Safeway and "re dated" chicken

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Safeway and "re dated" chicken

Post by storewanderer »

http://www.krem.com/news/local/spokane- ... /421528282

I have never been concerned that this sort of thing goes on at Safeway. There have been other stores where I have been very concerned this sort of thing goes on and have seen re-labeled/re-dated items before but this is not something I have ever experienced before with Safeway.

This is very troubling. They really need to do a markdown program like Kroger does for ALL perishables (not just meat/dairy and in select stores deli) where the store has an incentive to sell the stuff at a reduced price vs. throwing it away and taking a total loss.
pseudo3d

Re: Safeway and "re dated" chicken

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote:http://www.krem.com/news/local/spokane- ... /421528282

I have never been concerned that this sort of thing goes on at Safeway. There have been other stores where I have been very concerned this sort of thing goes on and have seen re-labeled/re-dated items before but this is not something I have ever experienced before with Safeway.

This is very troubling. They really need to do a markdown program like Kroger does for ALL perishables (not just meat/dairy and in select stores deli) where the store has an incentive to sell the stuff at a reduced price vs. throwing it away and taking a total loss.
It was in the deli and that stuff is marked in store. First they need to make sure it wasn't a labeling mistake (those labeling makers can make a mistake sometimes) and then find the employee that did it. It is worth investigating, though I believe PR's claim that it was an isolated incident and it's not division-wide shenanigans.