Kohl's considers adding grocery departments to stores

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Kohl's considers adding grocery departments to stores

Post by architect »

rwsandiego wrote: March 1st, 2018, 10:17 pm The locations acquired from Mervyn's are smaller than the ones Kohl's built previously. I'm guessing they have figured out that they can turn a profit with a combination of smaller stores and a robust online store. That allows them to downsize some of their larger locations and monetize the extra space. They are piloting with ten stores, which is a drop in the bucket. I can see Aldi being successful in some locations. If that's the case, perhaps they could expand their offering to Trader Joe's or Lidl or even to a drugstore (hey, Ritebertsway).
this strategy is also great for Kohl's in that it puts a driver of frequent traffic immediately adjacent to their stores, potentially increasing spur of the moment visits.
lola42
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Kohl's considers adding grocery departments to stores

Post by lola42 »

What exactly is Kohl’s piloting? Aren’t they simply subleasing part of a big store to Aldi? Could be Aldi, could be a gym, bottom line is their store is too big and they need to chop off part to lower the operating cost, right? There won’t be Kohl’s employees working in the Aldi grocery part, I assume.