Grocery chains in your area

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
wrallen99
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Re: Grocery chains in your area

Post by wrallen99 »

In the Austin, TX, area:

HEB is the top competitor (the hometown chain, based in San Antonio, TX)
Walmart is number two
Randall's (owned by Safeway) is number three
There's not much else besides stores that have a single location like Fiesta

Whole Foods is the dominant upscale (it's also based here and has it's flagship store here)

Sprouts Farmers market enter this market last year and seems to be looking at expansion

We have 2 Costco's and some Sam's

Albertson's left the market and sold most of their stores to HEB
Ohio Man
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by Ohio Man »

Ohio Man wrote:
In the Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky/Southeastern Indiana tri-state area we have:

The top four:

Kroger (The King--founded and based in Cincinnati)
Wal Mart Supercenters
Meijer
biggs (regional chain owned by Supervalu)

Other players:

Remke Markets (employee-owned chain in Kentucky--Ohio locations have closed)
Marsh Hometown Markets
IGA
Costco
Sams Club
Supervalu (at least one store under its own name)
Jungle Jim's

Discount chains:

Aldi
Save A Lot

Upscale:

Trader Joe's
Whole Foods
Fresh Market

What a difference 12 months or so make. It's been almost a year since Remke Markets bought 7 of the 11 biggs locations in the Cincinnati area from Supervalu (Supervalu closed the other 4). Although this purchase was discussed at length in another thread, an update here is in order.

Remke appears to be slowly rebranding the biggs locations to Remke Markets. Although all of the Ohio biggs stores to my knowledge still carry that name on the ourside signage, the shooping bags, checkout receipts, store ciculars and some biggs private label brands now read "Remke biggs". What I don't know, however, is if the biggs locations are doing more business. The biggs location I'm most familiar with in the Western Hills area doesn't seem to have any more customers, while the Delhi Township store seems to have far fewer than it previously did. Remke has, to my surprise, lowered some of the prices at biggs, although the oveall prices still aren't anywhere as low as they were when bigss still had the "true minimum price" format. I hope Remke can keep the stores going. Only time will tell...
tesg
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by tesg »

Are they re-branding them 'Remke Markets', or 'Remke Biggs'?

The store I've been to in Florence, KY is actually branded 'Remke Biggs'. They changed the exterior signage to have both logos, and the "Thank you for shopping..." banner inside the store.
Ohio Man
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by Ohio Man »

tesg wrote:Are they re-branding them 'Remke Markets', or 'Remke Biggs'?

The store I've been to in Florence, KY is actually branded 'Remke Biggs'. They changed the exterior signage to have both logos, and the "Thank you for shopping..." banner inside the store.

Not sure--if memory serves, the Florence location was originally a biggs, not a Remke. As far as I know, none of the stores in Kentucky which were originally Remke Markets have been changed to Remke biggs, which makes me theorize that what's going on is a slow conversion to just Remke Markets for all locations. The head honcho of Remke said at the time of purchase that Remke was keeping the biggs name "for now"--he didn't indicate how long that would remain the situation.
bm10k

Post by bm10k »

In the Fargo-Moorhead area

Hornbachers (owned by Supervalu, with 6 locations)
Sun Mart (owned and supplied by Nash-Finch with 4 locations)
3 walmart supercenters
Cash Wise (owned by Twin Cities based Coborns)

In The Twin Cities
Cub Foods (owned by Supervalu)
Rainbow (owned by Roundys)
Lunds and Byerlys (Upscale chains)
Supertarget ( has a big presence)
Walmart (starting to build and expand to supercenters
Kowalskis/festival (smaller chain)
Coborns/cash wise ( mostly in the outer part of the meto area
maynesg
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by maynesg »

Update for Delaware. Acme stil has the same amount of High Volume Stores in the state. Walmart now has 10 Super Centers. Redners is in the process of building two more DE locationsa. Super G has Four.. Farmers Pride(formerly Food City) has one store in Georgetown; Foodlion has added five new locations. Thriftway has left the stae and SavA Lot has added some locations. Super Fresh closed three stores and still has the same amount of Pathmarks in the state.
Shop Rite has opened one store and Safeway has closed one. All others are still stable in the area
KingU8ol0Soopers
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Post by KingU8ol0Soopers »

This basically sums up all of the different grocery stores for Colorado Springs, Colorado. They are listed in order from most locations to least locations.

1. Safeway (10)
2. King Soopers (Kroger) (9)
3. Walmart (Supercenters) (9) (Walmart has also purchased a couple of places to turn into grocery-only stores, but none of them have been built yet)
4. Albertsons (Albertsons, LLC) (4)
5. Whole Foods (2)
6. Costco (2)
7. Sam's Club (2)
8. SuperTarget (2)
9. Save a Lot (1)

That's all I can think of right now. Albertsons used to have a much stronger presence, but after Albertsons, LLC was created, several stores have closed. You can still see a lot of old Albertson's in strip malls around the city today (usually with a closed Long's Drugs in the same one). Although my name does have King Soopers in it, I prefer to do my shopping at Safeway, mostly because it's the most convenient to where I live.
Forum Moderator
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Well it has been a fairly uneventful year in Reno.

Safeway closed another store and that is about all that has happened.

Raleys converted one Reno Store and one Fallon Store to Food Source. Both have been major flops. I expect the Fallon Store to go out of business. The Reno one may make it.

Now 2012 Kroger has gotten very busy. They have started major remodels to the Sparks and Carson City Smiths, both old stores from the 80s that are largely original save for a 1997 wall repaint and moving in of some refrigeration from SoCal. Also the N. Reno Smiths is getting a gas station.
DerangedHermit
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by DerangedHermit »

Update:
DerangedHermit wrote:Long Island:

Big Four:
Stop & Shop
Pathmark
Waldbaums
King Kullen
Stop & Shop has basically held the fort, I believe they've only opened one store on LI in the past year or so, although they've remodeled quite a few. King Kullen, likewise, hasn't really done much.

Pathmark and Waldbaums are freefalling. A&P has shut down so many stores in the past few years, it's hard to keep track. They declared bankruptcy, but are having a hard time against Stop & Shop.

Shoprite has also opened 3 new stores, one of which has done very well and has already contributed to a Waldbaum's closing (Commack). They have plans for a 9th store on Long Island in Selden.
Ohio Man
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by Ohio Man »

Ohio Man wrote:
Ohio Man wrote:
In the Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky/Southeastern Indiana tri-state area we have:

The top four:

Kroger (The King--founded and based in Cincinnati)
Wal Mart Supercenters
Meijer
biggs (regional chain owned by Supervalu)

Other players:

Remke Markets (employee-owned chain in Kentucky--Ohio locations have closed)
Marsh Hometown Markets
IGA
Costco
Sams Club
Supervalu (at least one store under its own name)
Jungle Jim's

Discount chains:

Aldi
Save A Lot

Upscale:

Trader Joe's
Whole Foods
Fresh Market

What a difference 12 months or so make. It's been almost a year since Remke Markets bought 7 of the 11 biggs locations in the Cincinnati area from Supervalu (Supervalu closed the other 4). Although this purchase was discussed at length in another thread, an update here is in order.

Remke appears to be slowly rebranding the biggs locations to Remke Markets. Although all of the Ohio biggs stores to my knowledge still carry that name on the ourside signage, the shooping bags, checkout receipts, store ciculars and some biggs private label brands now read "Remke biggs". What I don't know, however, is if the biggs locations are doing more business. The biggs location I'm most familiar with in the Western Hills area doesn't seem to have any more customers, while the Delhi Township store seems to have far fewer than it previously did. Remke has, to my surprise, lowered some of the prices at biggs, although the oveall prices still aren't anywhere as low as they were when bigss still had the "true minimum price" format. I hope Remke can keep the stores going. Only time will tell...

Update: The Marsh Hometown Markets in the Cincinnati area have been rebranded--again--to MainStreet Markets. This new name also appiles to other (but not all) Marsh locations in Ohio. First the ones around Cincy were Lobills, then Marsh Hometown Markets, and now MainStreet Markets. And that's only since I've been paying attention! I believe the strores
in question might have carried the mainline Marsh banner before they were Lobills. I don't quite see the logic in changing the stores' name every few years but most of the CIncinnati area locations are still in business so I guess they know what they're doing. Maybe. Possibly.

U