Kroger Deli Hot Food Programs

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Kroger Deli Hot Food Programs

Post by storewanderer » January 18th, 2018, 11:00 pm

Smiths just added some new Deli Hot Foods programs. They cut down the Boar's Head and the prepared salad case by about 40% in order to add in a giant sized hot food counter.

One new offer is a hot mexican "burrito or bowls" counter. Price is $7.00.

The other new offer is a BBQ counter. The BBQ they have to cook on looks about the size of a kitchen stove. They offer pulled pork, brisket, pork ribs, and hot links. They sell side items also including beans, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, and a couple other things. The BBQ price is $6.99 for a sandwich and one side or $7.99 for a plate with 1 meat and 2 sides, or $12.99 for a plate with 2 meats and 2 sides. The ribs are I want to say 5.99 for a half rack and 10.99 for full; the ribs look similar but maybe a little larger than the ribs they had before that were roasted/prepackaged/warmed up.

Then there is still the regular fried/roasted chicken program as well. The store also has a sushi counter, small soup bar, and small salad bar.

It will be interesting to see how these programs do. I have not seen these programs before and wonder if they are popping up elsewhere? I have seen Whole Foods with BBQ offerings, but their program is much better than this. I have also seen Whole Foods with burrito offerings at a lower price point but can't speak for the quality of those.

The prices represent a poor value in my view and the quality of the offering is fine, but not outstanding enough to justify the pricing.

klkla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Kroger Deli Hot Food Programs

Post by klkla » January 19th, 2018, 5:30 pm

The Ralphs at 3rd & Vermont in LA just remodeled into this exact program a month ago.

storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by storewanderer » January 19th, 2018, 11:17 pm

Interesting location choice for that program in a Ralphs. I wonder how it is doing there?

Is the pricing the same? $7 for mexican burrito/bowl, $7.99 BBQ Platter, $6.99 BBQ Sandwich, $10.99 rack ribs? These prices seem too high for Smiths, but might be the right prices in Los Angeles. Then again the $7 price point on the burrito/bowl may be too high in Los Angeles based on how many independent restaurants/take away places there offer similar food.

rwsandiego
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post by rwsandiego » January 20th, 2018, 3:16 pm

storewanderer wrote:
January 19th, 2018, 11:17 pm
Interesting location choice for that program in a Ralphs. I wonder how it is doing there?

Is the pricing the same? $7 for mexican burrito/bowl, $7.99 BBQ Platter, $6.99 BBQ Sandwich, $10.99 rack ribs? These prices seem too high for Smiths, but might be the right prices in Los Angeles. Then again the $7 price point on the burrito/bowl may be too high in Los Angeles based on how many independent restaurants/take away places there offer similar food.
That was my first reaction until thinking that friends who work in downtown LA and live on the Westside drive up Third to get home. Very convenient to stop, pick something up, and continue home.

klkla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by klkla » January 20th, 2018, 5:14 pm

storewanderer wrote:
January 19th, 2018, 11:17 pm

Is the pricing the same? $7 for mexican burrito/bowl, $7.99 BBQ Platter, $6.99 BBQ Sandwich, $10.99 rack ribs?
I'll check it out when I get back to LA next week. It was busy but I didn't look at the specifics. It looks very similar to the hot food arrangement and the now closed Main & Vine in the Pacific Northwest. Maybe this is one of the lessons they learned from that venture.