Kroger name on gas pumps at non-Kroger banner stores?

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Kroger name on gas pumps at non-Kroger banner stores?

Post by storewanderer »

I notice something new. There is a Smiths here with a gas station under construction. It is almost done, the signs up, and pumps in, etc.

I notice on the gas pumps: half of the gas pumps say Smiths on the pump skirt, the other pumps all say Kroger on the pump skirt...

I have never seen this before... also I find it weird you have a gas station where different pumps have a different name on them under the same fuel canopy. If the each pump displayed both the Smiths and Kroger logos it would make some sense... but this is very odd.

Maybe a fluke, but it is interesting it is half and half.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Kroger name on gas pumps at non-Kroger banner stores?

Post by architect »

storewanderer wrote: January 28th, 2018, 7:10 pm I notice something new. There is a Smiths here with a gas station under construction. It is almost done, the signs up, and pumps in, etc.

I notice on the gas pumps: half of the gas pumps say Smiths on the pump skirt, the other pumps all say Kroger on the pump skirt...

I have never seen this before... also I find it weird you have a gas station where different pumps have a different name on them under the same fuel canopy. If the each pump displayed both the Smiths and Kroger logos it would make some sense... but this is very odd.

Maybe a fluke, but it is interesting it is half and half.
I'm sure that this will be fixed pretty quickly. The brand name is just a simple decal which can be easily switched out, very odd though.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Circle K has been installing new orange and red fuel pumps in the Phoenix area with the new logo. Some of the new pumps have "miles" lettering, some don't. The Kroger signed pumps may have come from a closed store in another division and they decided to reuse them.
Super S

Post by Super S »

jamcool wrote: January 29th, 2018, 11:32 am Circle K has been installing new orange and red fuel pumps in the Phoenix area with the new logo. Some of the new pumps have "miles" lettering, some don't. The Kroger signed pumps may have come from a closed store in another division and they decided to reuse them.
Or perhaps there was a large order made for new pumps with different logos and the wrong ones were shipped to this location.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The station is now open and the Kroger logos remain on half (actually more than half) of the pumps. I don't want to read too much into this but find it strange.
Pumps.jpg
a42887
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by a42887 »

storewanderer wrote: February 11th, 2018, 9:24 am The station is now open and the Kroger logos remain on half (actually more than half) of the pumps. I don't want to read too much into this but find it strange.
It appears from what I can see that the pumps that have diesel have the Kroger logo, and the ones that do not have the Smith's logo. I bet if you check the meters on the Kroger-branded pumps that they have significantly higher values than the Smith's pumps, pointing to reutilization of equipment from somewhere else. I'm sure they'll catch it eventually.
Super S

Post by Super S »

a42887 wrote: May 20th, 2018, 8:09 am
storewanderer wrote: February 11th, 2018, 9:24 am The station is now open and the Kroger logos remain on half (actually more than half) of the pumps. I don't want to read too much into this but find it strange.
It appears from what I can see that the pumps that have diesel have the Kroger logo, and the ones that do not have the Smith's logo. I bet if you check the meters on the Kroger-branded pumps that they have significantly higher values than the Smith's pumps, pointing to reutilization of equipment from somewhere else. I'm sure they'll catch it eventually.
It would be much appreciated if the picture can be fixed so it isn't upside down...

I wonder though if the Kroger logo is present so that those who may be traveling will be more aware that it is a Kroger-owned station and can use their gas rewards etc. Although many people are aware if they travel a lot, some people have no clue if they are traveling and see unfamiliar stations, and a lot of major oil brands such as Chevron, Shell, etc. are not present in all states.

It also makes you wonder if there is some kind of weird thing going on where Kroger wants their name present to keep a trademark in use on gasoline in states where they do not operate stores under the Kroger brand, much like the Standard name being used on selected Chevron stations.