Albertsons and Safeway Openings/Closings 2017

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

Re: Albertsons and Safeway Openings/Closings 2017

Post by pseudo3d »

In regards to Bellaire, despite the limited space, there is a way to actually build out the store from 33k square feet to about 50k square feet without a significant loss in parking or adding another floor. Unfortunately, I doubt that they'll expand Bellaire (but they did expand/are expanding Midtown for storage purposes, so who knows).

Now that Houston is done, I suspect the next announcement will be Eastern, and I think the store closure will be the Rehoboth Beach, DE store...it's less than one mile from an ACME. The ACME was a Super Fresh before late 2015, and while it did get a refresh soon after (with the LLC decor) it's getting a second re-do that will add Starbucks, pizza, sushi, and bulk foods (the Safeway down the street does have a Starbucks but I'm not sure on anything else). The Safeway's not that old (under construction in September 2005, so it must have been opened either very late 2005 or early 2006, and certainly has its original Lifestyle décor) but it's catty-corner to a Giant (looks to have been opened in 1999).
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Albertsons Openings/ 2017

Post by SamSpade »

Albertson's celebrates grand reopening of renovated store
Newly reopened Albertsons (former Haggen) in Las Vegas.
I noticed that all the signs are on the traditional Albertsons / SuperValu systems, not the Safeway ones.
Also, Bob Miller is a district manager now? Or did the TV news crew just get that wrong?
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Albertsons Openings/ 2017

Post by arizonaguy »

SamSpade wrote:Albertson's celebrates grand reopening of renovated store
Newly reopened Albertsons (former Haggen) in Las Vegas.
I noticed that all the signs are on the traditional Albertsons / SuperValu systems, not the Safeway ones.
Also, Bob Miller is a district manager now? Or did the TV news crew just get that wrong?
All of the signs in the Phoenix / Tucson area Albertsons stores are also on the traditional Albertsons / SuperValu systems. It may be a Southwest division thing (as there are still 2 distribution centers for the SW division): Tolleson, AZ for the Albertsons bannered stores and Tempe, AZ for the Safeway / Vons (LV Area) stores.

I believe that there may be two Bob Millers at Albertsons. The CEO is one, and the other is the Las Vegas area district manager.
klkla

Post by klkla »

Bob Miller is a pretty common name. It looks like the district manager and ceo share the same name.

I was in that store about four months ago. It's down the street from the car rental facility at McCarron airport. It wasn't in horrible shape but definitely needed an update. It was very low volume and the WalMart Neighborhood Market across the street seemed to have a lot more customers.

This store was never a Haggen and has continually been an Albertson's since they merged with Lucky's. Not sure why this remodel made the news. Must have been a very slow news day in LV.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I too have been in that Albertsons near the car rental in LAS when I stayed at a hotel near there off Warm Springs. I seem to recall it had real short hours closing at like 10 PM. The store was a morgue when I went into it (which was right after they went to Southwest division from SoCal). It had a lot of awkward empty space and was not very well stocked. The Wal Mart Neighborhood Market across the road had 4 or so registers open and was one of the busier Neighborhood Markets I've seen.

The employee count says it all for this store; not even two dozen full time employees and then a fairly large number of part timers but still under 100 employees.

I am surprised they remodeled this store as I would have thought it would be a candidate for closure based on what I saw (and also the employee count does not show high volume).

I think there is still an active Lucky interior up in Pahrump; I wonder why they don't remodel that. Oh well.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

3 more Colorado Albertsons (Fort Collins and Loveland) rebranding to Safeway.

Safeway in Fort Collins on College closing (non lifestyle store; poor condition; 65 employees, not surprised it is closing).

King Soopers is converting its very aging store nearby on College to a Marketplace (taking a former Kmart space); we will see how long the rebranded Albertsons across the road from that stays in business (that Albertsons was a real dump; dirty and smelly).

http://www.reporterherald.com/business- ... albertsons

The usual satisfied (not) customers commenting on this article: http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/20 ... /96675384/

Looks like the reputation of Safeway/Albertsons in Colorado continues to be klobbered by the King.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Updated list again, now with nine stores on the chopping block and no stores officially opened yet (that weren't replacing others). Wasn't there another Safeway opening to replace an old ABCO store?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

One Albertsons closing in Grand Junction, CO and the other converting to Safeway. Safeway previously closed a store in Grand Junction in 2015, highlighting the ongoing problems this operation is having in Colorado.

http://www.gjsentinel.com/news/articles ... -of-valley

What is interesting about this is the Grand Junction stores are part of the Intermountain Division (not Denver) so basically these are Albertsons in all but name but still being called Safeway.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Gosh, I hope Intermountain doesn't get "infected" too much like the other divisions seem to have done. Anyway, list has been updated with the Southwestern division represented with the store closure in Surprise.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Intermountain was already in pretty rough shape, still coming off the closure/sale of Salt Lake City, scattered stores closed/sold in Southern Idaho, etc. Intermountain has also been a bit of a revolving door of stores; for a while the Denver Albertsons were under them after being shifted from LLC Southwest, then of course those got thrown in with Denver Safeway. The St. George, UT Albertsons were under them but again, not anymore, shifted to LLC Southwest.