Signature Select brand

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Signature Select brand

Post by storewanderer »

I too have not seen the new label on many items. In NorCal, they have the breakfast sandwiches, they have bagged candy, they have the foil/paper. The stores I am going to are medium volume overall with sales skewing heavily toward liquor and perishable, so center store is pretty low volume.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote: November 18th, 2017, 4:54 pm Today I found Signature Select on Aluminum Foil and Parchment Paper. The shelf was mixed with the Signature Select items on top and some Signature Home items down lower.

Looks like Signature Select is simply becoming their standard private label. I was a little confused what was going on before, but seeing it on foil and paper seems to pretty much resolve my conclusion.
Priority is on its way out in pet (I only spotted it on treats, food was already Signature), Eating Right is being reformatted in frozen to Signaure Select with a healthier choice label notation, Open Nature and O Organics seem to be staying at stores here. Open Nature had a new look/logo on some turkeys here but I haven’t seen that elsewhere yet.

http://www.safeway.com/ShopStores/Brand ... rands.page
Clicked through that page and here is where I landed... new Open Nature and Signature examples: http://plan.safeway.com/MarketLanding?g ... SWY_OBAO17
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: November 18th, 2017, 4:54 pm Today I found Signature Select on Aluminum Foil and Parchment Paper. The shelf was mixed with the Signature Select items on top and some Signature Home items down lower.

Looks like Signature Select is simply becoming their standard private label. I was a little confused what was going on before, but seeing it on foil and paper seems to pretty much resolve my conclusion.
Enh, "Signature Select" is a bit more distinctive than just "Signature" to their credit, but it is a disappointment that they had to maul one of the "nicer" brands that Safeway once had (not to mention the big "Signature" push in early 2016). Perhaps they can make a new "more upscale" brand to functionally replace it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The Open Nature redesign is on some liquid soaps in NorCal. Liquid soap? Well, Kroger has put Simple Truth onto paper products and dish soap and detergent so I guess okay. The new packages have a white background and the new Open Nature logo is a green circle.

Looks like a copy of Simple Truth as far as the basic color/packaging goes, but if you look at the logos and fonts, etc. then the Open Nature looks much different.
High Plains Traveler
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by High Plains Traveler »

I've noticed this brand replacing Signature Kitchens on canned vegetables at Safeway in Colorado. The UPC on the Signature Select brand is different by a few digits from the UPC on the old Signature Kitchens brand.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

NorCal recently offered some 2pack Signature Select Mini Deep Dish Pizzas or 2pack Signature Select French Bread Pizzas for the low price of 99 cents (regularly 3.00). These items all had January 2018 expiration dates so they are evidently trying to blow them out.

I assumed (dumb) that these "Signature Select" pizzas were the same general ingredients as the large size pizzas that carry the "Signature Select" name which are excellent frozen pizzas with a tasty sauce, good tasting cheese, good toppings, and a neutral crust.

Wrong. These 99 cent "Signature Select" pizzas had a sauce that did not taste the same, little cheese, bits of pepperoni instead of actual slices, and a crust that cooked up rather hard (tried in the convection oven and microwave both) and tasted off, too salty or something. Pretty disappointing.

This is the problem when the company decides to take what was the "premium" private label, and put it onto standard old products. Had I bought these 99cent frozen pizzas in the "Signature Kitchen" brand, my expectations would not have been the same, and I probably would not have been disappointed.

And now I question if the full size "Signature Select" frozen pizzas are the same high quality ones that I have liked for years, or something different. Or that "Signature Select" Southwest Salsa that is the best jar salsa on the market...
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

http://acmestyleblog.blogspot.com/2018/ ... ified.html

Acme Style seems pretty positive about it, but the problem I still see is that with the downscaling of Signature Select, that leaves no "higher-end" brand anymore (it might be time to pull something out from the archives, like reviving "J.A.'s Kitchen" as a brand name). I do disagree that Albertsons Cos. has "too many brands", either. It's certainly better than just using a small number of brand names for everything (looking at you, SEG).
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

So I could have sworn I posted about this earlier, but the post must have gotten deleted for some reason.

This past weekend, I was at the 75/Northwest Highway Tom Thumb in Dallas and noticed quite a few more Signature Select products being stocked. The most noticeable were canned goods, where many products were being stocked with both the new and old label. Although I think that the branding is somewhat confusing, I do at least think that the Signature Select logo looks much more reasonable here than on some other products I have seen. In a way, these labels actually look like Kroger's canned vegetable redesign about a year ago. And yes, these were being sold for 89 cents each on sale, while both Kroger and Central Market (HEB) have their equivalent products selling for around 65 cents at an everyday price...

pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

architect wrote: January 18th, 2018, 5:07 pm So I could have sworn I posted about this earlier, but the post must have gotten deleted for some reason.

This past weekend, I was at the 75/Northwest Highway Tom Thumb in Dallas and noticed quite a few more Signature Select products being stocked. The most noticeable were canned goods, where many products were being stocked with both the new and old label. Although I think that the branding is somewhat confusing, I do at least think that the Signature Select logo looks much more reasonable here than on some other products I have seen. In a way, these labels actually look like Kroger's canned vegetable redesign about a year ago. And yes, these were being sold for 89 cents each on sale, while both Kroger and Central Market (HEB) have their equivalent products selling for around 65 cents at an everyday price...

No, you posted it.

http://www.retailwatchers.com/viewtopic ... 514#p15514
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

architect wrote: January 18th, 2018, 5:07 pm . . . I do at least think that the Signature Select logo looks much more reasonable here than on some other products I have seen. In a way, these labels actually look like Kroger's canned vegetable redesign about a year ago. And yes, these were being sold for 89 cents each on sale, while both Kroger and Central Market (HEB) have their equivalent products selling for around 65 cents at an everyday price...
Hmm, where have I heard those prices before?
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1702#p15544