Albertsons eliminates 24 hours at 7 Las Vegas locations

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Albertsons eliminates 24 hours at 7 Las Vegas locations

Post by storewanderer »

Ralphs also tried 24 hour operations in Sacramento a couple years before pulling out of the market.

There are still a few 24 hour Food Maxx locations but not in Sacramento. One is in Red Bluff, of all places.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Lucky back in the 90s used to be 24 hours for all of their stores. The Lucky logo in ads and in commercials had a red circle with 24 hours contained in it. The doors on their stores had the teal 24 hours logo. In the mid 90 Lucky, was all about making their stores look the same and have the same 24 hour schedule. That was the era when their stores were all painted pure white with the teal and red letters. It was all about consistency. No matter where you were traveling you knew that every single Lucky would be open for you any time day or night. You would never be turned away, unlike Safeway which had eliminated most 24 hour stores in the mid-90s.

Then Albertsons came along in 1999. Once all of the Lucky stores converted to Albertsons, 24 hour operations were eliminated by Albertsons at virtually every single store in short order. That was probably due to the drastic drop in customers. For years Lucky had commercials about how they were the low price leader and how Albertsons was the highest priced supermarket on the lists. In Northern California, customers were horrified when the Albertsons name was hoisted over all of the Lucky stores. Customers migrated to the Northern California chain Safeway, which seemed like the last trusted locally based supermarket chain. Safeway then expanded their list of 24 hour stores and welcomed customers switching over from Albertsons.

I remember walking almost an hour to the supermarket late one night years ago only to realize that the store was no longer 24 hours. It was at that time that I realized the original Lucky was gone forever. What a awful memory that was.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Alpha8472 wrote:Lucky back in the 90s used to be 24 hours for all of their stores. The Lucky logo in ads and in commercials had a red circle with 24 hours contained in it. The doors on their stores had the teal 24 hours logo. In the mid 90 Lucky, was all about making their stores look the same and have the same 24 hour schedule. That was the era when their stores were all painted pure white with the teal and red letters. It was all about consistency. No matter where you were traveling you knew that every single Lucky would be open for you any time day or night. You would never be turned away, unlike Safeway which had eliminated most 24 hour stores in the mid-90s.

Then Albertsons came along in 1999. Once all of the Lucky stores converted to Albertsons, 24 hour operations were eliminated by Albertsons at virtually every single store in short order. That was probably due to the drastic drop in customers. For years Lucky had commercials about how they were the low price leader and how Albertsons was the highest priced supermarket on the lists. In Northern California, customers were horrified when the Albertsons name was hoisted over all of the Lucky stores. Customers migrated to the Northern California chain Safeway, which seemed like the last trusted locally based supermarket chain. Safeway then expanded their list of 24 hour stores and welcomed customers switching over from Albertsons.

I remember walking almost an hour to the supermarket late one night years ago only to realize that the store was no longer 24 hours. It was at that time that I realized the original Lucky was gone forever. What a awful memory that was.
From what I've heard, Albertsons kept 24H operations at most stores until 2006. I'm guessing that Albertsons Inc. really wanted to hold onto Albertsons NorCal and sacrificed other markets instead, though Albertsons LLC put it out of its misery.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

In Northern California, 24 operations at Albertsons were eliminated within a matter of months after switching the Lucky name to Albertsons. 2002-2006 was the dark time for Albertsons in Northern California. Customers revolted against Albertsons and in turn Albersons closed dozens of stores leaving abandoned supermarkets all over Northern California. It really blighted many shopping centers. For many years, those abandoned stores sat empty and were eyesores.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

On the west coast, there were very few 24 hour Albertsons left by 2006. There were a small number of locations in every region but they did a sweep in 2001-2002 as the company started to struggle and eliminated 24 hour operations except at stores where it actually made sense to stay open due to having traffic.

My experience with Safeway NorCal has been most locations are open 24 hours, except in very small towns, but there are exceptions that do not seem to make much sense. But sometimes even in very small towns they are open. I recall once in the past staying up in Willits, which is a pretty sleepy place along 101, arriving very late on a Sunday night, past Midnight, and the Safeway was actually open 24 hours. I was surprised. Conversely, there is a Safeway in Corning, along I-5, in a fairly well trafficked area all night, that closes at 11 (or used to...). At Lake Tahoe, all of the Safeways are 24 hours except a very small store in Tahoe City where it wouldn't make sense to be 24 hours due to the area having literally no activity by 9 or 10 PM.