaw's, 92 Cluff Crossing, Salem, NH
2/18 - Safeway, 460 S. College Ave., Fort Collins, CO
2/25 - Albertsons, 401 S. 40th Ave., Yakima, WA
2/25 - Albertsons, 12312 N Division St, Spokane, WA
2/25 - Albertsons, 510 E. 37th Ave., Spokane, WA
2/25 - Albertsons, 1320 Lee Blvd, Richland, WA
2/28 - Randalls, 1525 S. Mason Road, Katy, TX
2/28 - Albertsons, 1087 W. Main St., Lewisville, TX
3/20 - Albertsons, 1830 N. 12th St., Grand Junction, CO
3/26 - Safeway, 7451 Mount Vernon Square Center, Hybla Valley, VA
4/22 - Vons, 655 N. Fair Oaks Ave., Pasadena, CA
6/2 - Safeway, 14505 W. Grand Avenue, Surprise, AZ
6/30 - ACME, 295 Ferry St., Newark, NJ
7/31 - Albertsons, 402 S. Range Ave., Denham Springs, LA
7/31 - Albertsons, 3121 E. Texas St., Bossier City, LA
7/31 - Tom Thumb, 1751 River Run #101, Fort Worth, TX
9/9 - Albertsons, 2800 Milton Way, Milton, WA
9/11 - Safeway, 708 N Federal Blvd., Riverton, WY
9/12 - Albertsons, 1655 Southwest Odem Medo Way, Redmond, OR (closed mid-October)
9/13 - Albertsons, 14215 SE Petrovitsky Road, Renton, WA
9/14 - ACME, 114 S. Talbot St., St Michaels, MD (closed October)
9/14 - ACME, 80 New Bridge Rd, Bergenfield, NJ (will close sometime in November)
9/15 - Safeway, 3110 E 1st Ave, Denver, CO (lease terminated--to leave by 2018 but store closing sales began in September)
9/30 - Safeway, 139 N. Washington St., Easton, MD
9/30 - Safeway, 1630 Pace St., Longmont, CO
11/8 - ACME, 907 Oak Tree Road, South Plainfield, NJ

Openings:
1/11 - Safeway, 4747 E. Greenway Rd., Phoenix, AZ (Albertsons)1
1/18 - Albertsons, 1910 N. Campus Ave., Upland, CA (Haggen)
2/18 - Safeway Community Markets, 1200 Irving Street, San Francisco, CA (Andronico's Community Markets)*2
2/27 - Safeway Community Markets, 690 Fremont Ave., Los Altos, CA (Andronico's Community Markets)*
2/27 - Safeway Community Markets, 100 Center Boulevard, San Anselmo, CA (Andronico's Community Markets)*
2/27 - Safeway Community Markets, 1550 Shattuck Avenue, Berkeley, CA (Andronico's Community Markets)*
2/27 - Safeway Community Markets, 1850 Solano Ave, Berkeley, CA (Andronico's Community Markets)*
3/1 - Albertsons, 28090 S. Western Ave., San Pedro, CA (Haggen)
4/5 - Tom Thumb, 2400 W 7th St, Fort Worth, TX
4/26 - Safeway, 585 Siskiyou Blvd, Ashland, OR (Haggen)
4/26 - Albertsons, 7975 Blue Diamond Road, Las Vegas, NV
5/6 - Tom Thumb, 4000 William D. Tate Ave, Grapevine, TX (MSFM/Tom Thumb)
5/9 - Tom Thumb, 3100 Hardin Blvd., McKinney, TX (MSFM/Tom Thumb)
6/21 - Safeway, 580 North Rengstorff Avenue, Mountain View, CA (Fresh & Easy/Albertsons)
6/27 - Jewel-Osco, 102 W. Division3, Chicago, IL
6/28 - Pavilions, 3901 Portola Parkway, Irvine, CA (Haggen/Pavilions)
8/23 - Safeway, 34812 SE Douglas St., Snoqualmie, WA
8/23 - Shaw's, 201 Washington Street, Hudson, MA (Hannaford)
9/8 - ACME, 29 Snyder Avenue, Philadelphia, PA (ShopRite)
10/4 - United Supermarkets, 6313 4th Street, Lubbock, TX

Conversions:
The Albertsons at 1451 W. Eisenhower Blvd. in Loveland and 731 S. Lemay Ave. and 3660 S. Mason St. in Fort Collins all will become Safeways in March, the release said. Additionally, the store at 2512 Broadway, Grand Junction, CO will become a Safeway as well.
An Albertsons in McKinney, TX (6800 W. Virginia Pkwy) has converted to a Tom Thumb.
Two Albertsons stores in Seattle division converted (Yakima and one other), as well as three in Colorado Springs (mid-2017)
The Albertsons in Albuquerque became Albertsons Market in the United division (this isn't listed below)
The two Super Saver stores became Lucky (this isn't listed below either)

1. This is what a clerk told me on the phone, and what appears on their website. It's possible that the Scottsdale store already closed a few days prior to 1/11 so there could be a day or two of moving.
2. Reopened with the Andronico's name still on the storefront.
3. It did replace an older store that was here, but the old store had the address of 1210 N. Clark St., leading me to count it as a "real" Jewel-Osco. It closed the old store in 2015, one of the non-Haggen related closures.

Ratios:
-11 TOTAL
+ 10 Safeway (including Albertsons to Safeway conversions AND Andronico's)
+ 3 Tom Thumb
+ 1 United Supermarkets
+ 1 Pavilions
+ 1 Jewel-Osco
- 1 Randalls
- 1 Vons
- 4 ACME
- 21 Albertsons (including Albertsons to Safeway or Tom Thumb conversions)

Latest Updates:
Edit 0 - Post Created
Edit 1 (1/8/17) - Added Burlington NJ Acme
Edit 2 (1/9/17) - Added the changeover in the Phoenix area
Edit 3 (1/10/17) - Added closures in Seattle division and elaborated on the Phoenix move.
Edit 4 (1/11/17) - Added a fourth Albertsons closure and a Shaw's closure.
Edit 5 (1/13/17) - Added Katy's Randalls closure.
Edit 6 (1/14/17) - Added Lewisville's Albertsons closure and the "Predicted" ratios based on the known upcoming stores.
Edit 7 (1/18/17) - Added the CO Albertsons/Safeway changes to the Ratios (should all balance out in the end), added the Denver Division closure (bye Fort Collins Downtown), added the Andronico's to the "Future" list (they're now doing 30% off bulk, the end is near), updated Predicted Ratios, added "Conversions" chart.
Edit 8 (1/24/17) - Added new Albertsons in Upland, California (which would bring it total to -8 and -7 Albertsons) but added a new Albertsons closure in Colorado (total -9 and Albertsons -8 again) and another conversion (Albertsons -9, Safeway +3). Removed Predicted Ratios because it's annoying to have to adjust every time.
Edit 9 (1/30/17) - Added another Albertsons closure in Surprise, AZ. Removed mention of San Francisco Andronico's since it wouldn't be a store "opening", it's a re-opening if it keeps the Andronico's name (sorry). We'll just look at that when we come to it. Removed mention of Price Chopper buyout (not happening). The McKinney Albertsons-to-Tom Thumb conversion isn't added yet. With another closure, it pushes the ratio down to -10.
Edit 10 (2/8/17) - Added yet another Albertsons closure in SW division. This pushes the total down to -11 and -11 for the Albertsons banner.
Edit 11 (2/10/17) - A second Albertsons is closing in South, changing the total to -12 and Albertsons to -12. This isn't looking good. At this rate, the five acquired Andronico's, all "Planned for 2017" stores, and the rumored University of PA store will have to open this year to make the net gain even zero.
Edit 12 (2/14/17) - The Andronico's addition has been added. So it looks like the Andronico's San Francisco store is becoming a SCM complete with new formatting but it kept the Andronico's name because of zoning requirements. Either way, this counts as a new Safeway opening, and the store count has been adjusted accordingly. Ratio is still a solid -11. Also, the two stores Tom Thumb bought back from Minyard have been added (but not the 10203 East Northwest Highway store, which doesn't have Albertsons stores nearby...grrr...)
Edit 13 (2/18/17) - The Ashland Safeway has an opening date, but it's still not open yet.
Edit 14 (3/7/17) - Added Hybla Valley Safeway to closing but the four former Andronico's have reopened. This puts the ratio to -8 for the total and +7 for Safeway.
Edit 15 (3/14/17) - Added Pasadena Vons to closing. This adds -1 to the Vons ratio and -9 for total.
Edit 16 (4/5/17) - Added San Pedro Albertsons (Haggen reopening that I missed), as well as a new Tom Thumb (Left Bank). I suspect there might be some "silent" Haggen reopenings I missed (there were a few last year). The openings brings the net number of stores this year to -7.
Edit 17 (4/16/17) - Added two new stores to "coming soon", fixed total net stores (-7, not -9). Should they open all stores as planned they should end the year with +2, assuming no other closures or no buyouts of smaller chains.
Edit 18 (4/26/17) - Moved Ashland and LV to opened, bumping ratio to -5. If they follow Strack & Van Til, then that will push the net to positive by the end of the summer.
Edit 19 (5/13/17) - Added new Tom Thumb stores in Dallas (ratio is now -3) but I worry the slightly larger Albertsons originally not divested will end up quietly closing.
Edit 21 (5/31/17) - Added a new ACME to be closing (former Pathmark). There wasn't an Edit 20 (wanted to sync up with the "total edits"), but let's just assume it was all the upcoming S&VT stores. The ACME knocks it down to -4 but the 19 Strack and Van Til conversions will bring it up to +15, a huge increase.
Edit 22 (6/25/17) - Added new Safeway in Mountain View, new Pavilions, and Clark/Division all opening this week or already opened. This brings the total to -1.
Edit 23 (7/14/17) - I can't find that the new Pavilions actually opened, so that goes on the 2017 list. Also, three more Albertsons in CO converted to Safeway. There were two other conversions in Yakima. Also, S&VT is NOT happening, so that gets taken off. Now -2 since Pavilions isn't open yet.
Edit 24 (8/2/17) - Removed Pavilions off of the list (whoops), also added the three closures in the South division. Shaw's in the old Hannaford has been added to the "coming soon" list. The closures knock Albertsons further down to -18 and Tom Thumb goes to +3. The -6 total comes as another Safeway has closed. This leaves a pretty big gap for new stores to be bought or acquired within the rest of the year. Can they do it?
Edit 25 (8/17/17) - Added three entries by Storewanderer, one openings and two closings, pushing the net down to -7, and Safeway to +12. To close the gap, they must open all 7 stores on the "planned for 2017" list as well as open at least one more store, and not close any more stores to have a net positive in stores.
Edit 26 (8/24/17) - Added Milton Albertsons closing, but added Monterey to "coming soon".
Edit 27 (9/5/17) - Bumped to -6 with a new ACME (now -1) and Shaw's (+/- 0, so it's off the mini-list).
Edit 28 (11/2/17) - Some of the September bloodbath closures have been added. The United opened but two Albertsons, two Safeways, and two ACMEs are departing, smacking us down to -11 but the Pavilions in Irvine did quietly reopen in June, so it's -10. Due to Fresh Grocer's refusal to move off the premises and hanging on until a trial next year, 4001 Walnut Street in Philadelphia is off the list. Additionally, Randalls in Georgetown is off the list having been delayed until January. The Union's Tom Thumb in Dallas will not open either before 12/31/17, leaving only the possibility that the former Nob Hill Foods will reopen before year end.
Edit 30 (12/29/17) - End of the year (only updates made will be if I made some egregious error like if a store was added or removed and I didn't hear about it). One more ACME closed, leaving with a net closure of almost a dozen stores (ouch!), if only the Strack & Van Til acquisition went through. On the plus side, there's already Georgetown lined up to open next year, probably Nob Hill, and on the minus side, there will be some stores to close that aren't already overlap stores. A new thread will be created for the 2018 changes. See you then!
Last edited by pseudo3d on December 29th, 2017, 2:26 pm, edited 30 times in total.
pseudo3d

Re: Albertsons and Safeway Openings/Closings 2017

Post by pseudo3d »

So with the ACME closure the other day, it looks like they are doing the "rolling division closures" like last year, with the Seattle division being first on the chopping block. The victims are...

- 37th and Grand in Spokane (Link)
- 12312 Division St., also in Spokane. This store actually flooded today and until I found out that they managed to clean up and reopen, I thought with six inches of water in the store and pouring out the cracks in the back door that they would take the excuse to not reopen. (link)
- 40th Avenue and Tieton Drive in Yakima. This store would leave only one Albertsons in an area with four Safeways. I fully expect to see this lone ABS to be reflagged soon enough. (link)

I wouldn't be TERRIBLY surprised if there was one more "core Haggen" to close next month, especially the one that's practically next door to that Albertsons they converted in 2015.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

pseudo3d wrote:So with the ACME closure the other day, it looks like they are doing the "rolling division closures" like last year, with the Seattle division being first on the chopping block. The victims are...

- 12312 Division St., also in Spokane. This store actually flooded today and until I found out that they managed to clean up and reopen, I thought with six inches of water in the store and pouring out the cracks in the back door that they would take the excuse to not reopen. (link)
37th and Grand looked "far" from other grocers on the initial map view, but it's about 2 miles to an intersection with Safeway and a Rosauer's. I admit I am not very familiar with south Spokane.
The store on N. Division - across the street from Fred Meyer (maybe the "Spokane experiment" is working?) and 2 miles from a Safeway unit (along with Rosauer's, WinCo).
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

SamSpade wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:So with the ACME closure the other day, it looks like they are doing the "rolling division closures" like last year, with the Seattle division being first on the chopping block. The victims are...

37th and Grand looked "far" from other grocers on the initial map view, but it's about 2 miles to an intersection with Safeway and a Rosauer's. I admit I am not very familiar with south Spokane.
The store on N. Division - across the street from Fred Meyer (maybe the "Spokane experiment" is working?) and 2 miles from a Safeway unit (along with Rosauer's, WinCo).
The North Division store probably did well for FM because they did remodel it, while Albertsons was still poking around with LLC decor (as seen through the doors), and of course, having Safeway means that Albertsons no longer has to be quite as scarce with its locations.

I do wonder what the other divisions will look like. Denver took a lot of casualties in the last few years (moreso than any other division), Houston was spared last year but it cannot take much more damage, "South" (Dallas) might be cut a few extraneous stores (as well as SoCal and Southwest), Eastern might see some closures (I can imagine at least one Baltimore store closing), and Shaw's...well if Price Chopper goes through, then there will be some activity going on there.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

There was quite a bit of overlap of Albertsons and Safeway in Spokane (I was surprised they did not have to divest more). It is a pretty crowded market; Rosauers and Yoke's are there, so is WinCo, Fred Meyer is limited, and there are some other formats of smaller independents in the smaller towns. Those independents are part of a buying group called URM Stores, selling Western Family items. I cannot tell if they buy in a group with Unified or with Associated-Utah (most of them use the same register systems as the Associated-Utah Stores use), focus on scratch bakeries and fair prices.

Yakima is also not surprising; I think there were a couple of Albertsons there, both looked like real dogs when I was up there, but that was under Supervalu. Also likely a couple of the Safeways there are performing marginally and this is a way to try and prop those up. Still over-stored there in my opinion.

I expect to see additional Albertsons closed in OR/WA. Supervalu ran that division into the ground like no other. I would probably shelve the name in OR/WA at this point and just go with Safeway. Albertsons may be of use in southern Oregon (maybe around Medford) but not really anywhere else.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote:There was quite a bit of overlap of Albertsons and Safeway in Spokane (I was surprised they did not have to divest more). It is a pretty crowded market; Rosauers and Yoke's are there, so is WinCo, Fred Meyer is limited, and there are some other formats of smaller independents in the smaller towns. Those independents are part of a buying group called URM Stores, selling Western Family items. I cannot tell if they buy in a group with Unified or with Associated-Utah (most of them use the same register systems as the Associated-Utah Stores use), focus on scratch bakeries and fair prices.

Yakima is also not surprising; I think there were a couple of Albertsons there, both looked like real dogs when I was up there, but that was under Supervalu. Also likely a couple of the Safeways there are performing marginally and this is a way to try and prop those up. Still over-stored there in my opinion.

I expect to see additional Albertsons closed in OR/WA. Supervalu ran that division into the ground like no other. I would probably shelve the name in OR/WA at this point and just go with Safeway. Albertsons may be of use in southern Oregon (maybe around Medford) but not really anywhere else.
The Yakima store looks really old. It looks like it even has the "Blue & Gray" decor on the walls! (link)

Given that there has already been at least one former Haggen Albertsons reopened as a Safeway in Washington (Burien), I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the names flipped. The thing I'm worried about is that there's still a discrepancy in the merchandise mix of the two stores, and the conversions often involve a lot of clearance sales of that nature...plus the whole card issue...
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

pseudo3d wrote:Given that there has already been at least one former Haggen Albertsons reopened as a Safeway in Washington (Burien), I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the names flipped. The thing I'm worried about is that there's still a discrepancy in the merchandise mix of the two stores, and the conversions often involve a lot of clearance sales of that nature...plus the whole card issue...
Are the new Florida Safeway conversions using the Club Card? Personally I only scan my Club Card if I have sale items. Up until a couple of years ago you could get substantial savings on frequently purchased items through the Just For You program. Those discounts seem to have evaporated, even more so since the Albertsons buyout.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

mjhale wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:Given that there has already been at least one former Haggen Albertsons reopened as a Safeway in Washington (Burien), I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the names flipped. The thing I'm worried about is that there's still a discrepancy in the merchandise mix of the two stores, and the conversions often involve a lot of clearance sales of that nature...plus the whole card issue...
Are the new Florida Safeway conversions using the Club Card? Personally I only scan my Club Card if I have sale items. Up until a couple of years ago you could get substantial savings on frequently purchased items through the Just For You program. Those discounts seem to have evaporated, even more so since the Albertsons buyout.
Not according to the sales circulars. The Dallas-area ABS (as well as Denver, though I haven't checked) were put on the same program as the other Safeway stores, which did include the club card.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/latest-ne ... 46689.html

Another one gone, Richland, WA Albertsons. This was a very old store. Probably expanded in the mid 90's. Had blue gray decor but may have gotten a cheaper remodel by Supervalu toward the end.

Albertsons in Eastern Washington is sure hit hard so now what about other regions?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

A few more: a closing Shaws: Salem, NH

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/salem- ... c7b92.html

Also Acme closing: Burlington Township, NJ, opened 1997, Mt. Holly Rd.
http://www.burlingtoncountytimes.com/ne ... 2e899.html

Also the third: Acme is supposedly taking over operation of the grocery store on Penn Campus.