Albertsons and Safeway Openings/Closings 2017

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

Re: Albertsons and Safeway Openings/Closings 2017

Post by pseudo3d »

arizonaguy wrote:I've got another store closure for you.

Safeway: 14505 W Grand Ave Surprise, AZ 85374

This store closed on June 2, 2017. The Albertsons across the street was remodeled and is still open.
Weirdly, earlier this year, they closed an Albertsons that was near Safeway, also in Surprise. I would be interested too in hearing the new Albertsons' decor, as it seems those that get the "Color Lifestyle" are bound for Safeway nameplates...
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

Add Denham Springs, Louisiana, to the closing list.

In a heavily remodeled Winn Dixie store, it opened to great fanfare, and was one of the only supermarkets in town that didn't flood in 2016, but that wasn't enough to keep up after Rouses reopened. No date has been announced yet.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

wnetmacman wrote:Add Denham Springs, Louisiana, to the closing list.

In a heavily remodeled Winn Dixie store, it opened to great fanfare, and was one of the only supermarkets in town that didn't flood in 2016, but that wasn't enough to keep up after Rouses reopened. No date has been announced yet.
That is a shame, and it was one of the few stores LLC actually opened. With this store closing, it seems obvious that the Rouses made quick work of the Albertsons run by the incompetent Houston division (makes me worry about Lafayette) but the other thing going at play is that the space where they are doesn't seem especially viable for commercial use. All of the other nearby retail in that part of town has converted to something else (like churches), except for a Tractor Supply Co. just to the east of it.

Remember, it was part of the 2005 Winn-Dixie closures originally, and a lot of those stores were just flat out unviable, so maybe Albertsons is waking up to that fact.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

pseudo3d wrote:That is a shame, and it was one of the few stores LLC actually opened. With this store closing, it seems obvious that the Rouses made quick work of the Albertsons run by the incompetent Houston division (makes me worry about Lafayette) but the other thing going at play is that the space where they are doesn't seem especially viable for commercial use. All of the other nearby retail in that part of town has converted to something else (like churches), except for a Tractor Supply Co. just to the east of it.
Rouses is also crunching Baton Rouge. With their takeover of LeBlanc's, they added 9 stores to the stable that they didn't have before.

Albertsons should have done more in both cities when Walmart started opening Supercenters. They all had a decided downfall after that point. Lafayette only had 5 total stores, now 4. I don't know if any of the remaining stores are in immediate jeopardy, but Broussard is getting squeezed pretty hard by Walmart and Rouses, and it has been pretty dead the last few times I went there.
pseudo3d wrote:Remember, it was part of the 2005 Winn-Dixie closures originally, and a lot of those stores were just flat out unviable, so maybe Albertsons is waking up to that fact.
That is an excellent location with a ton of passing traffic. Florida Blvd comes out of BR with a ton of commuter traffic daily. Someone could make the store work; they just don't know how. WD wasn't in as bad of shape when they closed that store, it was just a low sales location because Walmart had just expanded to the south. Remember, one of the few Delchamps Premier stores outside Mobile was in Denham Springs, and there are tons of folks living nearby.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

Another Albertsons Louisiana closure, this time in Bossier City:

http://m.ksla.com/ksla/db_350562/conten ... d=1uRmEWYZ

With all of the Albertsons closures taking place around the state, could they potentially be looking to pull out of the state completely (or at least the northern portion)? Along the I-20 corridor east of DFW, the only remaining stores will be in Longview and Shreveport (one store each). Which both Kroger and Brookshires outnumbering them in store count, is the long term feasibility of these stores really possible?
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

architect wrote:Another Albertsons Louisiana closure, this time in Bossier City:

http://m.ksla.com/ksla/db_350562/conten ... d=1uRmEWYZ

With all of the Albertsons closures taking place around the state, could they potentially be looking to pull out of the state completely (or at least the northern portion)? Along the I-20 corridor east of DFW, the only remaining stores will be in Longview and Shreveport (one store each). Which both Kroger and Brookshires outnumbering them in store count, is the long term feasibility of these stores really possible?
Bossier isn't a big surprise; more so that it lasted this long. It shared a shopping center with Kmart, which closed last year. Most of Bossier's retail has moved north, with the exception of Pierre Bossier Mall, which was on an opposite corner from this center. Brookshire operates a Super 1 about a mile south, and Kroger and Walmart both operate large stores a mile north on Airline. Essentially, if Albertsons did what they normally do (hint: nothing), that's why this one is going.

I don't know how the Shreveport store will survive this, as it's located off most of the main roads on Southfield Blvd. It is close to Super 1, Walmart and two large Krogers, including one Marketplace, and it competes with the flagship Brookshire store over on Line Avenue. I'd say its days are numbered.

Longview is another interesting story. It's been around almost 40 years in the same location under four nameplates: Skaggs Superstore, Skaggs Alpha Beta, Jewel-Osco, then Albertsons for the last 25 years. Across from the Longview Mall, it doesn't face but Walmart in direct, less than a mile away competition. Longview has really scaled back grocery in the last 30 or so years. I grew up near there. When we moved in, there were 1 A&P, 2 Kroger, 3 Safeway, 5 Brookshire's and a handful of independents. The independents, Safeway and A&P are all long gone. There were 2 Albertsons at one time, now one. 5 Brookshire's went down to 1 plus 3 Super 1 Foods. The lone Kroger Family Center still runs, but a second store closed years ago. Food Lion came and went. There are, however, 3 Walmart Supercenters and a Neighborhood Market to contend with, plus Aldi. I would agree that economy of scale isn't in Albertsons' favor now.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Of course Safeway does not do well in a market like Louisiana. I could have told them that before they ever made this mistake of shifting these stores over to the Safeway programs/system/management.

It is unfortunate to see legacy LLC Stores close which had been "turned around" before under Bob Miller and the LLC Management Team. It is interesting how fast this happened, these stores were switched over to the Safeway programs/systems less than 2 years ago I think? I guess between new competition and switching things to the Safeway ways that it was like a double hit.

The Bossier store is pretty poorly reviewed online, but the other one has pretty good reviews...
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

Cross post with Southwest board: WestBend Tom Thumb in Fort Worth to close in September after less than a year of operation.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local ... 59037.html
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

pseudo3d wrote:
arizonaguy wrote:I've got another store closure for you.

Safeway: 14505 W Grand Ave Surprise, AZ 85374

This store closed on June 2, 2017. The Albertsons across the street was remodeled and is still open.
Weirdly, earlier this year, they closed an Albertsons that was near Safeway, also in Surprise. I would be interested too in hearing the new Albertsons' decor, as it seems those that get the "Color Lifestyle" are bound for Safeway nameplates...
The Albertsons does indeed have the "Colorful Lifestyle" decor. I wish I took photos but the decor looks really good in this store as it's a combination of the "Colorful Lifestyle" along with the pre-merger 1997/1998 Albertsons decor (painted warehouse ceilings in the perimeter with drop ceiling over the center store).

Another Albertsons in Phoenix (8240 W Deer Valley Rd Peoria, AZ 85382) is also getting the "Colorful Lifestyle" decor. This store was a 2000/2001 build (with a former Garden Center) that was in the Jewel "circus" decor.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Opening 08/23/2017:

Snoqualmie, WA (new build, also a new Bartell Drugs opens in the center)

Closing 08/2017 announcement:

Easton, MD (old Tudor style store, there is a much nicer Acme in town)
Longmont, CO (2000 build that received a Lifestyle remodel; another one bites the dust in Denver Division...)