New Sears registers?

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
Super S

New Sears registers?

Post by Super S »

I was in my local Sears Hometown store today, and noticed they were using newer registers with touchscreens (which I haven't seen at any Sears related store, this one previously had the IBM setup Sears has used for years), I would assume Toshiba, but did not see the brand. They were also still using the old IBM receipt printers.

I was just curious, especially given the current state of Sears, if these are limited to the Hometown stores only, or if Sears has rolled these out anywhere else. My understanding is that Sears supplies the POS systems for the Hometown stores.
pseudo3d

Re: New Sears registers?

Post by pseudo3d »

I do know at least Sears Hometown stores seem to be trying some new things like the Ashley Furniture store-within-a-stores. As they are corporately separate, they do need to allow Hometown to have more autonomy in what they stock. They need to do what Ace is doing and cozy up to independent supermarkets to operate store-within-a-stores, personally
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Sears Hometown stores and Outlet stores are probably nervous about the recent Kmart credit card breach. As a result of the vulnerabilities at Sears and Kmart, Sears Hometown probably reviewed their security and realized that their registers were vulnerable and needed to be replaced immediately.

Sears Hometown cannot afford to have a credit card breach now or else it would be all over the news.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

The traditional Sears department store I was in today had regular registers they've used for decades. However, Sears does have updated chip card readers. I was "forced" to use my debit network but no PIN or signature. (I declined cash back)

Based on the person I was with, I found better basic merchandise at Sears (Lands End seems to be on blowout/clearance) than we did at JCPenney. Surprisingly, register experience was as good or better. Faster.

Guess not all Sears stores are lemons!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It wouldn't take much to be better than JC Penney.

Sears has some good stores left. The one in Citrus Heights, CA Sunrise Mall is very good, well stocked, well staffed, and seems to do a decent business. A real contrast to the Sears here in Reno that is empty, poorly staffed, super hot inside, despite being in great physical shape.
AppleMan

Post by AppleMan »

They are NEC registers. Sears Hometown has been undergoing a IT transformation for a little bit now which will allow them to lessen their dependence on SHC. The full line and hometown stores still use the same base Linux OS but they have differences in gui. Sears Hometown will be switching to a different OS in the very near future.

Btw the ibm printers were swapped out for new printers a bit ago after they figured out how to get drivers to work with the system correctly.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

AppleMan wrote: August 5th, 2018, 8:05 pm They are NEC registers. Sears Hometown has been undergoing a IT transformation for a little bit now which will allow them to lessen their dependence on SHC. The full line and hometown stores still use the same base Linux OS but they have differences in gui. Sears Hometown will be switching to a different OS in the very near future.

Btw the ibm printers were swapped out for new printers a bit ago after they figured out how to get drivers to work with the system correctly.
Keep in mind that even though they claim that Hometown is separate from SHC, they still have to depend on the mothership for pretty much everything. So If Hometown is doing it, SHC will eventually, providing they don't go out of business first.

I didn't know NEC was still in the POS business. IBM isn't; if those registers break, they replace with used parts. This is common throughout the POS industry, because large companies know it's a massive expense to update the whole system at once. I have been doing POS work for a while as well as normal IT work. It's amazing the hardware they are still running compared to the desktop machines of today.
Super S

Post by Super S »

wnetmacman wrote: August 6th, 2018, 9:25 am
AppleMan wrote: August 5th, 2018, 8:05 pm They are NEC registers. Sears Hometown has been undergoing a IT transformation for a little bit now which will allow them to lessen their dependence on SHC. The full line and hometown stores still use the same base Linux OS but they have differences in gui. Sears Hometown will be switching to a different OS in the very near future.

Keep in mind that even though they claim that Hometown is separate from SHC, they still have to depend on the mothership for pretty much everything. So If Hometown is doing it, SHC will eventually, providing they don't go out of business first.

I didn't know NEC was still in the POS business. IBM isn't; if those registers break, they replace with used parts. This is common throughout the POS industry, because large companies know it's a massive expense to update the whole system at once. I have been doing POS work for a while as well as normal IT work. It's amazing the hardware they are still running compared to the desktop machines of today.
I mentioned Toshiba earlier because they pretty much took over this part of the business from IBM. I have already seen a few instances of Toshiba brand printers which look identical to recent IBM units in use on older IBM registers.
AppleMan

Post by AppleMan »

They don’t rely on SHC for much of anything anymore.

The contract they have replaces the hole pos unit, excluding peripherals, if there is catastrophic hardware failure.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I recently saw a new install of NEC POS somewhere. It may have been 7-Eleven.

IBM has been interesting. I still see new IBM equipment being installed, or combinations of IBM and Toshiba equipment. For instance a recently opened Harbor Freight Tools has IBM customer display screens, but the cashier screens are Toshiba.