Albertsons: Civil Rights Lawsuit over "EBT Card?" Question

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Albertsons: Civil Rights Lawsuit over "EBT Card?" Question

Post by storewanderer »

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/04/12/ir ... t-safeway/

And why does Albertsons say they asked if the customer was using an EBT Card?

"Harris said she spoke with three supervisors including Ron Foss, a regional manager at Safeway. She said he explained to Harris, like others supervisors had before, that the clerk had done nothing wrong and was simply trying to give her free bags, because those using food stamps don’t have to pay for reusable plastic bags."

Well, we have another fallout of the stupid California Plastic Bag Ban, the one that Albertsons/Safeway spent many many thousands of dollars on supporting.

The California Bag Ban should be overturned and the only law that should be put into place should be one that gives an incentive of a 5-10 cent store credit per bag to people who bring reusable bags to the store.

It is funny, at one particular Dollar General location I visit sometimes, when paying, they ask me every time, "Debit or EBT?" I always say "Credit" and they say "that's the same as Debit." Okay.