Albertsons/Safeway 2018 & 2019: Openings and Closings

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Albertsons/Safeway 2018: Openings and Closings

Post by rwsandiego »

Super S wrote: April 15th, 2018, 1:58 pm
rwsandiego wrote: April 15th, 2018, 11:24 am
Super S wrote: April 15th, 2018, 10:40 am

Source please?

I have a hard time believing this one. Safeway was originally in the space divided between Baxter Auto Parts and Walgreens, and moved across the road to the present location which was originally built as Food World, which I think was owned by Zupan's and was supposed to be their attempt at a discount grocer. Seems they opened one other Food World store at the same time, possibly in Roseburg, Oregon, but am not 100% sure where. I don't think the store even made it two years before it closed. Safeway jumped on it as it was a newer building.Also, there is no other Safeway/Albertsons really close by except for the stores at 112th Avenue or 162nd Ave & 4th Plain. The closest Albertsons to this location, at 164th and McGillvray closed several years back. This is a high traffic area...Mill Plain is one of Vancouver's busiest streets and an area with a lot of growth...not sure if Safeway would want to abandon it especially with no other stores of theirs close by. But there is a WinCo just down the road. Worth noting is that there is a huge empty space which is a former airport across Mill Plain which could potentially be a site for a new store. Who knows what's going on.
Googling the address yielded two listings on LoopNet, one that states the building is off-market and another, more recently updated listing, stating it is on the market and available 1/1/2019. Looks like it will be leased with fixtures in place.
Well, that's definitely the Safeway. There are two major errors in that recent listing though. First, the store has been updated to Lifestyle signage and has had some other remodeling to the front, including a second set of doors, in addition to now also having a gas station. Second, the year built is not correct. It says 1986, but I know for sure this building opened about 1-2 years after I moved to Vancouver in 1994 and was a new build. I think it should say 1996. (The shopping center just to the west, where Safeway used to be, may have been built in 1986, however)

Also interesting is that the even newer standalone JCPenney at 192nd & Mill Plain, which is also still open, is also listed below that....

But now that Albertsons is involved, they do tend to give up on stores rather easily in Vancouver... 164th & Mcgillvray, 4th Plain, and Orchards (which was open about 10 years) which was replaced by Padden Parkway (which replaced the Orchards location and also was open about 10 years) Salmon Creek still has both an Albertsons and Safeway about a mile apart but both remain open for now.
The listing that states the store is off-market lists the store as having been built in 1994. Someone mentioned Safeway took over from another grocer, so perhaps 1986 is when the building was built. It is surprising that they displayed an outdated picture.
Super S

Post by Super S »

rwsandiego wrote: April 15th, 2018, 7:46 pm
rwsandiego wrote: April 15th, 2018, 11:24 am
Googling the address yielded two listings on LoopNet, one that states the building is off-market and another, more recently updated listing, stating it is on the market and available 1/1/2019. Looks like it will be leased with fixtures in place.
Well, that's definitely the Safeway. There are two major errors in that recent listing though. First, the store has been updated to Lifestyle signage and has had some other remodeling to the front, including a second set of doors, in addition to now also having a gas station. Second, the year built is not correct. It says 1986, but I know for sure this building opened about 1-2 years after I moved to Vancouver in 1994 and was a new build. I think it should say 1996. (The shopping center just to the west, where Safeway used to be, may have been built in 1986, however)

Also interesting is that the even newer standalone JCPenney at 192nd & Mill Plain, which is also still open, is also listed below that....

But now that Albertsons is involved, they do tend to give up on stores rather easily in Vancouver... 164th & Mcgillvray, 4th Plain, and Orchards (which was open about 10 years) which was replaced by Padden Parkway (which replaced the Orchards location and also was open about 10 years) Salmon Creek still has both an Albertsons and Safeway about a mile apart but both remain open for now.
The listing that states the store is off-market lists the store as having been built in 1994. Someone mentioned Safeway took over from another grocer, so perhaps 1986 is when the building was built. It is surprising that they displayed an outdated picture.
A quick Google search found an article from 1996 that mentions the store. It looks like 1994 is correct. I remember seeing it under construction shortly after moving to Vancouver that year. Ironically the shopping center to the west has a Chuck's Produce store in the former G.I. Joe's space at the other end.

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland/st ... tory5.html
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Super S wrote: April 15th, 2018, 10:09 pm
rwsandiego wrote: April 15th, 2018, 7:46 pm

A quick Google search found an article from 1996 that mentions the store. It looks like 1994 is correct. I remember seeing it under construction shortly after moving to Vancouver that year. Ironically the shopping center to the west has a Chuck's Produce store in the former G.I. Joe's space at the other end.

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland/st ... tory5.html
This certainly would not be the first time a real estate listing was wrong.

BTW: I mis-read your first post about the date. I thought you said the store became a Safeway shortly after you moved, not that the building was being built at that time. My apologies. :oops:
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bryans Road, MD 5/26 (store has fuel too).
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Updated to Bryans Road closure.
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

pseudo3d wrote: April 21st, 2018, 4:12 pm Updated to Bryans Road closure.
It looks like the only other grocery store down towards Indian Head is a Food Lion on the other corner from where the closing Safeway is located. I'm curious what did in the Safeway unless it was just pure economics. Perhaps Albertsons is going to close outlying stores to focus on the immediate DC Area. Also I'm guessing there is a commissary on the military base in Indian Head. Maybe the commissary gets the bulk of the business if there is a high military population in the area.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

3 more Acmes are scheduled to close: Dover, DE; King of Prussia, PA; and Lansdale, PA.

Source: https://www.delawareonline.com/story/ne ... 568523002/
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Announced closure:
Safeway, "Jantzen Beach" (Hayden Island), Portland, OR
Safeway to close Jantzen Beach store

There is a decent pFresh department in the Target on the Island. There is currently no way off the island except I-5 so this will be a learning curve for the residents.

Nearby at Delta Park, there is a smaller Walmart supercenter as well as Fred Meyer a few miles either way across the Columbia in north Portland or in Vancouver, Wash.
Super S

Post by Super S »

SamSpade wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 11:32 am Announced closure:
Safeway, "Jantzen Beach" (Hayden Island), Portland, OR
Safeway to close Jantzen Beach store

There is a decent pFresh department in the Target on the Island. There is currently no way off the island except I-5 so this will be a learning curve for the residents.

Nearby at Delta Park, there is a smaller Walmart supercenter as well as Fred Meyer a few miles either way across the Columbia in north Portland or in Vancouver, Wash.
I have been curious what Safeway was going to do here. This store, which opened as a "Safeway Marketplace" was a higher end store when it opened, but I think in more recent years struggled to gain any customers outside of the immediate Hayden Island area. Among other things, they used to make fresh squeezed orange juice on site, but stopped doing that after a few years. This store never did get a Lifestyle remodel that I know of and still has old signage.
The fact that the back of the store is against the freeway could be a factor as there are ongoing discussions about a replacement Interstate 5 Columbia River Bridge. This is an area that sees gridlock on the freeway on a daily basis and I think people heading home to Vancouver shop at their local stores instead of getting off the freeway and spending a long time just to get back on the freeway.

That Walmart is SMALL. Smaller than many conventional Walmarts. The Target (which replaced the old 2 story store which was a former Montgomery Ward) is a decent size store.

PayLess Drug opened a new store near the Safeway, moving from inside Jantzen Beach shortly before the wing PayLess was in was demolished in the 1990s remodel. It did become a Rite Aid but Rite Aid did not keep this one open long. Zupan's opened in that building but also did not last long.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Super S wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 1:54 pm ...This store never did get a Lifestyle remodel that I know of and still has old signage. ...
Based on the pictures provided in the Google Maps listing, it has Lifestyle 1.0, despite never having changed its sign.

Maybe the exterior sign folks are stuck in traffic? :)