Albertsons and Safeway Openings/Closings 2017

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

Re: Albertsons and Safeway Openings/Closings 2017

Post by pseudo3d »

Guess buying back the Haggen stores wasn't such a good idea after all...

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/busi ... 88672.html
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I was in at least 4 Albertsons (former Haggens) around Seattle. I do not believe these stores are doing the business they did previously.

The other thing that mucks it up even more is that some of these stores were owned buildings before. Now they are leased. So where they previously had no lease expense (but would have had property tax, upkeep, etc.), now there is that factor...

And probably the biggest issue here is these Albertsons in Seattle area are not Albertsons anymore. They are Safeway Stores with an Albertsons sign out front and Albertsons wall decor. So while these locations may have supported an Albertsons in the past, just like they did not support Haggen, maybe they also don't support the Safeway with an Albertsons sign out front.

The really sad thing is the reviews on the reopened Milton Albertsons are overwhelmingly very positive. On the Safeway across the street? Especially recently, not so much... https://www.yelp.com/biz/safeway-milton ... =date_desc
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote:I was in at least 4 Albertsons (former Haggens) around Seattle. I do not believe these stores are doing the business they did previously.

The other thing that mucks it up even more is that some of these stores were owned buildings before. Now they are leased. So where they previously had no lease expense (but would have had property tax, upkeep, etc.), now there is that factor...

And probably the biggest issue here is these Albertsons in Seattle area are not Albertsons anymore. They are Safeway Stores with an Albertsons sign out front and Albertsons wall decor. So while these locations may have supported an Albertsons in the past, just like they did not support Haggen, maybe they also don't support the Safeway with an Albertsons sign out front.

The really sad thing is the reviews on the reopened Milton Albertsons are overwhelmingly very positive. On the Safeway across the street? Especially recently, not so much... https://www.yelp.com/biz/safeway-milton ... =date_desc
I don't get the point of operating THREE banners in ONE market. They need to figure out whether to keep the Albertsons or Safeway name and choose only one of the two for the area. There are just too many similarities between those two now. Haggen could work as an upscale name much in the same way QFC coexists with Fred Meyer. But with the Haggen name so tarnished now I am not sure if it is really worth the effort.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Super S wrote:
storewanderer wrote:I was in at least 4 Albertsons (former Haggens) around Seattle. I do not believe these stores are doing the business they did previously.

I don't get the point of operating THREE banners in ONE market. They need to figure out whether to keep the Albertsons or Safeway name and choose only one of the two for the area. There are just too many similarities between those two now. Haggen could work as an upscale name much in the same way QFC coexists with Fred Meyer. But with the Haggen name so tarnished now I am not sure if it is really worth the effort.
There are three banners in Southern California, too. Vons, Pavilions and Albertsons. I don't see any reason why they can't co-exist. Vons & Pavilions had been very similar but that is starting to change with different styled ads, slightly different specials and remodels. Vons and Albertsons still are quite different especially with one that has a club card and one that doesn't and each has had its strengths and weaknesses in certain parts of Southern California.
Super S

Post by Super S »

CalItalian wrote:
Super S wrote:

There are three banners in Southern California, too. Vons, Pavilions and Albertsons. I don't see any reason why they can't co-exist. Vons & Pavilions had been very similar but that is starting to change with different styled ads, slightly different specials and remodels. Vons and Albertsons still are quite different especially with one that has a club card and one that doesn't and each has had its strengths and weaknesses in certain parts of Southern California.
Factor in Safeway in northern CA and they have four banners in one state.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Texas has six banners spread across four divisions (note that includes Southwest for El Paso, not Houston, and three of said banners are United, also not counting the realignment to "Albertsons Market", that would make 7), so it has everyone beat. But really...buying back the Haggen stores was a mistake and it's not going to save jobs if they end up closing. What those divisions need (and I suppose this goes to AZ too) is to actually make them more like Albertsons and less like Safeway, or at least keep the formatting separate.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

The Hannaford-turned-Shaw's is now open. Wonder what it looks like inside. Is it the same Hannaford layout?

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 09825.html

(The list won't be updated until I get news of ACME Snyder Plaza opening, which will be soon)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Riverton, WY Safeway closing. Looks like they couldn't compete with Smiths. Not real surprising.

This is actually an Intermountain Division Store now (was Denver).
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote:Riverton, WY Safeway closing. Looks like they couldn't compete with Smiths. Not real surprising.

This is actually an Intermountain Division Store now (was Denver).
From scoping out the town via Google Maps, the Smith's was on the other side of town, but it doesn't seem to be very big nor particularly economically vibrant. Neither Smith's nor Safeway have a big crowd at least compared to the Walmart Supercenter down the street, which probably also contributed in putting the screws to the Safeway here. The strip mall that Safeway is in has another anchor that now has been converted to civic use--another sign that things were going to end badly.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

pseudo3d wrote:The Hannaford-turned-Shaw's is now open. Wonder what it looks like inside. Is it the same Hannaford layout?

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 09825.html

(The list won't be updated until I get news of ACME Snyder Plaza opening, which will be soon)
Snyder Plaza has opened.

Snyder Plaza Announcement