Interest in Texas grocery blog

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Interest in Texas grocery blog

Post by architect »

Fellow contributors,

Over the past several years, I have built up a library on photos and history on grocers around the state and am considering starting a blog to catalog this information (some of which has been previously posted here). If such a blog was to be started, is this something that would be of interest to our viewers? I am thinking something along the lines of the Albertsons Florida Blog or Acme Style. If so, what content would you be most interested in? Current grocers/stores, historic grocers/stores or a mix? Posts will likely center around DFW, but I have posts and information from around the state so the content will be somewhat varied, much like Pseuco3D's Safeway and Albertsons in Texas prior to its hiatus.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Interest in Texas grocery blog

Post by rwsandiego »

Although I have no connection to Texas, I'd be very interested in reading your blog. The format used by Acme Style and Albertsons Florida Blog is great - a post about a store and related pictures. Becuase I did not have the means to travel when ASC expanded Jewel-Osco in Texas I'd be particularly interested in any photos and/or commentary you might have about them. Additionally, it would be nice to read about some of the heritage chains that got swallowed up and/or put out of business as well as how Safebertoger took over the state.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

architect wrote: December 19th, 2017, 7:07 pm Fellow contributors,

Over the past several years, I have built up a library on photos and history on grocers around the state and am considering starting a blog to catalog this information (some of which has been previously posted here). If such a blog was to be started, is this something that would be of interest to our viewers? I am thinking something along the lines of the Albertsons Florida Blog or Acme Style. If so, what content would you be most interested in? Current grocers/stores, historic grocers/stores or a mix? Posts will likely center around DFW, but I have posts and information from around the state so the content will be somewhat varied, much like Pseuco3D's Safeway and Albertsons in Texas prior to its hiatus.
I had to end it because I basically ran out of content. Basically what happened was that I had structured the blog with what I would be doing in a few years (instead of being unable to work when things changed) but then I realized that things didn't go the way I had planned and I basically ran out of content. I think I have photos of the Bellaire Randalls, as well as a newspaper article when it opened (as a Weingarten).
rwsandiego wrote: December 19th, 2017, 7:21 pm Although I have no connection to Texas, I'd be very interested in reading your blog. The format used by Acme Style and Albertsons Florida Blog is great - a post about a store and related pictures. Becuase I did not have the means to travel when ASC expanded Jewel-Osco in Texas I'd be particularly interested in any photos and/or commentary you might have about them. Additionally, it would be nice to read about some of the heritage chains that got swallowed up and/or put out of business as well as how Safebertoger took over the state.
Unfortunately, Jewel-Osco in Texas didn't last more than a year and no photos exist of interiors (they were all former Skaggs Alpha Beta sites or Skaggs Albertsons, and they were sold to Albertsons). H-E-B is the real kingpin of the state even if they don't have many stores in the Dallas area. It is documented that they did basically "cheat" in San Antonio because someone in Kroger was leaking store sales to them.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Wonderful idea-would love to see A+P stuff if you have it and what some of those sites look like today.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Definitely an interest. Blogs are a great way to organize photos.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: December 20th, 2017, 10:14 am Wonderful idea-would love to see A+P stuff if you have it and what some of those sites look like today.
A&P left Texas entirely in the early to mid 1970s, and hadn't been a major player in years by that point. The stores either don't exist anymore or thoroughly remodeled (which again is pretty pointless since A&P didn't tend to have defining features that could be seen even through the back sides). Marina Safeways are hard enough to find in Texas, existing ones are even harder, and I don't think any Centennials exist in Texas.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

pseudo3d wrote: December 20th, 2017, 8:46 pm A&P left Texas entirely in the early to mid 1970s, and hadn't been a major player in years by that point. The stores either don't exist anymore or thoroughly remodeled (which again is pretty pointless since A&P didn't tend to have defining features that could be seen even through the back sides). Marina Safeways are hard enough to find in Texas, existing ones are even harder, and I don't think any Centennials exist in Texas.
There are actually a small handful of Texas Centennial out there. I know of one for sure in Paris across the street from Kroger. A&P left Texas in 1975 using a really slow method of closing a few stores a week for about 90 days, keeping the other fully stocked until their last week, then blowing it all out.