Signature Select brand

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Signature Select brand

Post by storewanderer »

I noticed at Albertsons they have now started to offer bagged peg sugar fruit flavor candies 2/3.00 type (many of these are product of Mexico, not unlike a lot of other sugary fruit flavored candies of national brands) under the Signature Select brand. This candy was previously branded as Signature, before that Essential Everyday, before that Flavorite for a brief time (one of the only times I ever saw Flavorite items in any Albertsons locations).

I am concerned Albertsons does not have a clear understanding that this was intended to be a "premium quality" brand. This reminds me of their supplier change on the "Signature Select" preserves which were previously manufactured by a Safeway plant, now made by a third party, and simply not as good as before in texture or flavor, not really noticably better than the standard issue "Signature" preserves. To add insult, this whole changeover has resulted in price increases on the "Signature Select" preserves and little to no promotion anymore. I hope they don't decide to mess with the Signature Select Southwest Salsa, so far all they have done with that is eliminate the small size jar and increase the price almost 20% on the larger jar.

Over at Kroger they have this same candy, under the standard Kroger label.

Kroger candy items in the Private Selection brand include "gourmet jelly beans" (look like Jelly Belly), and imported chocolate bars from I believe Switzerland which have had some great flavors and were of better than standard issue candy bar quality in the past, but currently are not my kind of flavors. I think these items qualify as "premium quality." I am just not sure commodity sugar candy qualifies as "premium quality."

So I wonder, what is the point of putting the "Signature Select" on this candy? It is the same price as it was when it was standard Signature, and the same exact product...
pseudo3d

Re: Signature Select brand

Post by pseudo3d »

The whole Signature line was a disaster from day one when they just rebadged Safeway products, and they're not particularly well-priced or have unique features. They need to take a good, long look at their "Own Brand" products and start developing something new, like maybe actually with a store identity, even if it IS Albertsons.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

storewanderer wrote:I am concerned Albertsons does not have a clear understanding that this was intended to be a "premium quality" brand. This reminds me of their supplier change on the "Signature Select" preserves which were previously manufactured by a Safeway plant, now made by a third party, and simply not as good as before in texture or flavor, not really noticably better than the standard issue "Signature" preserves. To add insult, this whole changeover has resulted in price increases on the "Signature Select" preserves and little to no promotion anymore. I hope they don't decide to mess with the Signature Select Southwest Salsa, so far all they have done with that is eliminate the small size jar and increase the price almost 20% on the larger jar.

Over at Kroger they have this same candy, under the standard Kroger label.

Kroger candy items in the Private Selection brand include "gourmet jelly beans" (look like Jelly Belly), and imported chocolate bars from I believe Switzerland which have had some great flavors and were of better than standard issue candy bar quality in the past, but currently are not my kind of flavors. I think these items qualify as "premium quality." I am just not sure commodity sugar candy qualifies as "premium quality."

So I wonder, what is the point of putting the "Signature Select" on this candy? It is the same price as it was when it was standard Signature, and the same exact product...
Just yesterday, I noticed a new product line of frozen breakfast sandwiches at a local Tom Thumb also under the Signature Select banner. These were a new product which was actually priced fairly competitively. However, as this is a product which is a defacto item at most fast food restaurants, it seems like this should be branded under the standard Signature branding, rather than Signature Select. By watering down the product lineup with everyday products such as this, Signature Select no longer represents products which are unique and of premium quality. It also appears that the Signature Select branding has been slightly redesigned, definitely cheapening it in the process.

Photo: Image
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Yes, the candy also has that new "Signature Select" tag style logo on it. And the packages are very colorful.

I like the bright colors and packaging. Safeway's private label programs had some drab and overly dark brown coloring (really, just I guess Open Nature) which it appears they are maybe trying to address based on this. But I don't think the Black coloring on the previous Signature Select was a problem. My problem was the brown-heavy Open Nature line.

However, this new Signature Select packaging does not look in any way, shape, or form upscale. Those could be great breakfast sandwiches at the price point of 4 for $3.99 and truly be premium quality, but based on the packaging and price point I would not hold out much hope... plus they appear to use commodity type ingredients. In a premium quality frozen breakfast sandwich, I would expect better ingredients (is this even Cheddar cheese or is it plain American?), perhaps some sort of better sounding sausage, nice wording like "thick cut bacon," wording like "all butter croissant" etc.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I see now Signature Select is being used on the previous "Signature Kitchens" English Muffins and some breads too.

Looks like Signature Select is indeed being turned into just a commodity quality private label brand.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

architect wrote: July 23rd, 2017, 8:06 amJust yesterday, I noticed a new product line of frozen breakfast sandwiches at a local Tom Thumb also under the Signature Select banner. These were a new product which was actually priced fairly competitively. However, as this is a product which is a defacto item at most fast food restaurants, it seems like this should be branded under the standard Signature branding, rather than Signature Select. By watering down the product lineup with everyday products such as this, Signature Select no longer represents products which are unique and of premium quality. It also appears that the Signature Select branding has been slightly redesigned, definitely cheapening it in the process.

Photo: Image
We hadn't seen the "price / gift tag" Signature branding up here in Northwest, but upon a weekend shopping trip through an Albertsons (it's been a while, they are kind of spread out here), I started seeing this same kind of packaging on items in the store. This week they were also featured in the advertisements for both Safeway and Albertsons, which still print separate ads here except once a month when the $10 off $50 and a few other Just4U offers are added to the Redplum mailer exterior.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: July 30th, 2017, 11:43 am I see now Signature Select is being used on the previous "Signature Kitchens" English Muffins and some breads too.

Looks like Signature Select is indeed being turned into just a commodity quality private label brand.
In SoCal, the Signature Kitchens English Muffins were re-branded from Open Nature, so it doesn't surprise me that it is now Signature Select.

I am not a fan of the new Signature Select labeling. I saw it on Italian seasoned tomato paste (which, in hindsight, I wish I bought) and at first thought it was a new Signature Kitchens label.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

That Italian Seasoned Tomato Paste is over at Kroger (Smiths) now in standard Kroger brand. Same retail price as the plain Kroger Tomato Paste at I believe .59. I find it funny Smiths has this "Italian Seasoned Tomato Paste" because they have no seasoned tomato sauces at all in any brand, not even the two flavored Hunts versions (roasted garlic, or basil/garlic/oregano). Kind of makes the Smiths canned tomato area pretty much a no go for me.

That Italian Seasoned Tomato Paste is also over at Raleys also in standard Raleys brand, again same retail price as the plain Raleys Tomato Paste which I believe is about .78. Raleys also has Italian Seasoned Tomato Sauce in private label.

These are basically the formulation that most private label tomato sauce/paste used to carry but in recent years they formulated out some of the herbs that were previously included to lower costs.

Albertsons seems to be putting "standard" items under the "Signature Select" label. So much for "Premium Quality."
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Today I found Signature Select on Aluminum Foil and Parchment Paper. The shelf was mixed with the Signature Select items on top and some Signature Home items down lower.

Looks like Signature Select is simply becoming their standard private label. I was a little confused what was going on before, but seeing it on foil and paper seems to pretty much resolve my conclusion.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

storewanderer wrote: November 18th, 2017, 4:54 pm Today I found Signature Select on Aluminum Foil and Parchment Paper. The shelf was mixed with the Signature Select items on top and some Signature Home items down lower.

Looks like Signature Select is simply becoming their standard private label. I was a little confused what was going on before, but seeing it on foil and paper seems to pretty much resolve my conclusion.
Funnily enough, after finding the initial breakfast sandwiches months ago which started off this thread, I have yet to see any other products with this new Signature Select branding in the Texas stores. However, they may just be depleting old warehouse stock, with the label making more of an appearance in the coming months. Most Albertsons stores around here still had some Essential Everyday product lingering around until 6 months or so ago, easily two years after the integration with Safeway. Having too many low volume stores scattered around doesn't help either.